Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2012, 09:51 AM

1,322 posts, read 3,463,394 times

Advertisements

I am hoping we have another month or so in zone 5 before we get a hard frost but it was a rough season and my flowers did not perform as usual. I am thinking of adding some bloom booster for a last blast before the end of the season. I know it won't be an issue for my annuals but will it harm my perennials? What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 01:38 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,893,298 times
It's very easy to burn your plants with Bloom Booster.
Most people use it because they have plants that actually require
that to bloom or produce additional arms.
I burned my dahlia earlier this season with it, I added to much to the
water in the watering can.
It is coming back and is green again, but if you must use it,
dilute it big time!
From now on, I will use diluted Miracle grow on my dahlias.
Just be careful and really dilute it.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:41 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,751,233 times
Fall is coming soon isn't it and I remember all to well how it was in my old Zone 5, I didn't want summer to end so quickly. Obviously it is your choice but I would not do it.

True bloom booster fertilizers are usually very high in Phosphorus. Perennials are naturally winding down their growth and flower production (except for mums, asters and other "late" bloomers). Aside from providing a few additional bud and flowers. In addition it may stimulate some root growth but if there is already more than enough Phosphorus in the soil (like previous fertilizer used earlier in the season) that won't happen and it can bind up other essential micro nutrients (like Mg, Zn and Fe) right through spring, causing weakened and yellowed leaves.

On top of that, the extra nitrogen will also cause new leaf growth to be sparked just as the plant should be winding down. New leaves are very tender for quite some time. This means more of the less cold hardy portions of the plant will be exposed and will be more prone to suffer winter damage and become susceptible to diseases. So... if you go ahead and do use it you will enjoy those few extra blooms blooms but at the expense of healthy plants next spring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden