Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 11:30 PM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times

Advertisements

Read this article, it should answer all your questions:
Orange Tree Care

I see you're in CA. Remember this has been a long hot strenous summer for plants new and established ones. The first year is usually the toughest til it gets established. Citrus need a deep slow watering every 1-2 weeks depending on the temps. If in doubt pick up a moisture meter at any garden center. It will indicate when to water your plants. For about 6-7 dollars it could save a lot of headaches and plants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 08:00 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Read this article, it should answer all your questions:
Orange Tree Care

I see you're in CA. Remember this has been a long hot strenous summer for plants new and established ones. The first year is usually the toughest til it gets established. Citrus need a deep slow watering every 1-2 weeks depending on the temps. If in doubt pick up a moisture meter at any garden center. It will indicate when to water your plants. For about 6-7 dollars it could save a lot of headaches and plants.
I have a moisture meter but it is only about 8-10 inches long - it will only measure moisture maybe 8-10 inches deep. Would that be OK for a tree, OR is it really more suitable for flowers and shrubs with roots that aren't as deep?

Old 10-21-2012, 07:45 PM

Rule of thumb. You only need to read down 6-8 inches to see what's going on. If the meter shows any indication in the green area of the meter reading then you have plenty of water since the deeper you go the wetter it is. Any red or near red means time to water. Plants get used to a regular scheduled watering and that's what you need to learn about your plants care and needs. Citrus overwatering can develop various disease problems from gummosis to other fungal problems. With new plants their drinking roots are very small and very hairy like. Overwatering rots them off and causes growth problems. Improper watering, either over or under, is the #1 cause of plant failure.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:49 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,031,211 times
Generally with fruit trees around here they sort of sit there for rather a long time after they are transplanted. They seem to grow roots before they put out new leaves.

If that were my tree, I'd put a lot of mulch around it. It looks dry, orange leaves sort of curl when they are dry and flatten out when they are happy. Perhaps the soil drains too much?

Old 10-24-2012, 05:11 PM

1,285 posts, read 3,607,951 times
Default Citrus Trees

I am moving to Port St Lucie Florida and would like to plant a few citrus trees, Is there a reason no one has citrus in their yards? pests?

Old 10-24-2012, 06:51 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Generally with fruit trees around here they sort of sit there for rather a long time after they are transplanted. They seem to grow roots before they put out new leaves.

If that were my tree, I'd put a lot of mulch around it. It looks dry, orange leaves sort of curl when they are dry and flatten out when they are happy. Perhaps the soil drains too much?
I hope you are right. It isn't dying. It just isn't growing. I think I read something similiar online about it needs to establish before it takes off.

I water the heck out of it but it could be draining too much..

Old 10-30-2012, 04:50 PM

1 posts, read 3,758 times
I have a little Washington Tree and have never grown oranges before, it has been in the ground for 18months and the first year it had thousands and I mean thousands of blooms, I picked them all off and now I have about 5 blooms, WILL I GET FRUIT????, it is very healthy, when I planted it I put organic mulch and mushroom compost and new soil and I water like crazy I also give it Seasol and Powerfeed every two weeks
Many thanks
Lorraine Whitford LARA VIC

Old 10-30-2012, 07:59 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,184,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LorraineW View Post
I have a little Washington Tree and have never grown oranges before, it has been in the ground for 18months and the first year it had thousands and I mean thousands of blooms, I picked them all off and now I have about 5 blooms, WILL I GET FRUIT????, it is very healthy, when I planted it I put organic mulch and mushroom compost and new soil and I water like crazy I also give it Seasol and Powerfeed every two weeks
Many thanks
Lorraine Whitford LARA VIC
why on earth did you pick the blossom off? And NO, you won't get fruit if those five blooms were not pollinated. Tha's why you leave the bossoms on the tree. The butterlies,etc, just aren't going to pollinate all of them. The more blooms you have, the more insect attracting odors you have. Just a few blooms won't do it.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:46 AM

1,285 posts, read 3,607,951 times
I mulched around some meyer improved lemon trees in New Orleans and termites attacked the base where the mulch touched the tree. I got to it before much happened, if you mulch pull the mulch away from the trunk and use Bayer System Insecticide. It also benefits from oil spray. Most citrus self polinate.

Old 11-01-2012, 02:26 AM

Pollinating info for citrus if interested:
Cross-Pollination of Citrus Trees | eHow.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden