Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 07:57 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,304,389 times

Advertisements

I live in San Diego, and haven't seen any hummingbirds yet this year. I cleaned my two feeders, and refilled them with fresh sugar water, and none have showed up yet. But last year, they were fighting over my two feeders and dive bombing me.

Has anyone else had this problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 08:22 PM

22,556 posts, read 47,605,466 times
Ours have been here since the beginning of May... and are still fighting with each other to feed.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:45 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,390,574 times
Not in MD. I planted some monarda didyma (red) and the hummingbirds seem to enjoy it. The birds also visited my lilium henryi of all things.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:44 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,776,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I live in San Diego, and haven't seen any hummingbirds yet this year. I cleaned my two feeders, and refilled them with fresh sugar water, and none have showed up yet. But last year, they were fighting over my two feeders and dive bombing me.

Weather patterns have been a bit whacky this year which have an effect on how many birds are around. It sounds like it has been cooler than normal for southern CA which may have reduced their numbers a little. Have their been any major changes to the neighborhood? If their local habitat has been disrupted or eliminated all the feeders in the world won't bring them in. Have many trees and plants been removed for construction? Sometimes weeds take over in their natural habitats that are not supportive to feeding or nesting and they will move on.

Obviously hearing what someone on the other coast has in their garden is useless to your problem and won't help determine why you haven't seen any where there should be at least a few year round. Most of the people in the eastern half of the country see mostly migratory hummers, the Ruby Throated Hummingbird. Anna's Hummingbirds are supposed to be permanent residents in your area and should be there all the time if they see a feeder. Any of the migratory kinds in California would have moved through long ago in early spring and it just a bit early for the fall migration taking them southward.

You may want to check in with a local birding group to see if anyone else is reporting less (or no) hummers this year in your area to see if it is just your neighborhood. If it is just your garden then next year try planting a few red flowers that are known to attract them nearby to help attract them to the feeders once again. Don't give up, you may still get migrating hummers and have some winter time guests in the near future.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Ours have been here since the beginning of May... and are still fighting with each other to feed.
This is what I had last year. They were fighting and dive bombing everyone that walked by.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:42 PM

An apartment building on my block was sold, and the owner cut down the tree in the front yard, because it made such a mess all the time.

I have two hanging planters with red geraniums in them, and they're next to the feeders. I rent, and can't plant anything in the ground, so I'm limited as to what I can do.

Old 08-18-2012, 09:31 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,488,549 times
I finally saw a hummer 2 days ago (Dallas, TX). It didn't hit my feeder at all, but rather some salvia. Not sure what is going on as I usually have 2 or 3 fighting over the feeders by July.

Old 08-19-2012, 05:59 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,677,590 times
Here in the California Central valley we are thick with them this year. Must have been the mild winter that increased survivability.

I love watching those bejeweled dare devils flitting about the trees and bushes.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:34 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,297,179 times
They have been off and on here in NC. Not my usual large amount but I did have to change my feeder as the old one finally broke so maybe that is a part of my problem. Also I've seen more neighbors hanging up feeders--although we live quite rural between farms and there is plenty of the natural flowers for them to feed from which is probably much better for them in reality but I do miss having so many of them.

Old 08-19-2012, 08:44 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,620,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post

I live in the North East, and I have different hummingbirds this year. They are black and very small. Not one of the beautiful red-colored ones has shown. Global warming, maybe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden