U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 01-04-2013, 04:56 PM

2,615 posts, read 6,286,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Based on the place I'm living now, I'd say Redwoods. I live in a small complex surrounded by over a dozen Giant Coast Redwood trees. The owners have had to replace all the sidewalks with elevated board walks because the roots had destroyed the concrete. The roots have also totally destroyed the irrigation system. They also are damaging the foundations, and clogging the sewers, and are pushing against a retaining wall that is endanger of collapsing onto neighboring properties.

Apparently there used to be many other types of trees on the grounds as well. But they have all died, are dying, or will eventually die, because the Redwoods block all the sunlight. The trees drop so many needles so fast, that they have to pay gardeners to come on a weekly basis to clean up the yard. The neighbors also complain about the mess the trees cause to their property. During storms, large branches beak off and cause damage to the roofs. I have been told that sometime in the past, two of the trees blew over in a storm, and crushed all the cars in the parking lot.

Best part, the trees are only 35 years old. Some of them are up to 10 feet in diameter and over a 100 feet high, and they are not even mature yet. Makes me happy I don't own the property.
All the offenses you list are not the fault of the beautiful redwood tree, but the fault of the nitwit who planted "over a dozen" giant coast redwoods on a small piece of property.

Redwoods get a reprieve. The installer gets a dunce cap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 01-04-2013, 05:33 PM

4,786 posts, read 6,055,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Leyland Cypress is a biggie. In addition to the listed reasons, it is a short lived tree. Usually dies within five or ten years of planting.

I would also add Monterey Pine, unless you live within five miles of the Pacific Ocean. Fast growing, but usually dies within 20 years if planted inland.
Ugh... Unfortunately when newbies (like I was) are out looking for "fast-growing trees" or "trees for privacy," Leyland cypress used to be one of the first ones recommended. I chose to get rid of the LC's I had hastily planted before I knew better.

The size wouldn't have been a problem, but the diseases, short life-span and weak root system were deal-breakers.

I do see quite a few on smaller properties, though. Those homeowners are in for a surprise when the trees reach their mature size. I did keep a single Leyland cypress. I pruned it into a standard It is actually pretty cute.

Unread 01-04-2013, 06:47 PM

102 posts, read 66,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredmertz100 View Post
In general, this is good information, but there are always exceptions. The back half-acre of my yard is about 25 feet lower than the main yard and tends to stay wet. I planted a couple small willows that grew into beautiful trees within a couple years. The hungry roots gorged on the wet soil and turned a mud pit into a nice lawn. Eight years later, the trees are 30 feet tall and gorgeous. They will probably stay that way for at least another 10 years. The insects (good and bad) also love the willow trees and the birds love the insects. The birds also love the two mulberry trees I have planted on the back edge of my property. Another tree I personally would add to the "bad" list would be Sweetgum. It seems like I'm always raking up huge quantities of "gumballs," picking up old limbs, and the pollen tassels are huge and fill my gutters. Like they say; a weed is any plant you don't want.
I live on top of a mountain with a few thousand rolling empty acres behind me. When we first moved in we had a problem in heavy storms with water rolling off from the higher elevations into our basement. We installed a french drain which did not help. So then we planted a few willow trees about five years ago on the back of our property, still an acre away from our house, and we haven't had any issues since. As long as you have the land and the roots affecting any pipes won't be an issue, they can be an excellent choice and save you from water damage.

Unread 01-04-2013, 08:37 PM

4,425 posts, read 3,923,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
of course the sweetgum should be #1. I broke my ankle and took a nasty fall tripping on one hidden in the lawn and we don't have one in our yard. a bird must have brought it over. How I hate SweetGum trees.
For shame! Sorry about the fall, though. I love my sweetgum, it's about the only fall color I get in my area (aside from the crape myrtles). I know they're messy, but my tree is huge, came with the house. Our tree guy said it's one of the largest he's seen in Dallas proper, since they're really better suited in East Texas.

