U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2013, 11:59 AM

3 posts, read 3,834 times

Advertisements

I need some advice... last summer hubby got me a beautiful mini rosebush that was in a pot. I put in in a larger pot and have kept in inside all winter. It has done so well. We started getting some warmer days so I set it out in the sun. It got forgotten the other night and it got below freezing. Poor thing. the stems seem to be okay but the leaves are all falling off. Will it be okay? The feeze seems to have taken care of the little knat like bugs that I found in the soil. It has such pretty little flowers I would hate to loose it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 12:20 PM

26,347 posts, read 77,356,400 times
I had rose bushes in Colorado at 7300 feet, buried in snow for months, in sub zero temperatures.

No problem.

Roses have one of the strongest wills to live of any plant.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:59 PM

3,339 posts, read 6,609,126 times
Charles is right. Your rose will be fine.

Old 04-13-2013, 02:03 PM

Default thanks

that makes me feel better. i got to looking at it and found a few new tiny leaves.
any idea about the knat like bugs in the soil though? found them in my spider plant too. have not looked at my other plant but maybe i should.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:48 AM

5,120 posts, read 3,989,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedfrog View Post
that makes me feel better. i got to looking at it and found a few new tiny leaves.
any idea about the knat like bugs in the soil though? found them in my spider plant too. have not looked at my other plant but maybe i should.
Maybe whitefly?

Old 04-14-2013, 10:39 AM

2,063 posts, read 5,830,165 times
The rose should survive although sometimes the greenhouse versions that are sold in wintertime for gift giving can be a bit less well adapted to sudden temperature changes. Most minaiture roses can spend winter outdorrs like their full sized relatives. They loose leaves the same way and become dormant. A one tiome temp drop should not hurt it in the long run.

If it is in the original pot and has been watered fairly heavily I would suspect the gnats are just that fungus gnats. It can also be white flies, the giveaway is usually some form of sticky substance (honeydew) or some black mold like appearance on leaves.

Fungus Gnats, Shore Flies, Moth Flies, and March Flies Management Guidelines--UC IPM

For how to care for the rose here is an in depth article from the American Rose Society: Growing Miniature Roses Indoors American Rose Society

Old 04-14-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&Em View Post
If it is in the original pot and has been watered fairly heavily I would suspect the gnats are just that fungus gnats. It can also be white flies, the giveaway is usually some form of sticky substance (honeydew) or some black mold like appearance on leaves.
nope nothing on the leaves they are very healthy. or rather were unitl they started falling off after the frost.
i had the same little knat things in my spider plant. it died but not because of them. a friend sugested i repot it with new soil. its not in the same pot. hubby got it for me last summer. i put it in something bigger and it really took off.

Old 04-15-2013, 04:53 PM

5,120 posts, read 3,989,260 times
I had never heard of these until I googled your problem. Could this be what you are encountering in your plants?

How to Remove Gnats From Potting Soil | eHow.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden