U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 05:16 AM

8,004 posts, read 9,653,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Update:

Night temps into the 30s well below normal. Plants brought inside and everything is still waiting to go outside. Amazing season here with the inibility to sustain even 70s.

So here they are.. desperately wanting the ground but waiting patiently. Still pissed seed germination is at an all time low. Seeds are just not emerging this year so this is my lucky group.

Thanks for the pics! Love the spring photos from last year! Your seedlings are looking lovely, Cam!! I hope you're able to get them out soon! We got lucky and it appears we're not going to have another freeze. I lost 1 zuchini to one of the last ones. Fortuately, as well....I "sprouted" the green beans in soil, then planted them in their bed when they were just poking out of the soil....so no hardening off necessary. They all made it beautifully and are growing like mad.

We've had such cool nights and cloudy days, that the stuff in the garden is just sitting there...hasn't moved in a few days. I hit them all with some fish fertilizer. Let's see what happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 06:10 AM

64,991 posts, read 47,303,288 times
Thanks everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
Your plants are gorgeous! Now let's hope it doesn't turn blazing hot as soon as you get them in the ground.
Actually the opposite this year. Im worried it will continue to stay cool and too cold. Again yesterday only in the 60s during the day and with clouds and rain today and the rest of the week 60s are likely again. What a challenge this Spring!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
Cambium what are you putting in those Solo cups? That's amazing growth for seedlings, if you can even call them that anymore.
I never used to put anything in there and had similar results. I think the Miracle grow potting soil has enough fertilizer to give them a boost. Granted they arent on steroids like the ones we see in Stores but they do wel enough I guess.

This year I tried adding 10-15-10 liquid fertilizer. I used it twice mixing it in the spray bottle and watering the cups. Im not sure if it did anything. Maybe kept the leaves darker greener this year.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:32 AM

3,339 posts, read 7,177,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Thanks everyone.

Actually the opposite this year. Im worried it will continue to stay cool and too cold. Again yesterday only in the 60s during the day and with clouds and rain today and the rest of the week 60s are likely again. What a challenge this Spring!

I never used to put anything in there and had similar results. I think the Miracle grow potting soil has enough fertilizer to give them a boost. Granted they arent on steroids like the ones we see in Stores but they do wel enough I guess.

This year I tried adding 10-15-10 liquid fertilizer. I used it twice mixing it in the spray bottle and watering the cups. Im not sure if it did anything. Maybe kept the leaves darker greener this year.

We may get baseball sized hail tonight. My tomato plants are staying indoors until further notice. Good for you for not being in a rush to set your plants out.

Old 05-19-2013, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
Good for you for not being in a rush to set your plants out.
See pics and posts above. I set all my plants are out. But yeah, I knew to start the seeds later than usual this year.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:44 AM

I'll have an update later. Pretty slow year this year. In fact we dropped into the 30s late in the month. Had to bring all my potted pepper plants inside. Rare snowfall north of me. Strawberries are 2 weeks late and small. Day temps havent been consistantly above 70 still.

Expecting a heat wave this weekend but back down we go afterwards. It's going to be one of those "slow growth" years I guess.

Couple of pics for now.

Mid Maylast year I was picking strawberries. Looks like I wont be this year till June

Old 05-30-2013, 04:40 PM

May 30, 2012. First 90 degree hot muggy day.

I've been Noticing bottom Tomato leaves getting light green and spots on them. Here we go.

So I had to treat them with disease control before it got worse (and it does get worse like a domino effect)

Old 05-30-2013, 05:29 PM

4,896 posts, read 5,864,783 times
Great pictures and commentary from all. Thx.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:07 AM

Strange strange year. Only 20% of seeds germinated. Some Seedings emerged after 4 weeks. And now in this particular spot I planted string beans 3 times. Finally had 3 emerge, but now look..... Cucumbers?? LMAO!!
I did have cucumbers in this spot last year.

KALE

SPINACH

Old 06-02-2013, 07:35 AM

6,191 posts, read 14,720,407 times
Kale and spinach are looking especially good for so early in your northern season!

Old 06-02-2013, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Kale and spinach are looking especially good for so early in your northern season!
Thanks. They grew pretty fast. I believe they like the cool weather and that helped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden