U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 05:33 PM

8,957 posts, read 17,021,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissRedThumb View Post
Thanks for the book recommendation! A few weeks ago, it was definitely starting to get confusing and overwhelming. I'm not looking to grow anything fancy this summer. I just want a few fresh tomatoes and maybe some extra greens. If I can do that, I'll be happy.

I have a basic idea of what I want to accomplish now. I looked online for a local nursery with a lot of good reviews. I'll go check them out soon.
Tomato's are easy to grow. The key is KEEP THEM OFF THE GROUND i.e. invest in tomato cages and stake them for support. If you need to fertilize them sprinkle "Miracle-Gro" ON TOP of the ground near the plant base then let the water wick the fertilizer down slowly.

"Miracle-Gro" is a safe fertilizer for a newbie to use since too much fertilizer can burn a plant.

Lots of safe info to get you started......
Miracle-Gro® Garden Kits

Amazon.com: Miracle-Gro 1001232 All Purpose Plant Food - 5 Pound: Patio, Lawn & Garden
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 01:57 AM

1,315 posts, read 3,059,902 times
Question about the Miracle Grow potting soil which has the food release in it that last 6 months or so. Can I use that exclusivley in pots to plant petunias and and other hardy flowers? And as the summer goes on and the soil gets compacted just add another inch ot two? Is is that easy?

Old 03-14-2013, 05:50 AM

57 posts, read 31,229 times
Yeah, I'm not going crazy with a dozen plants to tend. Three or four in a small space and I'll be good. I know that Miracle Gro is a byword among most experienced gardeners, but right now I need to control as many variables as I can until I get a successful harvest.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:28 AM

2,063 posts, read 6,248,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdcdguy View Post
Question about the Miracle Grow potting soil which has the food release in it that last 6 months or so. Can I use that exclusivley in pots to plant petunias and and other hardy flowers? And as the summer goes on and the soil gets compacted just add another inch ot two? Is is that easy?
Already answered in the other thread. Yes you can use that in containers and pots. It is a mix designed for the needs of container grown plants and shouldn't compact much. Although I prefer unfertilized potting soil mixes they are getting hard to come by and sometimes are of poor quality. It shouldn't compact much at all if you plant correctly and tamp down the soil around each seedling firmly. You also need to leave a space below the lip of the pot so water doesn't run off the soil an over the top. also make sure there are lots of drain holes so even in bad rains the plants aren't sitting in water.

Quote:
Yeah, I'm not going crazy with a dozen plants to tend. Three or four in a small space and I'll be good. I know that Miracle Gro is a byword among most experienced gardeners, but right now I need to control as many variables as I can until I get a successful harvest.
I'm not sure I understand what the colored word you used means in this case. There are lots of experienced people who use Miracle Gro all the time. It is not the only choice, and after a long time gardening, you will find that you need different things for different plants and that includes fertilizer types and brands.

For vegetables or fruit, if you have any concerns and want to play it safe, there are plenty of organic fertilizers available. One of the most easy to find at the box stores and local nurseries would be the Epsoma brand (all of its fertilizers end with "-Tone" as in Garden-Tone and Holly-Tone). If you aren't planting flowers then look for something formulated specifically for what you are growing; vegetables, fruit or tomatoes. Every brand has instructions on its bag/container and you need to follow those.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdcdguy View Post
Always fertilizer plants by sprinkling the fertilizer around the plant on top of the soil so it can wick into the ground slowly over time when watering

Old 03-14-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
You will get a successful harvest with Miracle Gro so what are you waiting for??

There has to be a reason that experienced gardeners use it and recommend it.

You go messing about experimenting with other fertilizers and all you'll do is burn up plants.

Is that what you want?????

Old 03-14-2013, 01:35 PM

57 posts, read 31,229 times
Oh I am definitely using MG to start. All I meant was, to some gardeners you mention MG and they fly off about the evils of store-bought fertilizer. I don't to argue with anyone.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:27 PM

14,635 posts, read 17,170,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
You will get a successful harvest with Miracle Gro so what are you waiting for??

There has to be a reason that experienced gardeners use it and recommend it.

You go messing about experimenting with other fertilizers and all you'll do is burn up plants.

Is that what you want?????
I'm an experienced gardener - and I don't use MG. I use Osmocote for everything except citrus and plants that need a big acid boost - like azaleas. Note that Osmocote is a time release fertilizer. Which is a pretty good thing since I don't feel like going out in July and spending hours in the hot sun. Robyn

Old 03-14-2013, 03:46 PM

14,635 posts, read 17,170,595 times
Quote:
Oh I am definitely using MG to start. All I meant was, to some gardeners you mention MG and they fly off about the evils of store-bought fertilizer. I don't to argue with anyone.
You can always find people to rant about the evils of anything (and everything). First - pick your plants - keeping in mind their various needs. You can perhaps eliminate some plants based on their various needs. For example - I'd never try to grow impatiens here - because we have water rationing and limitations on using irrigation systems. Which means that I'd have to hand water those things daily in the summer. Forget about that . Also - not only does citrus need heavy fertilizing - it also has a tendency to freeze and die here in north Florida if we have a cold winter. Not to mention that citrus is expensive (it's not like losing a $2 basil plant when it gets cool/cold in November/December).

The old saying is right plant/right place. But I will add to that. Right plant/right place/right gardener. Know what you're willing to do - in the space you have - and pick your plants accordingly (also keep the costs in minds).

For example - this is one of my favorite spring plantings:

Pentas - Plant Encyclopedia - BHG.com

They're common as dirt here. But they are pretty much bulletproof where I live from about April through October. Only thing I have to do is "dead-head" the flowers about twice in the spring/summer.

Another plant I love is milkweed (for Monarch butterflies). Look at the last syllable of the name. That should tell you something about how much care it needs .

Anyway - you decide what you like - what you want - what you're willing to do - and what you wind up with. Robyn

Old 03-14-2013, 04:35 PM

15,535 posts, read 29,266,824 times
I would google "no Till Gardening" by Ruth Stout. Read this book before you decide how you want to approach the whole gardening issue. We follow this method and it has been amazing.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden