U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2012, 07:57 PM

472 posts, read 395,588 times

Advertisements

I have 4 crepe myrtles in my yard. One of them had flowers on only two limbs and then only like one tip on each limb ( one flower bunch on each limb). It is the kind that sheds its bark. The one next to is does not shed bark and it is full of flowers. What could be the problem? Same water - same exposure to the sun.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 08:23 PM

4,740 posts, read 8,806,182 times
Might not be a problem - they're different varieties and may have different blooming times or patterns.

For example, I have some 'Natchez' crape myrtles (shed bark, white flowers). This year they flowered early, then dropped all their flowers (drought?), and now are blooming again better than earlier.

Crape myrtles bloom on new wood, so if you had a hard freeze or drought or some other damage, it may have affected flowering. However, that does not mean you should prune the crape myrtle back in hopes of encouraging flowering (no crape murder). IMO crape myrtles don't need much, if any, pruning. Pruning crossed branches and damaged limbs is good, pruning suckers is good, and at times I'll prune for shape. If the plant is in a good location you shouldn't have to prune for size.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:01 PM

2,063 posts, read 6,523,758 times
I had the same thoughts as Reactionary, it sounds like you have several varieties. They have different growth rates, sizes, growth patterns (some are more "vase" shaped others are rounded, some are "spreading" or "weeping"). On some flowering occurs only a little at the tips and others have larger flower clusters on their stems. Some will be early bloomers and others will start much later. Some varieties will have the the peeling bark look (known as Exfoliating Bark) and others stay more smooth.

While the lack of blooms may be related to levels of water or soil conditions you can't know what to expect without knowing what the tree should be doing. Some are not as floriferous as others. Try and find out exactly which varieties you have to see if they are behaving very abnormally for what they should be doing before worrying about doing anything. Most crape myrtles thrive on benign neglect and it may just be the strange weather patterns in much of the USA this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden