Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 09:07 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,351,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I like Jacob's ladder, too. And may go with that if it's not as "prolific?" as balloon flower?
What about Jacob's ladder, oh, and bee balm, too?
Blecch! Bee Balm -- horridly invasive, powdery mildew magnet, ugly after blooming. Still, they're pretty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 11:29 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,398,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
Blecch! Bee Balm -- horridly invasive, powdery mildew magnet, ugly after blooming. Still, they're pretty
I think it depends on which beebalm you get. I have the straight monarda fistulosa, and it is always covered in powdery mildew...and as much as I hate to say this about a medicinal native plant, it is ugly. It also flops. But I have a stand of monarda didyma which is awesome. It is very upright and grows to about 4 feet tall and has dark-green mildew-resistant leaves. Butterflies and hummingbirds go crazy for it.

I got it on sale from Bluestone perennials, and I think the one I have is Colrain red. It does spread, but I have a lot of space to cover. I was actually happy to have parts of it to move to other areas of my garden. I think the stalks look great in winter, and it makes awesome tea.

Old 03-23-2013, 04:51 PM

2,794 posts, read 4,155,308 times
Quote:
I like Jacob's ladder, too. And may go with that if it's not as "prolific?" as balloon flower?
What about Jacob's ladder, oh, and bee balm, too?
I have grown Balloon flowers for years, and have NEVER had any problems with it being invasive, not in the least! My mom still has a plant I startedfor her years ago, from my own plant's seeds, and she is NOT a gardener,to put it mildly. Mine come back every year, and are some of my favorites! However I am worried that last summer's horrid drought may have done them in.

Bee balm is excellent for honeybees, which are in such horrible shape these days from all the pesticides. Just some random Googling & I ran across this article of how bee balm was historically by Native Americans..

Use Native American favorite bee balm plants for healing and cooking

Old 03-26-2013, 08:33 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
i love balloon flower and they are so pretty also fuzzy bean vine is gorgeous too and it is easy to grow almost remind me of the balloon flower .

Old 03-26-2013, 07:52 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Quote:
in_newengland from what you recall, did your balloon flower spread, pop up all over. Would you call it invasive?
No, it was definitely not an invasive plant. The blossoms were big an roundish and they would open up and be pretty. I would have to cut the stems back when they stopped blooming and then more stems would shoot up. In the fall they would go to sleep like the rest of the garden and the same plants would be back in spring.

Old 03-31-2013, 11:43 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,123,920 times
Anyone have experience with 'avens' also known as 'guem?'

I've read they grow fast, and bloom long. But one site said 'divide frequently' (every couple if years I guess, which is not really my thing).

Also one site said zone 5-7. I fear planting them in Phila. would be too close to their hardiness tolerance. Some people suggest not planting just to your zone, but prefer plants hardy to one zone WITHIN what's recommended.

I'm willing to give these a chance, but would like to hear any experiences you have with them.

Old 04-01-2013, 06:31 AM

2,063 posts, read 7,782,021 times
Quote:
Anyone have experience with 'avens' also known as 'guem?'

I've read they grow fast, and bloom long. But one site said 'divide frequently' (every couple if years I guess, which is not really my thing).

Also one site said zone 5-7. I fear planting them in Phila. would be too close to their hardiness tolerance. Some people suggest not planting just to your zone, but prefer plants hardy to one zone WITHIN what's recommended.

I'm willing to give these a chance, but would like to hear any experiences you have with them.

Yes. They are fairly easy to grow, dividing does need to be done every 3 or 4 years. They are also prone to mildews and don't like too much winter moisture. They also need to be pruned back after blooming to get them to grow more flowers again. My current garden is not as suitable to them as my old one was, which was north of where you are. Philadelphia is well within the zone 5 tolerances, being mostly 6b and even some 7a depending on where you live. The only parts of PA that are even close to being cold issue trouble are up near Altoona and points northwest. Here's a map of the zones in your state: Pennsylvania Interactive USDA Plant Hardiness Zone Map

Old 04-01-2013, 07:13 AM

Thanks. Not sure yet if I like them enough for the 'work' or 'attention' they'd need, or that seems to be recommended.
I'm strictly a plant it, irregular water, and maybe fertilize kind of person.

No dead-heading unless I happen to on a lark think "Uh, it's a nice day. Why don't I dead head? But regular deadheading -- uh, no. And certainly no dividing. I haven't divided my astilbe, lenten rose, sedum and dayliiies -- or anything I have -- in the 10 years since having my landscaping done.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:26 AM

I'm being tempted to try Calla Lilies and Kaffir lilies as flowering house plants.

Do lilies really work as long term indoor house plants? (without much care).

So far I've only been a philodendron, pothos, sanseveria, dracaena person -- because I know they can take a little negligence.

But the calla and kaffir look so good.

Old 04-01-2013, 05:57 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,782,021 times
Selhars, given your gardening style (by your description) I'd say the Calla Lilies are a bad idea. Their native habitat is wetlands/swamps and other perpetually damp areas. As a house plant they need to be kept constantly and consistently watered. They prefer a narrow temperature range in order to bloom but will survive a broader range if you want just the leaves. In other words they might be too fussy for you. I love their look and grow about 3 different ones outdoors.

The Kaffir Lily is, by comparison, a much easier plant to keep indoors and should survive your preferred garden care. If you have cats it is poisonous to them and, like many plants with milky sap, the leaves and sap can be irritating and cause allergic reactions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden