Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 07:01 PM

83,274 posts, read 74,477,134 times

Advertisements

Well, its that time of year again. Had a bit of a late start due to Cold and Snow days in March.
Blizzard in February and 4 feet of snow I was srtill able to till the soil at the end of February. Go figure. Soft soil in a winter with 4 feet of snow.

Anyway- Here's the link to last years Pics and Progress. Thanks to all who replied and enteracted with me. Lets hope its another good year without the squirrels this time.

My Garden Pics 2012

Strawberries are moved to new location

Seeds are Nice and warm inside. Started 3 and 2 weeks ago.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 08:09 AM

675 posts, read 1,809,688 times
After seeding, when will you plant it outside?

Nice yard & well organized preparation

Old 03-29-2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBy View Post
After seeding, when will you plant it outside?

Nice yard & well organized preparation
Thanks. Usual rule of thumb for plant out date here is Mothers Day(mid May). Last year I knew it was ok to do it sooner because of the torch pattern we had.

This year I'm leary of possible late frosts so I'll be patient.

Old 03-29-2013, 04:52 PM

167 posts, read 309,030 times
Looks like you have some nice dark rich dirt there. My house was built where there use to be a farm. I lucked out where my garden is must have been where they kept the cows, the dirt is black fluffy and rich. You can dig down and not hit a rock. That is on one side of my house. Oddly the backyard you dig 10 inches and you hit fingerling shale. It's horrible water doesn't drain. Hard to break it up. Other side and front have nice rich top soil as well. So everything looks nice except my backyard, trees die to wet, grass turns brown and dries up in the summer. People laugh I have this lush green front lawn and the sides and the backyard ugly brown. Just glad there was a nice spot for a veg. garden, it would have been terrible if it was all like the backyard.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla151 View Post
Looks like you have some nice dark rich dirt there. .
Ha. The decieving pics of the internet. That darkness was freshly laid top soil that was semi wet.
I have Sandy soil here. Its disgusting and miserable to see. Litteraly turns to cement when dry. I've been ammending it for years and just doesnt seem to help. I cant imagine how the garden would be with loamy soil instead. They already do great in Sandy soil.

Another thing to note which is a real frustration here... I can't put a shovel in the ground more than 3 inches without hitting rocks. Luckily with hard work every year and tilling I've removed 80% of them in the garden area so I can dig down and not hit a big one.

Blame the Ice Age for the rocks.

The other property I had near the ocean had pure gold for soil.

Old 03-30-2013, 05:01 AM

167 posts, read 309,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Ha. The decieving pics of the internet. That darkness was freshly laid top soil that was semi wet.
I have Sandy soil here. Its disgusting and miserable to see. Litteraly turns to cement when dry. I've been ammending it for years and just doesnt seem to help. I cant imagine how the garden would be with loamy soil instead. They already do great in Sandy soil.

Another thing to note which is a real frustration here... I can't put a shovel in the ground more than 3 inches without hitting rocks. Luckily with hard work every year and tilling I've removed 80% of them in the garden area so I can dig down and not hit a big one.

Blame the Ice Age for the rocks.

The other property I had near the ocean had pure gold for soil.

It sure looks pretty in pictures. My last house had boulders for rocks in clay which were next to impossible to dig out, had to garden around them.
I hope all that hard work pays off with some tasty veggies this summer. I am so looking forward to some tasty tomatoes tired of the cardboard tasting juiceless tomatoes I'm buying at the store.
Oh and some fresh snap peas and cantaloupe, peaches and beans oh and a bunch of lettuce you can just go out and pick at any time.

See you got me started.

Hard work but worth the effort. Happy gardening.

Old 03-30-2013, 05:15 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,681,185 times
I'm so jealous!!! The weather here has been so cold and wet......AND I've been working so much, that I haven't had any time to do a thing with the gardens yet!! Okay.....and I'm getting older and just don't have the energy to get those seeds started. LOL The closest I've gotten to gardening this year is working up a section of ground and transplanting my boysenberry plants....oh, and mowing a couple of times, when we actually had a couple of days when it was DRY enough to do so!

Old 03-30-2013, 07:05 AM

This is what I took out just this year alone. Seems like every year I'm doing this in the same garden bed. Do rocks procreate? LOL

(not the large boulders)

Bananna, Lemon and Grapefruit plants itching to get outside.

Old 03-30-2013, 07:13 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,359,620 times
Excellent!!!!

I'm a giant tomato grower growing for competition exclusively and have mine sprouted and on a heat pad under light ballasts.

This coming Tuesday I am roto tilling aged manure and more compost into my inground beds.
Like you I have to remove seemingly a never ending supply of small rocks.

I can't wait, the season quickly approaches!!!

Old 04-01-2013, 05:31 PM

Default Potato Planting

Since Potatoes like acidic soil I might actually use the bed near the Spruce trees instead of the one I just tilled on the right. Just have to add and amend the soil a bit more near the Spruces.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden