Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 01:54 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
We should wait until April 15th or we risk having to cover everything. I'm getting itchy to get started on planting spring flowers and am repeating "it's too early" as needed. I think I'll go to my favorite garden store this weekend and plan what to put in the pots on the patio. No buying, just planning!
ldon't know where you live but we ae supposed to wait until, at least April 15th. I usually jump ahead, depending on just what the forcast looks like, The biggest problem with planting seeds early is the ground can be too cold to have them germinate any faster than waiting a few weeks. I just get so excited, sometimes I can't wait...Now, if the doctor gives me one more cortazone shot for my knee I will be all set..Don't think he will!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 05:28 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,132,037 times
I have moved to the PNW, and spring really looks like it has arrived. I don't know if this is false spring or not, but the daffodils are blooming, the forsythia is popping out, as well as the blooms on the red maples, and I and DH have been doing some yard cleanup. We moved in in October, with no tools, so we have done nothing till now.

I have no idea if I can do this, so I went ahead and did. Daylilies are up in a raised planter. We dug them out, cut them in half and replanted in a nice bed we redug that gets a lot of sun. I have hopes that they will be OK.

About 10 days ago, we pulled massive amounts of lemon balm out of the planter. I think I will be pulling that stuff out for years. We uncovered four spindly azaleas, five daylilies (I thought there were only 2 or 3 in there) and some other perennial I don't recognize.

Today after transplanting two of the daylilies, I scattered some fertilizer around some acid loving plants, and also sprinkled some snail bait around some plants.

We've also pruned two trees, which looked awful. I eagerly await their leafing out. One is some sort of dogwood. (Not Cornus florida, but some other.) And I am so impatient to see the blooms of my med sized Camellia tree. I see the buds, but so far no blooms.

If any of you garden in the PNW, I'd love to hear what you are doing. Possibly you will tell me that some of the tasks I did are too early, but I hope not.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:26 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,390,574 times
Silibran, I am not in the PNW, but there's a blogger I read who may be helpful to you:
Scott at Rhone Street Gardens

He has links to blogs by other gardeners in the PNW. Based on what I've been reading, there are a lot of gardeners over there and quite a few lovely gardens. I've only ever been to Seattle but I'd love to visit Oregon one day. I love the moisture and the green-ness.

BTW...I don't think you can really kill daylilies. They're one of the plants with a strong will to live. So whatever you did, I'm sure they'll be A-OK.

I got a bunch of herbs last year and lemon balm/melissa was one of them. It had already expanded several inches in a few months. I know it has a mint-like reputation, but hope I won't regret having planted it.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,513 times
I just moved to 6000 feet in Rifle Colorado, This elevation is new to me, I'm not sure how it will change what I grow and when I grow it. The fun is in learning and experimenting, but I am itching to get started on anything that puts my hands in the dirt!...well as soon as the snow melts,

Old 03-09-2013, 08:00 AM

2,063 posts, read 7,776,427 times
Well the snows from earlier this week melted and it seems "Garden Season" has officially started here. Yesterday I was out pulling winter weeds for 3 hours and barely made a dent, this winter it seemed to have thrived more than anything else. So what am I doing now..... weeding, pruning, weeding, cleaning out leaf litter blown in from the last few storms, weeding and trying to remember to take some pictures as new flowers begin showing up. Of course now I also will be traveling to several events and stuck indoors as the first wave of great gardening weather hits. Add in some stints answering questions on the hotline which has already been busy.... maybe a two word answer to the question in the title would be "too much."

Old 03-09-2013, 11:26 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
mid 60s today, sunny with a few clouds, so I did pull a handful of weeds, but am hoping for rain tonight or tomorrow. Then Mon or Tues I will really be able to do some pulling. Hubby is still busy trying to blow all the leaves from last fall out of the yard. i think he is finally about finished.

Old 03-09-2013, 03:15 PM

1,149 posts, read 4,204,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
mid 60s today, sunny with a few clouds, so I did pull a handful of weeds, but am hoping for rain tonight or tomorrow. Then Mon or Tues I will really be able to do some pulling. Hubby is still busy trying to blow all the leaves from last fall out of the yard. i think he is finally about finished.
This is where we are right now. I actually sent my husband out with the lawn mower (what a nasty look I got when I asked him this, LOL) to mulch up some of the remaining leaves, pinecones, and the mostly decayed leaves and spent camellia blossoms under my camellia monstrosity - put some of it right into the compost tumbler, and the rest into a pile nearby to be used there as needed.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:53 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,390,574 times
Ugh, I have a few leaves I never got, but it is not on my list to suck them up yet. Maybe next weekend. I've transplanted a couple more plants that need to be moved, though. I also transplanted some virginia creeper next to the fence. I LOVE that it is native, and that it is FREE. The colors are so pretty in Fall, too.

I needed a vine that clings instead of twines, and whoa...perfect. I hope. I'm looking forward to seeing it climb up the fence and look lovely.

I pulled up some old veggie and sunflower stalks and threw them in the chicken run. Hopefully there are bugs and/or larvae in them so the chickens can have a treat. It was funny to see a reminder of the basil forest I inadvertently planted last year. Who knew basil was so...robust?

I also got some liatris spicata on a whim from Lowes a couple of days ago. I've been curious about it forever. I got a big pack of 50! Woot. It was like $10 or something. I planted them, and hopefully in a good spot. Of course, now I find out the straight species likes to flop. Hopefully the butterflies won't mind.

Old 03-17-2013, 12:38 AM

11,049 posts, read 24,011,610 times
One of the raised bed gardens was cleared out and replanted last week. New little lettuce, carrots and beet shoots are popping up out of the soil and my DH mentioned to me that he thought the new layer of dirt (compost) I'd added to the raised bed garden had weed seeds in it. Well, he noticed something changed in the garden and at least he didn't "weed" the garden for me. Give him a machine and he can tell one part from another in the dark and upside down, but he's lucky to tell a sunflower from a dandelion.

Old 03-17-2013, 02:46 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,346,115 times
I put in my peas first, the earliest I've done this every year is St. Patrick's Day, but as late as the end of March. Depends on the weather. As of right now, we have 4 inches of snow out there. I bought the pea and lettuce seeds this week. I went to the local dollar store for my favorite wildflower mix seeds, but they don't have their seeds in yet. I haven't seen the boxes of wildflower mix yet in WalMart, either. I plant beds of these next to my vegetable gardens to attract bees. At only $1.00 a box, I've never gone wrong with them. The assorted blooms last from May to September, with a kaleidoscope of changing color.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden