U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 07:31 AM

1,550 posts, read 2,959,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewrist View Post
Why is the use of urine so unbelevable? Science used horse urine from pregnant mare to make Premarin. Have you all watched the Burzynski Movie? It is really a documentary about a doctor in Houston who has a cure for cancer. He discovered that there were chemical in the urine of healthy people which was not in people who had cancer. He isolated it and began to treat and cure some of the worst cancer. This man was presecuted by the FDA and the medical board on FIVE different occasions at the least. You can watch it on youtube.com or Netflix. The chemical/protein was found in urine
Now I know you all have either googled Premarin or watched the movie by now. Let me ask you a question now. Should I ridicule you all for your ignorance of the use of urine? Should I post how stupid you were or make fun of you prior to the information I gave you to research yourself? NO...but that is what you all have done to the OP and those posting here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 07:47 AM

1,149 posts, read 3,721,702 times
Quote:
Now I know you all have either googled Premarin or watched the movie by now. Let me ask you a question now. Should I ridicule you all for your ignorance of the use of urine? Should I post how stupid you were or make fun of you prior to the information I gave you to research yourself? NO...but that is what you all have done to the OP and those posting here.
Oh, I'm sorry. Here you go.

Survival of enteric bacteria and coliphage ... [J Appl Microbiol. 2009] - PubMed - NCBI

Edit to clarify - this is why I would never use fresh, or diluted, urine anywhere in my garden. Unless my son decides to relieve himself, and if it is in my raised beds, he'd be in fairly big trouble.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryEyedSurprise View Post
Oh, I'm sorry. Here you go.

Survival of enteric bacteria and coliphage ... [J Appl Microbiol. 2009] - PubMed - NCBI

Edit to clarify - this is why I would never use fresh, or diluted, urine anywhere in my garden. Unless my son decides to relieve himself, and if it is in my raised beds, he'd be in fairly big trouble.
Interesting, I wonder (thinking) how all of these plants surivived after all these animal have urinated and defecated on this planet especially after a rain. My dog urinate in my garden often and I am sure rodent, birds and other critters do so, I just WASH them BEFORE I ingest them..I realize many people don't.

Last edited by eyewrist; 03-20-2013 at 08:29 AM..

Old 03-20-2013, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Interesting, I wonder how all of these plants surivived after all these animal have urinated and defecated on this planet especially after a rain. My dog urinate in my garden often and I am sure rodent, birds and other critters do so, I just WASH them BEFORE I ingest them
Not sure. I know when dogs pee on my lawn, it kills the grass.

Also, I am assuming that roots can pick up urine and filter it through the plant. Not much washing can do to help that, when it comes to diseases. I would never, ever eat anything that I know had been urinated on, dog or human.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:12 AM

1,787 posts, read 4,799,030 times
I knew someone that put pee all around the outside of the garden to keep pests out. Her and her husband swore this kept the rabbits out. I've never tried this.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryEyedSurprise View Post
Not sure. I know when dogs pee on my lawn, it kills the grass.

Also, I am assuming that roots can pick up urine and filter it through the plant. Not much washing can do to help that, when it comes to diseases. I would never, ever eat anything that I know had been urinated on, dog or human.
Your dog's urine is high in nitrogen in one small area making it concentrated causing death to your grass. Just dilute it with plenty of water; it will be fine in short time. Don't forget to scratch up the dead grass to allow room for new growth. Chicken poop will do the same and therefore it should be diluted with water ( i prefer rain water because it is distilled) or put in a compost bin so the insect and microbes can do the work but you must wait some time for this to occur. You'll have the best soil in the neighborhood= the best garden

It about a symbiotic relationship between living species. the microbes break down the material so the plant can use it, the plant is also able to filter what it needs and get rid of the rest. The plants we then eat providing nutrients to our bodies and we also get rid of what we don't need through waste which is put back into the soil to be reused. What a great system huh...all recycled!!!

Old 03-20-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Your dog's urine is high in nitrogen in one small area making it concentrated causing death to your grass. Just dilute it with plenty of water; it will be fine in short time. Don't forget to scratch up the dead grass to allow room for new growth. Chicken poop will do the same and therefore it should be diluted with water ( i prefer rain water because it is distilled) or put in a compost bin so the insect and microbes can do the work but you must wait some time for this to occur. You'll have the best soil in the neighborhood= the best garden

It about a symbiotic relationship between living species. the microbes break down the material so the plant can use it, the plant is also able to filter what it needs and get rid of the rest. The plants we then eat providing nutrients to our bodies and we also get rid of what we don't need through waste which is put back into the soil to be reused. What a great system huh...all recycled!!!
Sadly it is other peoples' dogs who pee on my lawn during walks. If only their owners could carry around water and do this themselves, since I don't know where they pee until the grass dies I'm nice, or else I'd start pushing moth balls into the perimeter of my property.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I love all types of old-time tips - gardening, cooking, cleaning, etc. Old folks were much more resourceful and didn't run to the store for the latest chemical to solve their problem. What could have been a really nice thread has been hijacked by a few know-it-alls that must prove their knowledge is superior to those who rely on natural and old-time methods.

For those who want to grow using the scientific method, fine. For those who want to try other methods, go for it. I believe that a true gardener knows that successful gardening is achieved by lots of trial and error and is an ongoing learning process.
Agreed nature was designed to recycle itself without the use of manmade chemical and interference. The old timer knew how to do this and they are dying now. So once they are gone and the chemical companies can't or should I say WON'T provide these chemical anymore, then what will people do?? This new generation knows very little about these old techniques used in the past and this will result in their demise and total control by big chem companies. Label it hijacked

Old 03-20-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
My grandmother put fish in all of her flower beds and she had the best flowers in town. I could never do this where I live; I have too many raccoons!
I discovered fish fertilizer last year and put it on my rose bush...it is the best ever!!! I am thinking about getting the guts from a local fish market and blend it into a soup and use it in my garden this year and freeze the rest until I need it.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:17 AM

167 posts, read 240,256 times
I have a koi pond and use water from there to water houseplants. Free fertilizer. When I clean out the filter I use that in the garden, nice free fertilizer. Also in the spring the bottom of the pond has some mulm on it stinky as anything. Our pond slopes down so it settles in one spot I scoop that out and use it in the garden, diluting it. String algae in the spring I add to compost. I like anything free so I also compost and some years I make a worm bin. I like the worm bin but it works best for me if I keep it in the basement so it goes all year round.

Artemisa, or worm wood soaked in water makes a good pest killer. Biggest problem I have is flea beetles. They destroy eggplant until they are a skeleton. The wormwood juice works to get rid of them. Catmint helps to for pests... and flea beetles They say mint... will work but I don't grow mint. Maybe it is just something smelly. But once I discovered the wormwood and catmint I finally got some eggplant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden