U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2013, 04:34 AM

1,263 posts, read 2,897,102 times

Advertisements

What is involved in changing sprinkler heads? I have a few that do not rotate and one that sticks in the up position?
I live in S. Florida and use them a lot now as we are in a drought.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 10:46 AM

9,198 posts, read 21,151,892 times
Digging them up (4-6" of digging) unscrewing the old head, screwing on a new one (all while not letting any dirt get into the line), reburying it at the right level, and setting the spray pattern.

It's pretty basic stuff.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:53 PM

9,815 posts, read 13,883,984 times
Find a deep metal can, maybe from beans or such. Cut the lid off and use it as a tool to dig the dirt out around sprinkler head.
Twist the head out, twist new one back in. Set pattern. Make sure you know if you have left or right hand threads on the head, they go both ways.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:02 PM

20,998 posts, read 25,737,156 times
The sprinkler head just screws off. That will be at the top of the riser and just below the actual sprinkle head. Put Teflon tape around the threads before screwing the new sprinkler head on.

If it is a pop-up, you will have to dig down to the base of the sprinkler. Again, it just unscrews.

If you are using pop-ups, I suggest a short little rubber hose looking attachment made for pop-ups that goes between your sprinkler and the water pipe.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:26 PM

9,198 posts, read 21,151,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
The sprinkler head just screws off. That will be at the top of the riser and just below the actual sprinkle head. Put Teflon tape around the threads before screwing the new sprinkler head on.
I can't quite tell from your description, but it sounds like you are referencing the nozzle rather than the head.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:26 AM

1,263 posts, read 2,897,102 times
I bought a house with a RainBird system and it is now 9 years old and works on well water in 5 zones. The sprinklers for the most part seem ok but a few have problems. Most are pop ups. One pop up does not rotate and stays up after coming on, while another does not rotate. A neighbor told me the "guts of the pop up screw out and there is no need to detach the main body from the sprinkler line. Also he said the parts are totally rebuildable. A new similar pop up is the 42SA+ at Home Depot But at $12.00 each this project could get expensive. This type of popup has a sunken screw to adjust the sweep and another little screw in the front that goes down in front of the nozzle to adjust the spray pattern/range. The popups are 3/4 inch thread. Also they are deep in the lawn and he said they need to be raised but for now I will leave well enough alone; they appear deep because I am in South Florida and have St. Augustine grass and the previous house owner has the lawn depth at 4-5 inches and it is thick. I am sure the heads were just below the soil level originally but have become sunken as the lawn matured and got thicker.
Anyways, I feel like at least repair/replacing the malfunctioning popups and need guidance and tool recommendations. I don't want to get started and find I have to run somewhere to get a tool or something.

Old 06-26-2016, 11:38 AM

5 posts, read 9,044 times
Default Help Identifying Rainbird sprinkle type

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Find a deep metal can, maybe from beans or such. Cut the lid off and use it as a tool to dig the dirt out around sprinkler head.
Twist the head out, twist new one back in. Set pattern. Make sure you know if you have left or right hand threads on the head, they go both ways.
I have watched utube videos and lots of digging going on. Your way seems simple and efficient.

How do I identify the model/type of Rainbird I have? All I know so far is it pops up and rotates. The nozzle seems not to be working properly.

Thanks

Old 06-26-2016, 02:33 PM

2,189 posts, read 986,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerman92 View Post
I have watched utube videos and lots of digging going on. Your way seems simple and efficient.

How do I identify the model/type of Rainbird I have? All I know so far is it pops up and rotates. The nozzle seems not to be working properly.

Thanks
They are all interchangeable. The only thing that makes a difference is the size of the of the connection between the head and the outlet. If you turn yours counter clockwise to take it out; take it to HD or your local hardware store to match it up.

Old 06-26-2016, 02:50 PM

7,243 posts, read 9,588,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alsidw View Post
I bought a house with a RainBird system and it is now 9 years old and works on well water in 5 zones. The sprinklers for the most part seem ok but a few have problems. Most are pop ups. One pop up does not rotate and stays up after coming on, while another does not rotate. A neighbor told me the "guts of the pop up screw out and there is no need to detach the main body from the sprinkler line. Also he said the parts are totally rebuildable. A new similar pop up is the 42SA+ at Home Depot But at $12.00 each this project could get expensive. This type of popup has a sunken screw to adjust the sweep and another little screw in the front that goes down in front of the nozzle to adjust the spray pattern/range. The popups are 3/4 inch thread. Also they are deep in the lawn and he said they need to be raised but for now I will leave well enough alone; they appear deep because I am in South Florida and have St. Augustine grass and the previous house owner has the lawn depth at 4-5 inches and it is thick. I am sure the heads were just below the soil level originally but have become sunken as the lawn matured and got thicker.
Anyways, I feel like at least repair/replacing the malfunctioning popups and need guidance and tool recommendations. I don't want to get started and find I have to run somewhere to get a tool or something.
If you think $12 is expensive call someone in to do it!!!

Old 06-26-2016, 03:44 PM

5 posts, read 9,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
They are all interchangeable. The only thing that makes a difference is the size of the of the connection between the head and the outlet. If you turn yours counter clockwise to take it out; take it to HD or your local hardware store to match it up.
I will dig it up when the weather is not so blistering hot and humid. Although I could use your can method. Hmm. Guess I gotta eat some bush baked beans...LOL

Thanks,

Bill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or