Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 08:52 PM

842 posts, read 2,587,046 times

Advertisements

Is there anyone here that knows of a good tiller for the home? I was looking at the Mantis tillers which seems a bit expensive and need to know if they are worth the price tag of around $300 plus. Any one knows of a decent one that cost less or if the Mantis is a very good one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 09:16 PM

899 posts, read 2,941,350 times
I have a mantis and have had it for over 10 years and just love it...They can be stinkers to start but are just great
for small garden area's..I think when people can no longer need their mantis they will it to their kids thats how good they
are..
Enjoy it..

Old 12-12-2012, 09:11 AM

842 posts, read 2,587,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamh View Post
I have a mantis and have had it for over 10 years and just love it...They can be stinkers to start but are just great
for small garden area's..I think when people can no longer need their mantis they will it to their kids thats how good they
are..
Enjoy it..
I have clay soil ... how effective would you say that they are in ripping up the clumps to a managable state? Just how powerful is it compared to another type of tiller. They all seem to be very expensive, what do you think about this one Mantis® Gas Roto-Tiller (7225-00-02) - Cultivators - Ace Hardware .

Is it better to get an electric one versus a gas one etc? Based on your experience, what should I be looking for or recommend?

Old 12-12-2012, 09:16 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
If your ripping through clay get a hydraulic tiller. You'll need to rent it because its probably out of your price range. However it will drastically reduce tilling time and difficulty.

You might be able to find a good used one though.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:35 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,367,641 times
The main question is, what do you want to do with this tiller?

If you're wanting to do a little very light "soil stirring" a micro-tiller like the Mantis will do just fine. Wonderfully, in fact.

If, however, you're wanting to till a whole garden, or tear up sod, the Mantis is NOT going to do the job for you. You'll want (at least) a rear-tine walk-behind tiller for that. And, as Bulldogdad said, you should probably rent one. It'll cost you about $50 for the day to rent it, as opposed to spending $1,000 to buy one new.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:10 AM

8,575 posts, read 12,395,872 times
First of all, it depends upon how large of an area you hope to till and the composition of your soil. If you have heavy clay soil, like I do, you shouldn't even consider a Mantis tiller. It's simply too lightweight and won't do the job. As has been recommended, you'll most likely need a good rear-tined tiller. Also, you really need a gas powered tiller. I don't know of any electric tiller that would be suitable; they'd always have less power anyway.

But if you think $300 is expensive for a good tiller, I agree that you should look into renting or just paying someone to till it for you. You might be able to find a good used tiller for sale. I still prefer Troy-bilt, but I'm sure there are other brands that would be suitable, too.

Old 12-12-2014, 10:18 AM

4 posts, read 4,651 times
just brought home my fathers tiller, troybilt wheel horse 1, 2 speed and forward and reverse rotation. live just north of tampa fl. going to check out the tiller and prepare soil (60x40) foot garden for spring

Old 12-12-2014, 10:50 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,347,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamh View Post
are..
Enjoy it..
"Stinkers to start" is an understatement. I hated our Mantis, eventually gave it to a friend, after it had been professionally tuned up and still would never start and keep running. Every now and then it would start, and run for about five seconds. He was never able to get it to start -- not even once. He donated it to Goodwill.

Now we have a small Stihl tiller which isn't always easy to start, but it's never impossible like the Mantis was. I think anything that has a pull-cord start and uses a gas-oil fuel mixture is always going to give you some trouble.

So I disagree. I think the Mantis is junk.

Old 12-13-2014, 05:01 PM

4 posts, read 4,651 times
Default my tiller

just brought home my fathers tiller, it is a troybilt wheelhorse 1. has a 7 hp kolher, going to do tune up , then start my garden. 60x40 and plant in the spring. live 30 miles n of tampa.

Old 12-15-2014, 09:18 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
The Mantis is a great little tiller for raised beds, inside a greenhouse, or narrow garden strips. I would not go with electric, they don't have the power to get through the roots of the previous year's plants. For a larger area the 5-10hp tillers are more appropriate, as they will do at least 5-6 times more width on each pass. For the really big garden of 1/2 acre or more it's best to hire someone with a tractor-mounted tiller once a year. The 2-cycle is about $300, but I'd spend the additional money and get the 4 cycle version. It goes 16" wide and has a Honda engine. The cheaper one is 9" and you have to mix the gas and oil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden