Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2013, 04:31 PM

584 posts, read 2,149,316 times

Advertisements

So I have two things. One, it rains here so much during summer that my flowering perennials completely die from all the water. So, are there any perennials or flowers that love water, humidity? I would love something that flowers constantly if I can. And it would be fine for growing in containers for my porch. Two, my yard just seems out of control with the growth of trees and shrubs and weeds, so I'm thinking about letting my backyard just be natural woods and do their own thing, and then keep a perimeter cut around my porch. Would it be better to have a lattice fence type surrounding my porch? Or just grass? I'm wanting to mainly focus my time and energy on the back porch area. So, it is a concrete slab which I'm thinking about putting a table or chairs in the middle, some potted plants around the edges and then either a lattice fence to put vines on or nothing. The rest I'm just going to let grow and do its own thing. Sick of trying to keep it all nice with paths. Things like trees, shrubs, weeds grow way too fast here and then it looks like an out of control jungle with spider webs between trees, sick. Also it rains constantly here during summer so I would like at least some flowers to look at on my porch in pots, but don't know what can handle the downpour without the whole plant dying. Thanks for the tips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 07:37 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,725,619 times
Could you share with us your approximate location on the planet? That would help a lot.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:11 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Japanese Iris does well in moist areas and they form big clumps. I have planted some in areas of my yard that tend to collect water.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:06 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,352,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Japanese Iris does well in moist areas and they form big clumps. I have planted some in areas of my yard that tend to collect water.
Hahaha! Your "location" is hilarious!!

Old 08-11-2013, 08:15 AM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Fuchsia? They like shade and maybe dampness.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:45 PM

I don't care if they are annuals. Just something that flowers a lot during the summer and can stand lots of rain.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:01 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Tropicals, if you are also warm there. Hibiscus, Bougainvillea, Flowering Maple
(Abutilon), Begonia, Canna.

If you stay above the 40s in winter they will survive, otherwise grow them as annuals.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:52 PM

Are cannas for water gardens or dirt containers?

Old 08-12-2013, 01:26 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgmv90 View Post
Are cannas for water gardens or dirt containers?
Dirt, but they like it moist and can survive in a pot that has the bottom submerged in a pond.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:56 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,783,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Could you share with us your approximate location on the planet? That would help a lot.
Azoria lives in a rainy area and has lots of experience but she can't make any real recommendations if you don't want to respond to her question. I can't make one either, at least not if I want to make one that won't be costly because I don't know what the actual growing conditions are. Rain can be highly variable from year to year, and soil condition can make a big difference in what will grow in heavy rainfall areas.

Without at least a USDA zone or general region any "tips" you get will be guesses or ill founded recommendations that will cost you money (dead plants) if they are not suited for where you live. Different plants will thrive in the southeast USA than might in the northwest USA and be different again for Hawaii. Some plants will become bug infested in one place and have no problems in another.

If you are hung up about your anonymity then go ask your local Master Gardeners or check in with your county Cooperative Extension for recommendations for plants that can survive and thrive locally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden