U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 06:37 AM

64,994 posts, read 47,321,826 times

Advertisements

Well... it's that time of year around here when we start to think about pulling stuff up and getting ready for fall. BUT string beans, eggplants, peppers, zucchinni's, kale, beets all doing great. Few tomato plants have been pulled out, the rest don't look promising. Late start and it looks like its going to be an average finish.

2012 everything was pulled up by now thanks to the Hurricane and VERY HOT summer. This year I'm thinking Beginning of October maybe even mid October if it can stay seasonable

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 02:28 PM

Harvest for today October 2, 2013.

Peppers, Eggplants, Tomatoes, Beets, Zucchini's and a 17 pound Hubbard Squash. (no idea what to do with it)

Warm temps past few days extending the growing season a bit. Nighttime does cool off big time into the 40s/50s. We had a 20-30 degree temp range past 3 days.

Old 10-02-2013, 03:11 PM

May 2013 Weather Summary
June 2013 Weather Summary
July 2013 Weather Summary
August 2013 Weather Summary

September 2013 Weather Update:

Rain Total: 2.94" (Below Normal)
Highest Temp: 91.3F (9/11)
Lowest Temp: 40.4F (9/24)
Mean Temp: 63.7(Below Normal)

Max Temps:
6 Days in the 60s
18 days in the 70s
5 days in the 80s
1 day in the 90s

Lows:
15 nights in the 40s
10 nights in the 50s
4 night in the 60s
1 night in the 70s

Had some cold nights in September. Brought in the tropical plants to protect them. Meanwhile we hit 90 which we didn't even hit in August! Cool month overall and long stretches of no rain. Leaves started changing colors 2 weeks early but Garden continues to stay green through end of month.

Tomato plants: Diseased and only few left on plant. Pulled some out. End of season for them.
Cucumbers: were done mid August.
String Beans: yielding plenty and healthy still through September.
Eggplants: healthy with good yields all of Sept.
Bell Peppers: healthy with ok yields.
Kale: continues to grow and be healthy since beginning of season
Hot Peppers in pots: had best season yet and still going despite the cool nights.
Zuchinni & Squash: taking over entire yard and Huge yields as seen in pic above.

Old 10-04-2013, 01:17 PM

669 posts, read 714,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Thanks. Funny, I was already thinking about how in 2 months or so I'll be pulling things up preparing for fall. LOL! Season is past half way done here and if you're closing at the end of August thats waaaay too late. Think Fall crops... Lettuce, beans, Broccoli, ect.
Fall and Winter Vegetable Gardens

But if you're moving in and they didnt have a veggie garden, I would forget planting things this year and instead spend time this fall preparing the area you want so its ready for Spring planting. :-)
Great thread Cambium. I've only looked through the last few pages but I love the pictures and your garden. I closed on my home in August also and didn't want to rush into planting a garden without getting a feel for my HUGE back yard yet. I have however, started a compost pile. I see in your compost pile pics, you have what looks like a net around it. What is the purpose of that? I have my pile out in the open and have not seen any predators messing with it yet.

How long did it take for you to prepare the area for you garden? From the pics, it looks like you have two rectangular areas, each surrounded by potted plants. Did you prepare both areas at the same time or do one one year and the other at a later time/year? I think I'll start small, maybe one area and then add on to it as I see fit. Did you do anything special to the ground other than clear the grass?

What would you recommend be planted in ground vs planted in containers?

Sorry, a lot of questions but your garden looks very well thought out and organized. Again, great thread! thanks

Old 10-05-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDatInMD View Post
I see in your compost pile pics, you have what looks like a net around it. What is the purpose of that? Big animals but I caught a few chipmonks sneaking in. Best advice is, any kitchen scraps just dig them down and underneath the dirt. Seems like the smell isn't there for them and they don't want to dig for it. Also ad horse manure, that seems to keep them away too.

How long did it take for you to prepare the area for you garden? Every Spring I till, add organic matter and till again. Then setup the fencing. I would say maybe 6-8hrs? I take my time, spend an hour each day.

Did you prepare both areas at the same time or do one one year and the other at a later time/year? I extended both beds a little each year.

Did you do anything special to the ground other than clear the grass? Rocks, rocks, rocks. I still have rocks! I used a machine the 1st year to get one of the beds because I knew there would be roots and rocks. I pulled boulders out! I'm still finding little rocks when I till. A bit frustrating but I built it up enough and have enough nutrients that it doesn't affect the soil now. Tons of peat moss, Compost, Topsoil, and leaves.

What would you recommend be planted in ground vs planted in containers? If you like HOT peppers, put them in the pots. Bell peppers in the ground. I don't like pots for any veggies other than Hot peppers, herbs, lettuces, and compact stuff.. They need room to grow. Roots like to go vertical, not horizontal.
Cucumers, String beans, Tomatoes, Bell Peppers, Eggplant, Squashes, corn, all in ground. Even Beets like the ground better.
Thanks for the nice words! See bold for my answers.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:26 AM

This will probably be the last post for this long growing season year. It's been a great year. one of the best.

Having the warmest October on record so far has extended some stuff. Even the peppers are blooming new flowers! That's rare for October.

I cleaned up one bed but left some stuff in the other. Eggplants, Bell Peppers and the hot peppers in the pots.

Even the tropical plants are doing excellent! Banana, Lemon, Grapefruit.

1st pic is from October 2nd, the rest from recent which are labeled.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:30 AM

Here's the new pepper & Eggplant blooms. Crazy. We've had colder nights in September than October!

Old 10-19-2013, 09:20 AM

Wow! Check out the pepper root system from my pots. No wonder why they lasted into October. Organic Compost and dose of nitrogen early in the season. The stem and roots are thick and full.

Old 10-19-2013, 09:26 AM

Final week of crops. Warmest and driest October on record so far but expecting a cold snap in a few days. Everything is picked and done.

Tropical plants will get their final dose of the outdoors another 48hrs until Spring.

Thanks for reading everyone and thanks for the comments. See you in 5 months.
Attached Thumbnails
My Veggie Garden 2013 (Pics)-imag2616.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden