U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 07:06 AM

36,434 posts, read 41,620,437 times

Advertisements

Find a diabetic friend who uses testing strips. the containers they come in are perfect for seed storage and are designed to keep contents dry. simply slap on a label and you can save lots together and they take little room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 11:35 PM

2,063 posts, read 6,241,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Find a diabetic friend who uses testing strips. the containers they come in are perfect for seed storage and are designed to keep contents dry. simply slap on a label and you can save lots together and they take little room.
Now that's an interesting way to recycle! Ages ago when we still used film I saved film canisters for the same purpose, but the important thing was to make sure they truly were dry before putting them in there. I've often used seeds from both perennials and some annuals several years after harvesting and found if they were kept dry and out of all light and big temperature swings they usually had pretty high germination rates. Obviously holding on to them for many years will eventually cause some to lose that spark of life.

Old 10-27-2013, 07:22 AM

36,434 posts, read 41,620,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J&Em View Post
Now that's an interesting way to recycle! Ages ago when we still used film I saved film canisters for the same purpose, but the important thing was to make sure they truly were dry before putting them in there. I've often used seeds from both perennials and some annuals several years after harvesting and found if they were kept dry and out of all light and big temperature swings they usually had pretty high germination rates. Obviously holding on to them for many years will eventually cause some to lose that spark of life.
Waste Not Want Not!!!!!

Old 10-27-2013, 07:55 AM

1,985 posts, read 5,862,848 times
I make sure they are dry, I never use a dehydrator in doing this. I then put in small Mylar ziplock bags, lable them and date, I then put in a Styrofoam ice chest in a cool dry spot. I have seeds that are over 40 years old still viable, yes the germination percentage does go down. I plant more seeds than I think I will need and pick out the non vital sprouts or replant them in another space.
I have everything from flowers,garden,tree,bush etc. I also use old prescription pill bottles as storage containers. I also trade seeds with other gardeners and plant persons to acquire seeds I don't have.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:16 AM

7,017 posts, read 10,321,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgmv90 View Post
How long do various flower seeds last once you harvest and store them from your plants? I've collected seeds from various flowering perennials and such, for instance black eyed susan, so how long do they stay good if I keep them stored nice?
I've used the same method since 1960 - baby food jars. I dry the seeds, fill the small jars, and label the date/kind. I never keep them over a couple of years, because I keep planting and planting.
Not my photo below, an Internet one. Tack with a small nail, the jar lid to the underside of a board/shelf and screw jar in lid. My seeds are in the dry basement away from the furnace.

Old 10-27-2013, 10:06 AM

2,967 posts, read 3,953,632 times
Baby food jars are a great idea.

Have also seen people use Tic Tac containers.

Old 10-27-2013, 05:56 PM

205 posts, read 222,948 times
Over the years, we've accumulated various medicine bottles that we never finished the medicine. Cleaned and dried out, they work great! Just remove the old label, put on new labels (computer labels work good) and away you go! I put all the bottles in a ziplock and store it in the refrigerator "crisper".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden