Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 02:49 PM

1,285 posts, read 3,589,636 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to warn anyone from buying this. I bought it around Christmas and now the 90 return period is passed so Home Depot will not take it back. Why: glad you asked. The main problem is the string (.065) brakes in less than 3 minutes and the ' automatic line feature' only advances 1/4 inch of line at a time. I called Ryobi customer service and they verified the line feed feature function does not work when the trimmer is used as an edger and as an edger the string breaks very quickly, the guy on the phone said just use the tip of the string- Right, apparently this guy has never used a string trimmer and has to defend the product. As a weed whacker it works better but still the line breaks quickly and the way to get 1/4 inch of line out is to start and stop the unit. Well, lets see. The line is 13 inches and if you have to start and stop the unit for each 1/4 inch that means 52 start/stops. Ever try that in the sun when it is 90F, no fun. As a unit this is terrible and I just wish I could return it. I may experiment with light and heavier string to see if that increase the time before it breaks. I hate this thing!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 08:54 AM

2 posts, read 58,451 times
I am experimenting with a heavier string as well. So far I have not succeeded. Took the head apart and noticed the advance mechanism is based on a part moved by centrifugal force. A spring and weights are determining the speed at which the advance takes place. I am adjusting the weights by taking one out at the time.
You might want to try that.
If you want fast advance you simply have to hold the tap down and pull the string.
It looks like with a heavier string the advance is too fast. I need to do more experiments to get better understanding.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:03 AM

That is good news, I am ready to throw the thing away, almost.
Sid

Old 05-16-2013, 09:32 AM

34,091 posts, read 82,438,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alsidw View Post
I just wanted to warn anyone from buying this. I bought it around Christmas and now the 90 return period is passed so Home Depot will not take it back. Why: glad you asked.

The main problem is the string... and the ' automatic line feature' only advances 1/4 inch of line at a time.
I've had a similar problem with the Worx GT 18V.
It was given to me so I felt obliged to put up with it for two years. Enough!

I needed a blower and was tired of the old corded hedge trimmer I've had, so...
last week I bought a set of yard tools that can share their 20V Lithium Batteries. B&D
Ask me at the end of the season if I still feel this way... but so far so good. LINK

Old 05-16-2013, 09:36 AM

34,091 posts, read 82,438,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alsidw View Post
The main problem is the string...
and the ' automatic line feature' only advances 1/4 inch of line at a time.
I've had a similar problem with the Worx GT 18V.

The helix shaped string binds up on itself inside the spool.
It was given to me so I felt obliged to put up with it for two years. Enough!

I needed a blower and was tired of the corded hedge trimmer I have so...
last week I bought a set of yard tools that can share their 20V Lithium Batteries. B&D
Ask me at the end of the season if I still feel this way... but so far so good. LINK

Old 05-19-2013, 09:25 AM

1,413 posts, read 4,467,695 times
I do not use mine as a trimmer, it is pretty obvious it is not intended for this use. However, as a weed trimmer it has worked well. I have owned mine for almost 2 years, and still on the string that it came with.

Hopefully you have better luck with it.

Edit: Nevermind, I have the 18v batter version. Did not realize there was a 40v.

Last edited by Momotaro; 05-19-2013 at 09:28 AM.. Reason: misconception/read wrong

Old 05-31-2013, 07:51 AM

2 posts, read 58,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parker15 View Post
I am experimenting with a heavier string as well. So far I have not succeeded. Took the head apart and noticed the advance mechanism is based on a part moved by centrifugal force. A spring and weights are determining the speed at which the advance takes place. I am adjusting the weights by taking one out at the time.
You might want to try that.
If you want fast advance you simply have to hold the tap down and pull the string.
It looks like with a heavier string the advance is too fast. I need to do more experiments to get better understanding.
I did some more experimenting. No matter what I tried the mechanism is poorly designed. It needs a redesign. I did try to change a bunch of stuff no success. The only way I can make it work is by blocking the advance mechanically and run it until the string is used up, unblock advance the string manually, block it again and so on.
In order to block it I drilled a small hole in the outside end of the tab and put a piece of wire in it.
It works, not very good.
On the positive side the battery has enough charge to be useful.
I wonder who is doing field testing at Ryobi, he should be send back to school.

Old 06-04-2013, 06:41 PM

1 posts, read 28,656 times
I just purchased one of these. I read the reviews and saw some notes about edging and doing fence lines at 1/4 to 1/2 power. I started out doing this and have had excellent results. I actually try to keep it running while edging along my chain-link fence so it won't advance out when I stop because I'm not losing enough line to keep up with the advance. I did use up a bit more string edging the driveway (again, not at full power), but no more than my normal stopping and starting would keep up with. I reserve full power for doing the larger swaths of trimming where the mower doesn't fit. Mine has been an absolute pleasure to use so far, I hated messing with mixing gas and listening to that loud 2-stroke motor. I actually look forward to trimming now!

Old 06-21-2013, 01:58 PM

1 posts, read 27,932 times
Don't buy one until they fix the problems with the advance. After all that money spent, you'd think they would offer a decent product. The lithium battery pack, however, is more than ample for what I'm trying to do.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:15 PM

Since I have one I find the need to buy another one but Gasoline type. Can someone recommend a brand under $150, I hear Toro is good? do I get the spool/string type or the replaceable heavy twine model? I have about 250 feet of ditch/swale around my house( two sides or 500 feet) and the normal edging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden