U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2013, 10:27 PM

7,303 posts, read 22,737,174 times

Advertisements

Well it has happened again, the big ice storm we had in January) bent over my pine trees, which seems to happen year after year. We don't get much winter weather here, but when we do, it really does a number on my pine trees. They usually start to pick themselves back up, but this year they don't seem to be doing to well.

Should I leave them be awhile longer and see what happens or try to stake them up? I am afraid if I do that then they will never strengthen enough to stand on their own.

These are loblolly pines, slash pines and one is a pond pine. The STRANGE thing is that I also have the same pines in the upper part of the yard and there are two more near these that are leaning that never have any issues but these in this group always seem to lean down and stay down after an ice storm.

Now the ice also broke the top out of my Longleaf pine...

another view... pics taken a couple of days ago...

Now here is another Loblolly pine... this one was unaffected by the ice... I took these pics from here down a few days ago...

Couple of others... also no problems...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 07:00 AM

2,967 posts, read 3,954,885 times
Looks like these trees have too much vertical growth because they are in a shady area. They are trying to shoot straight up to reach the sun and are not developing enough of a strong base.

I would probably lightly strap them to a nearby strong tree to give them support, or stake them with 5 ft steel T posts. Maybe someone knows of some nutrients that will strengthen the trunks without causing a vertical growth spurt. I would also lightly prune off a few upper branches to reduce all that weight at the top.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:15 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,259,453 times
That is what I was thinking. I also noticed that the older tree's are all deciduous, rather than pines. It is possible that the soil has something in it that makes it less than desirable for pine trees. You may want to contact your extension agent for advice.

uh

Old 04-30-2013, 09:44 PM

7,303 posts, read 22,737,174 times
Thanks!

Yeah, these seem to be OK until we get an ice storm, then they lean and take forever to stand back up.

I would like to find something to strengthen the trunk and you are right, they are in a shady area.

Those older trees you see in the lower part of the pic there are deciduous trees as mentioned, they are Beech trees. They have been there for a very long time. They were there in 1980 when my grandparents bought the land on the lower side of ours (which is just to the left there) and of course when we moved here in 1995, they were really big. I would say they have been there for 60-90 years.

Thanks again!

Old 05-01-2013, 04:32 AM

8,004 posts, read 9,653,945 times
Looks like you've got a whole lot of weak, spindly babies there. If they were mine, I would top and tip prune them a bit, get them to put out more low growth. You might also want to give them a shot of "evergreen fertilizer". So many people don't realize that you can manipulate the growth on Evergreens, but you can, to a certain extent.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:03 AM

38,677 posts, read 45,030,920 times
OP if you stake the young trees properly they will eventually straighten and have strong trunks.
See this guideline: How to properly stake a tree! : Treescapers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or