U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 02:38 PM

3,339 posts, read 7,052,863 times

Advertisements

The link I posted pretty much lists them all. That's the preeminent viburnum breeder in North America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 03:25 PM

17,398 posts, read 16,600,400 times
Just plant some kind of shrub that doesn't need trimming. Some kind of Viburnum would be fine but as so many people said, check to see what zone you're in and choose a type that will thrive there. Another idea would be rhododendrons for a screening shrub that won't need much attention.

Old 04-29-2013, 04:26 PM

723 posts, read 947,488 times
I have looked at the links provided and have a question, do deer like this shrub?

It's our first year at our home and I saw deer just stripping the leafs off the different Azelea's this past winter. For whatever reason I didn't think deer like these shrubs.

Old 04-29-2013, 04:28 PM

35,121 posts, read 36,959,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgmv90 View Post
I'm debating between putting up a rail fence vs putting a row of matching shrubs along my front yard. I can do either one, but I'm not sure which will look better. Any pros/cons from people who have done either one or both?
I would go with the fence and forget the plants but I hate plants so anyway, it is YOUR HOME, YOUR YARD, do what YOU WANT TO DO no matter what anyone else says about it.

Old 04-29-2013, 04:48 PM

20,426 posts, read 35,022,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodmuse View Post
I have looked at the links provided and have a question, do deer like this shrub?

It's our first year at our home and I saw deer just stripping the leafs off the different Azelea's this past winter. For whatever reason I didn't think deer like these shrubs.
Nothing is deer proof.
Deer will eat anything when starved.

Old 04-29-2013, 05:58 PM

25,631 posts, read 28,651,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
What??

Nonononono. No!

Nyet, nein, nunca, nevah photinia.
That was just for you my friend and the other photinia haters in here.

Looking over a landscape plan right now as a matter of fact where I'm going to be installing 20 of them on Thur.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:02 PM

25,631 posts, read 28,651,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
They were not even asking for advice on what to plant... so I was surprised that you know exactly what they should be putting in.

And no, I am not the zone police, but I do not suggest plants inappropriate for someone's area. No sense getting them excited about something that cannot live in their yard!
That's a double

Again thanks for the heads up, I'll be sure to check with you first before giving out advice next time.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:11 PM

20,426 posts, read 35,022,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
I'll be sure to check with you first before giving out advice next time.
Don't.
It's more amusing that way.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:49 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,540,879 times
bgm,
A rail fence or a row of shrubs...personally, if it is in the front
of my house I would go with the rail fence.
In front of the rail fence I would plant very low maintance plants
like daylilies.
They would look beautiful right in front of a rail fence.
My rail fence would be white.
If you ever go to sell your house, it would enhance the curb
appeal, which would help sell the house in the future.
Shrubs would also look nice, but will eventually grow large enough
to "hide" also of the house from the street. Do you want privacy
from the street? Is that the whole idea?
If you decide to sell the house in the future, you may have to take big shrubs
out to show it, no everyone likes big shrubs planted right in the front yard.
They will think, oh, there's an expense, we have to have those shrubs removed.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:09 PM

2,948 posts, read 10,936,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
That was just for you my friend and the other photinia haters in here.

Looking over a landscape plan right now as a matter of fact where I'm going to be installing 20 of them on Thur.
You just reminded me of a shrubbery feud a friend of mine got into with her neighbor some years ago.

My friend's cat was apparently sighted pooping in the neighbor's yard. So in retaliation the neighbor began pouring boiling water on friend's rose hedge dividing the properties. Don't know who was finally victorious....

But I'm sure several applications of boiling water would make short work of those 20 photinias you're planting on Thursday. Hope the neighbors are reading this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden