U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 01:53 PM

583 posts, read 1,682,358 times

Advertisements

How long do various flower seeds last once you harvest and store them from your plants? I've collected seeds from various flowering perennials and such, for instance black eyed susan, so how long do they stay good if I keep them stored nice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 03:22 PM

3,339 posts, read 7,182,855 times
Depends on how they're stored. If they're dry when you store them, and you keep them in a breathable container like a brown bag, in cool dry conditions, they could last a few years or longer. The number of viable seeds diminishes over time, and your germination rates will fall off if you don't plant them soon.

Old 04-28-2013, 04:05 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,151,463 times
I don't know about flower seeds per se but dried fruit and vegetable seeds at room temperature usually remain viable for at least 2 or 3 years. Dried and in the refrigerator, a few more years. Dried and in the freezer, they can last as long as 10 or more years.

Old 04-28-2013, 05:59 PM

18,005 posts, read 17,159,915 times
I save the seeds that come in seed packets because I don't use all of them. I keep them in their packets, closed with a clip, in the fridge and use them the next year. It probably depends upon what type of seed it is too. I've saved beet seeds for years.

Old 09-14-2013, 11:23 PM

15,596 posts, read 34,561,048 times
Hey folks. I have had a crazy season for Peas. Most are huge peas in the pods (pods are biggest I've ever seen). I would like to save some for planting next spring. Anyone ever save peas for planting the next year?

Should I shell the peas or leave them in the pods?

Do I leave them in the pods and let them dry inside?

I have no idea what I'm doing!

Old 09-15-2013, 12:28 AM

95 posts, read 135,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Hey folks. I have had a crazy season for Peas. Most are huge peas in the pods (pods are biggest I've ever seen). I would like to save some for planting next spring. Anyone ever save peas for planting the next year?

Should I shell the peas or leave them in the pods?

Do I leave them in the pods and let them dry inside?

I have no idea what I'm doing!
Let them dry on the plant in the pods. Then remove them from the pods for next year. I freeze my seeds every year. I make my own seed containers out of copy paper or recycled school papers that come home constantly with my kids. Then I put them in a mylar bag or a zip lock bag, and stick it in the freezer. I have been doing for years and always had good germination rates.

A great book for saving seed is: Seed to Seed: Seed Saving and Growing Techniques for Vegetable Gardeners, 2nd Edition by Suzanne Ashworth,

Old 09-15-2013, 10:10 AM

15,596 posts, read 34,561,048 times
I will have my first frost probably this coming week. I am in southcentral Alaska and yes it's that time of year. If you keep your seeds in the freezer, perhaps a few frosts prior to drying on the plant may not hurt them. Thats the one bad thing about southern Alaska. Garden is at it's prime begining of September and then bam...we can get numerous frosts by end of the month.

Much appreciated!

Last edited by Rance; 09-15-2013 at 10:23 AM..

Old 09-15-2013, 12:38 PM

5,765 posts, read 2,961,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgmv90 View Post
How long do various flower seeds last once you harvest and store them from your plants? I've collected seeds from various flowering perennials and such, for instance black eyed susan, so how long do they stay good if I keep them stored nice?
Funny you asked this, as this Spring I was cleaning out and organizing my seed storage containers which stay dark , dry, and cool all year, and I ran across some lettuce seeds that were 12years old and some carrot seed (little fingers) that were 8years old. I had some extra space, so I planted them, and the germination rate was amazing.
I've had tomato seeds for five years that did well also. I think if you store them well, most seeds will last at least a few years but maybe not have as high of a germination rate.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:58 AM

583 posts, read 1,682,358 times
Most of my seeds are from perennials. I have so many different ones and I stored them correctly, but I just didnt want to keep saving them if they are not going to work eventually.

Old 10-23-2013, 02:54 PM

95 posts, read 135,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgmv90 View Post
Most of my seeds are from perennials. I have so many different ones and I stored them correctly, but I just didnt want to keep saving them if they are not going to work eventually.
As long as you aren't storing them in high temps, they should be fine for several years. I have had seeds do well 3-4 years after I harvested them or bought them. Do a germination test and see how they do.

How to Test Germination : Southern Exposure Seed Exchange, Saving the Past for the Future
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden