U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-18-2013, 08:44 AM
 
2,788 posts, read 3,367,822 times
Reputation: 1535

Advertisements

---Where to buy the clear plastic sheeting? Wanting to construct a home-made greenhouse...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-18-2013, 09:41 AM
 
166 posts, read 219,121 times
Reputation: 141
I don't know where to buy the clear plastic sorry can't help you. We did make our own greenhouse we used polycarbonate panels. Almost 20 years old and still in great shape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2013, 09:54 AM
 
Location: South Carolina
11,871 posts, read 15,799,343 times
Reputation: 19163
You can buy the sheet plastic in the paint department of your local home depot . when I move I buy it to wrap my mattress and boxspring in it to protect it from the dirty truck . Good luck to you and congrats on building a greenhouse .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2013, 10:24 AM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
10,370 posts, read 8,783,833 times
Reputation: 6792
We made a fairly nice greenhouse with 'free' glass. In my local paper there was a contractor that was giving away commercial windows. Some of them had one broken or cracked pieces of glass – but I made them single pane. We also had new replacement double pane windows installed in our house – so we used the old picture windows on the roof of the greenhouse.

Maybe your free column does not have any glass? But, if you live in or near a city; there is a chance that you have a salvage business in your area. Also check yard sales. We got a split cottage door for our greenhouse for $2 from a yard sale.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2013, 05:47 PM
Status: "Super Junior's 12th Anniversary!" (set 6 days ago)
 
Location: Land of Free Johnson-Weld-2016
6,417 posts, read 12,538,866 times
Reputation: 6279
Default Safety Glass

The one caveat about glass...cuz I'm paranoid...is to use that kind that doesn't break into artery-slashing shards. I think it is called tempered glass. It breaks into little pieces, saving you from any possible nasty cuts. Sorry to be negative. I looove reusing things, but I'd say ix on the old-ae indows-wae.

One of the garden blogs I read is the Idiot Gardener. He recently got his own URL and a fancy website, but his really silly homemade greenhouse project is still on there. I'm not sure how much it will help you, but it is really funny (Warning, there is a little adult language in the posts): How to build your own greenhouse
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2013, 07:04 PM
 
2,063 posts, read 5,816,177 times
Reputation: 2672
Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
---Where to buy the clear plastic sheeting? Wanting to construct a home-made greenhouse...
If you have a sturdy frame made then get clear plastic that is UV resistant. Here's a good start on the "how to" portion: http://www.wvu.edu/~agexten/hortcult...u/grencons.htm

Some places that sell the UV resistant plastic on line:

Clear tarps, clear greenhouse tarps and canopy tarps

Clear Heavy Duty Greenhouse Tarps

Plastic Film, Greenhouse Plastic, Plastic Sheeting | Greenhouse Megastore

You Should Judge a Greenhouse by its Cover; Your Plants Will
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2013, 08:50 PM
 
3,339 posts, read 6,588,233 times
Reputation: 4192
Well, living in Kansas, I'm not even tempted to do a greenhouse, and I think Kansans with skylights are just crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2013, 08:58 PM
 
Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
25,846 posts, read 44,594,065 times
Reputation: 23372
I was going to do that but then I found a great little set for just $99 with free shipping and it's worked out great. Well, except I wore out the door zipper. The UV plastic is not cheap like painter tarps. Like this one but $99 and free shipping. May still be there somewhere if you look
through them but it may have gone up.

Large 15'x7'x7' Walk-in Greenhouse Garden Outdoor Green Flower house 8 Windows on eBay!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2013, 01:19 AM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
10,370 posts, read 8,783,833 times
Reputation: 6792
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
The one caveat about glass...cuz I'm paranoid...is to use that kind that doesn't break into artery-slashing shards. I think it is called tempered glass. It breaks into little pieces, saving you from any possible nasty cuts. Sorry to be negative. I looove reusing things, but I'd say ix on the old-ae indows-wae.

One of the garden blogs I read is the Idiot Gardener. He recently got his own URL and a fancy website, but his really silly homemade greenhouse project is still on there. I'm not sure how much it will help you, but it is really funny (Warning, there is a little adult language in the posts): How to build your own greenhouse
The "free" glass I got out the newspaper "free column" was all tempered Safety glass! I even tested one pane with my lawnmower - fortunately I had one last pane left!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2013, 08:15 AM
 
3,339 posts, read 6,588,233 times
Reputation: 4192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I was going to do that but then I found a great little set for just $99 with free shipping and it's worked out great. Well, except I wore out the door zipper. The UV plastic is not cheap like painter tarps. Like this one but $99 and free shipping. May still be there somewhere if you look
through them but it may have gone up.

Large 15'x7'x7' Walk-in Greenhouse Garden Outdoor Green Flower house 8 Windows on eBay!

I have had the 5-shelf ones over the years and I loved them. We have too much wind at this house, though, and like you, I trashed the zippers on mine. I needed to keep them in a protected area at our last place because the wind took them down once. Talk about a mess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top