U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2013, 10:33 AM

2 posts, read 6,309 times

Advertisements

I was looking at my houseplants (havent been home a while I've been at college) and noticed that my blue elf aloe plant, and my other plant (cant think of the specific name) have these brown like specks all over them. Well to be specific mostly around the base even under the leaves, they havent gotten to the top of my blue elf. They look like shells a bit. There also seems to be shiny hardened liquid on the leaves. I think whatever was on my blue elf transfered to my other plant because they are touching, its not affecting my other plants(or my aloe vera) since they are not touching the afflicted Idk what to do.
Attached Thumbnails
Disease on aloe plant? Please help :(-image-2-.jpeg   Disease on aloe plant? Please help :(-image-3-.jpeg   Disease on aloe plant? Please help :(-image-4-.jpeg   Disease on aloe plant? Please help :(-image.jpeg   Disease on aloe plant? Please help :(-image-1-.jpeg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 03:12 PM

2,063 posts, read 6,145,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelangey View Post
I was looking at my houseplants (havent been home a while I've been at college) and noticed that my blue elf aloe plant, and my other plant (cant think of the specific name) have these brown like specks all over them. Well to be specific mostly around the base even under the leaves, they havent gotten to the top of my blue elf. They look like shells a bit. There also seems to be shiny hardened liquid on the leaves. I think whatever was on my blue elf transfered to my other plant because they are touching, its not affecting my other plants(or my aloe vera) since they are not touching the afflicted Idk what to do.

That is an insect with hard shell and it is called "scale." The liquid is a sticky substance, sometimes called honeydew, that they secrete. Fill a small bowl with rubbing alcohol and dip a cotton swab in the rubbing alcohol and wipe down each leaf to remove the older and hard scale. Repeat for each leaf top and bottom. Follow up with an insecticidal soap (sold in garden stores) like the one from Safer or a homemade version (a teaspoon of ivory snow liquid dish-washing soap mixed in a quart of water and sprayed from a clean mister) and this will get less visible ones and ones far down where you cannot wipe. Re spray in another few weeks to catch thise you may have missed and keep checking for infestations.

Old 04-13-2013, 07:42 PM

2 posts, read 6,309 times
Oh wow okay, I will definitely take your advice thanks so much
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden