U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2012, 09:06 AM

1,046 posts, read 1,817,785 times

Advertisements

It is probably too late to fix this for this year, but I would like to know how to fix it for next year.

Here goes,

We bought this house in the summer of 2011. There were 3 grape vines already planted along a wood fence. They are all growing, but only one of them was growing really well and produced a ton of grapes. (the two sections of fence on the right) The other 2 were growing, much smaller and next to no grapes. (the two plants on the left)

Fast forward to this year. I had thought they were just not pruned properly, so I researched a little into prunning grape vines. The two that were not producing any grapes and were much smaller, I pruned way back to just some leader canes. The plant that did produce grapes I only cut back a little as it looked like it was previously only cut back a little. (I figured it seemed to have worked this year, why mess with it) (and i was right)

Almost had the same exact results this year. The same grape vine that produced a ton of grapes in 2011 also produced a ton of grapes in 2012, but overgrew the fence this year, I think i need to cut this one grape vine back a little more next spring.

The other two again had the same results, grew a bit but produced no grapes and look tiny compared to grape producing vine.

The picture was taken at the end of June, so the plants have since grown a little more.

With all that said, I guess im looking for advice on how to get the other two grape vines to produce grapes, Should I prune less next spring? could it have something to do with the soil? I believe they all get the same amount of sun

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Concord Grape Vine Help-20120629_073031-custom-.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 09:38 AM

2,117 posts, read 5,102,376 times
What does the soil test indicate? What is drainage like? What is going on beneath the soil?

Old 09-06-2012, 10:23 AM

25,631 posts, read 29,167,186 times
Lots of good compost mixed 50/50 with native soil I suspect is needed. Plus as Cittic stated what is the drainage like. Need good drainage for grapes. Sun do the two in question get the same sun as the bountiful vine? Are the other two diseased in anyway?

Old 09-06-2012, 10:26 AM
Status: "My eyes are rolled back so far I can see my brain." (set 19 days ago)

13,396 posts, read 11,909,944 times
Don't prune the ones that are not producing grapes. By letting them grow larger, they will develop a deeper root system which will allow them to grow into a more robust plant. Once they grow out (may take a few years), you can begin trimming. You only need to trim enough to keep the vines on the fence (or trellis), not all the way to the trunk. You will also need to trim them during the growing season (assuming they are growing well). Trim them out just beyond where you see the fruit developing. That will force the nutrients into the fruit.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:36 AM

1,046 posts, read 1,817,785 times
Thanks for the imput guys, I may try what retroit recommended with the pruning. I dont think its a drainage issue, as the soil drains pretty good up there, as its ontop of a large stone retaining wall. The soil may be part of the problem, I should get a soil test done. but again, i dont see why the soil would be that much different 15 feet away from the other grape vine that is doing great, They are basically in the lawn, and the lawn all gets treated with the same fertilizers and lime.

The plant closest to the house, may miss out on some of the morning sun, but it does get sun in the mid day and afternoon.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:40 AM

25,631 posts, read 29,167,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris410 View Post
Thanks for the imput guys, I may try what retroit recommended with the pruning. I dont think its a drainage issue, as the soil drains pretty good up there, as its ontop of a large stone retaining wall. The soil may be part of the problem, I should get a soil test done. but again, i dont see why the soil would be that much different 15 feet away from the other grape vine that is doing great, They are basically in the lawn, and the lawn all gets treated with the same fertilizers and lime.

The plant closest to the house, may miss out on some of the morning sun, but it does get sun in the mid day and afternoon.
Have either of the two weaklings been damaged by a weed eater? since you stated they are in the grass, which BTW is not a good idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden