U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 07:16 PM

6,441 posts, read 12,932,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
What are you the zone police?

The OP can figure that out for themselves or ask the question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
What??

Nonononono. No!

Nyet, nein, nunca, nevah photinia.
LOL I didn't expect to find controversy in this seemingly-innocuous thread.

I would suggest something that fits into your neighborhood. If almost everyone else has paddock fencing or something, it would look nice if you did, too. If a lot of other people have hedges, then you should go for hedges, I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 09:32 AM

25,631 posts, read 27,925,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
You just reminded me of a shrubbery feud a friend of mine got into with her neighbor some years ago.

My friend's cat was apparently sighted pooping in the neighbor's yard. So in retaliation the neighbor began pouring boiling water on friend's rose hedge dividing the properties. Don't know who was finally victorious....

But I'm sure several applications of boiling water would make short work of those 20 photinias you're planting on Thursday. Hope the neighbors are reading this thread.
Midnight urea runs work as well.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:57 PM

575 posts, read 1,599,584 times
I want something for me, I like the idea of establishing where my yard is vs neighbors so that I can "see" my whole front yard as I drive up or leave just because I think it looks nice. I don't really know what would be cheaper up front either. I was leaning towards the plants, but then I thought other people wouldn't know who's plants they are if they don't match all the way around as a fence would match all the way around. Other neighbors have random things and I'm not trying to match either. I didn't think about curb appeal if I ever sell my house. But still, I'm torn as to which would look better. Or more cohesive. I want to define my front yard all the way around while making it look good to people who may come over to visit. Ugh, wish I could compare, but I can't do part one way.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:24 PM

4,872 posts, read 5,646,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly4u View Post
bgm,
A rail fence or a row of shrubs...personally, if it is in the front
of my house I would go with the rail fence.
In front of the rail fence I would plant very low maintance plants
like daylilies.
They would look beautiful right in front of a rail fence.
My rail fence would be white.
If you ever go to sell your house, it would enhance the curb
appeal, which would help sell the house in the future.
Shrubs would also look nice, but will eventually grow large enough
to "hide" also of the house from the street. Do you want privacy
from the street? Is that the whole idea?
If you decide to sell the house in the future, you may have to take big shrubs
out to show it, no everyone likes big shrubs planted right in the front yard.
They will think, oh, there's an expense, we have to have those shrubs removed.
/best post on the thread and I am a plant person.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:18 PM

575 posts, read 1,599,584 times
Also, if I ever sell the house, they might think, oh i have to upkeep a rail fence. So, still back to either idea seems to have equal pros/cons. Might have to flip a coin.

Old 01-30-2018, 03:48 PM

1,559 posts, read 1,688,927 times
OK, I'm photinia illiterate. I googled it but can't figure out why you hate it. Can please someone explain?

Old 02-03-2018, 06:35 AM

32,063 posts, read 40,262,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
I recommended Viburnums. Am I in trouble too?

I agree about red-tipped photinia. Nasty thing.
We have 30 year old photinia that are healthy, but we have also lost one old one to the disease they are prone to. The rest of them are probably on borrowed time. We have planted viburnum odoritissimum along the same fence line and they are a pretty, trouble free, evergreen shrub.

Old 02-03-2018, 06:41 AM

32,063 posts, read 40,262,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
OK, I'm photinia illiterate. I googled it but can't figure out why you hate it. Can please someone explain?
They are prone to a disease, which attacks new growth. The old ones we have get some very sickly looking new growth leaves, but then it seems to clear up. We had one that was very old and not planted close to others and all of a sudden, it up and croaked. They are especially susceptible after a hard pruning, when a lot of new growth takes place at once.

The garden centers here wont even sell them anymore.

Old 02-03-2018, 08:15 AM

19,688 posts, read 23,363,727 times
My immediate thought was about along the road, but do you mean along the side lot line of the front yard?

Is there any problem in your area with dog walkers using your front yard? How about neighborhood kids?

Hedge plants take a lot of work to keep them looking good. Plus, they don't respect boundaries and you might have problems with neighbors over your plants invading their air space. Myself, I don't like a closed off front yard. It's a bit claustrophobic.

A small fence always looks good and for the road side I like the suggestion to plant day lilies or iris in front of it, or a mixture of bulbs to extend the blooming season.

What I have in my front yard is a band of large smooth river rock along the road with a couple of juniper (whose time is limited. I don't like them, so removal looms in their future)

Unless you can't stand to look at your neighbors (junky neighbors), for the front yard, I suggest a fairly open looking fence, with just a few choice specimen plants, for ease of care. Split rail with no paint isn't too bad for maintenance and you can get vinyl for no maintenance. My next door neighbor has a beautiful black wrought iron fence in front that I have just discovered is vinyl and that looks really good.

Old 02-03-2018, 11:28 AM

4,365 posts, read 8,065,564 times
bulldogdad - if you use midnight urea runs to kill shrubbery, you need to drink more water. Urea is a fertilizer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or