Unread 01-04-2013, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
--not officially a 'tree' but they will get enormous--

The Red Tip Photinia. (Fraser's photinia)

Hideous, disease ridden, ungainly, ugly overplanted bush.
(whoever Fraser was, he should be charged with crimes against shrubbery)

This bush should be banned from the nursery trade.
Ugh. That one came with my last house. I hated it.

Unread 01-04-2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Actually I think it is at least in Georgia. I started my career in landscape design in the 70's when photinia was all the rage. In the Atlanta area they were so over planted. Didn't take long for them to turn really ugly and die leaving gaping holes in landscapes. I doubt you could even find them in any nursery in the Atlanta area and that is a good thing.

A Mimosa tree is considered pretty by some and it certainly is hardy but it a nuisance tree taking over valuable space from more worthy trees. We've had the Mimosa argument here on this forum before. It certainly does have its champions but it is a huge trash tree with so many negatives which way outweigh it's so called attractiveness.
I wish I could remember the direct quote from Howard Garrett, the Dirt Doctor. Something about Mimosa being a tree for men who wear leisure suits. LOL

Unread 01-04-2013, 09:00 PM

4,100 posts, read 2,355,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
All the offenses you list are not the fault of the beautiful redwood tree, but the fault of the nitwit who planted "over a dozen" giant coast redwoods on a small piece of property.

Redwoods get a reprieve. The installer gets a dunce cap.
Actually it probably worked well for the nitwits who planted the trees, 35 years ago. They got really big trees fast, and then sold the property. It's going to be future owners, who are going have a big problem.

I just thought it was a good example of a tree, that you should never ever plant in your yard.

Unread 01-04-2013, 10:07 PM

1,684 posts, read 807,750 times
I would add one of my biggest mistakes a Tamarisk, Tamarix ramosissima, not technically a tree but they grow pretty high and fast. Salt Ceder commonly called. They are beautiful and showy pink feathery blooms and everyone loved it. The whole subdivision had landscaping done by the same company and the neighbors thrived with no problems. But I added the Tamarisk. Since then I had to replace 3 trees, one at a time, not 10 feet away. I always wondered why MY trees would not grow. All my other plants in that garden in front of my house did not grow and were always sickly dying looking.

After I moved I wanted a Tamarisk so I looked it up to see if it was compatible with all my hostas. I read that they are desert plants that have enormous tap roots and create their own salt that gets dropped on the soil and kills other plants so it can establish and take over. So now I know why my three trees died one after the other.

Invasive species
Tamarix ramosissima has naturalized and become a major invasive plant species in parts of the world, such as in the Southwestern United States and Desert Region of California, consuming large amounts of groundwater in riparian and oases habitats. The balance and strength of the native flora and fauna is being restored by tamarisk eradication projects

The leaves are scale-like, 1–2 mm long, and overlap each other along the stem. They are often encrusted with salt secretions.

Tamarix species are fire-adapted, and have long tap roots that allow them to intercept deep water tables and exploit natural water resources. They are able to limit competition from other plants by taking up salt from deep ground water, accumulating it in their foliage, and from there depositing it in the surface soil where it builds up concentrations temporarily detrimental to some plants.
Attached Thumbnails
11 trees you should never ever plant in your yard-summer_glow_tamarix_shrub.jpeg  

Unread 01-05-2013, 05:38 AM

1,120 posts, read 811,203 times
Default Mimosa

Sure makes a good cocktail

Unread 01-05-2013, 09:55 AM

2,065 posts, read 2,514,670 times
The list was fairly spot on for trees planted in any kind of urban/dense suburban setting. The ash seemed such a strange addition but I can see the point that it may become infected with the borer. I would have added the Mimosa before that, it is horribly invasive here. The other one they could have added is the invasive Princesstree (Paulownia tomentosa). In fact I think the most common problem is that people have always sought out fast growing and at home in any climate trees which, by their very nature, often make them invasive as well!

Willows are a situational issue and can be planted in some settings so I don't think it belonged on the list ahead of other problem trees. Willows got a bad name from invading old clay pipes (not more modern and sealed pipes) and damaging other moisture laden and porous structures (septic systems, cesspools, wells and springs) but they do have a place in more open water saturated soils as several posters have mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden