U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2012, 05:54 AM

6,474 posts, read 13,410,318 times

Advertisements

You do NOT want Bermuda grass. I guess someone's already said it. I put down blue fescue mix...You can also buy native grass mixes online, if you'd like. \I like blue fescue, I got my grass from home-depot/lowes.

Whatever you do, you'll need to rough up the ground w a rake, thrown down the grass seed and water it. Whenever I put my grass seed down in fall...it seems like it doesn't grow until Spring/Summer. The stuff I threw down in late spring seemed to come up the same summer.

BTW Foxy, I love u, but your spelling/grammar can be difficult to understand at times. I think it takes getting used to. Azora is nice, so I think she was simply pointing it out...not being mean.

Maybe you can try the "Firefox" browser...it is the only thing that saves me. It does spell-check right in my posts, so I don't have to use "Word" to check my posts.

Anyway, good luck w/ the grass. How are the roses doing?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 07:52 AM

9,486 posts, read 13,344,036 times
Foxy
We had mostly centipede grass in Memphis, not the prettiest, but should get the job done for what you want. There is a place called Nature's Earth on the far west side of Memphis that sells sod, maybe give them a call and get some advice?

Last edited by DubbleT; 09-01-2012 at 08:07 AM..

Old 09-01-2012, 02:02 PM

6,591 posts, read 19,777,789 times
thanks dubble...
will have to try firefox, i dont have any kind of wor/spell check program on my computer (just notepad)
and my keyboard sticks something terrible to top it off.

Most of the time its a case of my brain moving too fast for my fingers to keep up...because if i dont type it fast ill loose track of what i was trying to say...lol

definatly going to try for the centepede for the back yard..., im planning on doing a clover lawn for what small big of front yard i have, and will be putitng in a lot of flower and little gravel seating areas, i ust need a grassy roll around soft spot to keep it feeling somewhat like "home" lol.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:15 PM

1,752 posts, read 3,622,157 times
Foxy,
DOn't put centipede down.
It doesn't do well in high traffic areas, it loves bad sandy soil
and I am in zone 8, but sometimes it gets too cold here for it.
You will be wasting your money.
Go with a cool season grass where you live.
Kentucky Blue Grass.
They sell it mixed with another type of grass for faster coverage.
I had a dog that constantly peed all over my small yard, and
the only grass that survied was the KBG.
It spreads unlike other grassses, and will repair itself.
Now is the time in the next 4 weeks for you to prepare the yard for
your grass. Buy a regular sprinkler that goes back and forth, (Home Depo)
you will have to water at least twice a day.
Be patient and let it grow.
Then next spring, seed it again, water for a couple weeks, 2x a day,
then again in the fall next year.
You will have a nice think lawn, just keep seeding and watering and mowing
and feeding (next year buy Turf Builder), til the lawn is perfect.
I wish I could grow Kentucky Blue, I used to have it in PA, but now it's
too hot and dry and sandy here in South Carolina and I miss it bad.
Good Luck!
Don't give up on it, it will be gorgeous!

Old 09-02-2012, 03:33 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,093,264 times
Centipede does fine in clay soil. I have some and it thrives in my compacted clay. Centipede, at least the tifblair cultivar I have experience with tolerates traffic better than any other grass I've ever had. And to think it does so witho zero inputs at all (fertilizer nor irrigation) is incredible.

Kentucky bluegrass (known as Smooth Stalked Meadow Grass in the UK) is a very nice grass but it doesn't do well in the heat. It also requires lots of input (chemical fertilizer like the turfbuilder you mentioned and water and fungicide) which means more poisons for the dogs to get on their paws and more mud for the dogs to track in the house. It's not available as sod in Foxy's area either and it will just be a seasonal winter lawn if you can get it going from seed. (most probably a mud pit all winter long) It may be adapted to PA but PA doesn't have as much heat and in the south, hot muggy nights spell cool season turf diseases.

Contrary to popular belief, Kentucky Bluegrass does not come from Kentucky. It doesn't even do well in Kentucky either. It's native to Europe. (rainy cool summers)

Last edited by cittic10; 09-02-2012 at 04:07 PM..

Old 09-02-2012, 06:23 PM

6,591 posts, read 19,777,789 times
that actually always did confuddle me...why call it kentuky bluegrass when its not from kentucky lol...

its like english muffins...we dont have those in england! LOL (and no, crumpets are not the same thing LOL)

i was looking up my "grass zone" and im definatly in the midst of "the transitional zone"

Old 09-04-2012, 03:04 AM

3,133 posts, read 8,142,144 times
Kentucky Blue is a beautiful grass often used on golf course fairways. I wouldn't get it mixed with any cheap rye grass just to make it grow faster. My ducks, geese and rabbits didn't wear it out. I don't know about dogs.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:37 AM

2,117 posts, read 5,093,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
that actually always did confuddle me...why call it kentuky bluegrass when its not from kentucky lol...
And what I'd like to know is why people park on their driveway but drive on the parkway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
Kentucky Blue is a beautiful grass often used on golf course fairways.
This thread is about a low maintenance grass that will thrive in western tennessee, be soft underfoot, tolerate dog traffic and also be safe for dogs. It is not about the most beautiful grass that grows in pennsylvania.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:05 AM

6,081 posts, read 7,030,845 times
In the piedmont of NC I have an unseeded mix of bermuda, crabgrass, and clover all around my house. It stands up pretty well to the dogs. In the winter it is all bermuda, in spring clover comes in, and in summer crabgrass as well. This is why it is so sustainable: the bermuda spreads and re-roots continuously from stolons with apparently deep roots; the crabgrass reseeds itslf fresh every year, and the clover acts like a little fertilizer factory. In areas with clay soil, it has worked best for me to just take care of what grows there naturally--fertilizing in the spring, mowing frequently but not very short. The mix can be very thick in the summer, but it does not do well under trees.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:32 AM

7,359 posts, read 6,216,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
Well i think th etitle says it all... my back yard is very clay based i have 2 small and 1 large dog... i have ducks and geese and rabbits (and other animals but they wont have any acess to this section of the yard)
Foxy, have you ever considered NO GRASS? We replaced our weedy "lawn" with flower beds, berms of trees and shrubs, and a variety of ground covers (including clovers), and covered our walkways with sand. DH calls it our "beach." The birds love it -- before Bigun the wonder dog came to us, they would bask in it -- dusting and sunning themselves, and pick through it for bugs. The slugs hate it. And, it's so easy to "scoop."

The fact that we don't have to water it or mow it is secondary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or