U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-01-2013, 01:28 PM

3 posts, read 10,495 times
Default Honeysuckle or Star Jasmine - which vine to plant

We are putting a large trellis structure in our garden that will measure about 12ft high and about 20 feet in length to separate and create a barrier between my neighbor. It is south west facing and we live in San Jose CA. My husband and I cannot decide if we want to plant Honeysuckle or Star Jasmine. We do want a vine that has flowers + heavy fragrance so either would be fine but I'm interested in the feedback from experience gardeners on "things we need to be aware of". Which vine would you plant? I originally want to plant both but I was told the Star Jasmine would take over as it is more aggressive of the two. I was also told I need to watch out for frost with Honeysuckle. I'm very interested to hear from experienced gardeners on this topic.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 07:45 PM

1,461 posts, read 491,151 times
I've heard Honeysuckle can be invasive. We had wild Honeysuckle where I grew up in CT, and it sure was everywhere. But it was never bothered by freezing, always came back.

I don't know anything about Jasmine except that it's supposed to smell good and it's quite pretty.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:51 PM

24,826 posts, read 30,109,705 times
There are honeysuckle varieties that aren't invasive; but even the most invasive Japanese honeysuckle can be reined in in the backyard with a little effort. Some honeysuckle is deciduous, some isn't. Probably your local garden store would be the best source of information for the vines that grow best in your climate.

Their fragrances both are wonderful; you can't go wrong on that score with either one.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:23 PM

898 posts, read 1,109,137 times
Jasmine grows well in CA. Honeysuckle is invasive, we have one growing everywhere in the common area behind my house.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:15 AM

10,935 posts, read 7,656,253 times
If you want invasive, go for the orange blossom( white) Clematis. Although it only blooms in very late summer/ early fall, its about as fragant as you can get. Plus you'll have it popping up all over the neighborhood when the seeds germinate.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:43 AM

80 posts, read 92,706 times
I don't know about the star jasmine, but I have honeysuckle that is very invasive. I love the fragrance, though, so I let it stay. I'll mow over it and prune it to keep it in check, but I think it would take a great deal of work to eradicate the stuff. I have the honeysuckle growing up through a couple of huge knockout roses that I can't stand (they came with the house). With the exception of an aggressive pruning once or twice a year, I let the roses and the honeysuckle duke it out.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:31 AM

7,867 posts, read 5,670,185 times
Myself, I would have several varieties of grape growing on that nice trellis.

I'm partial to star jasmine. It won't get as large or heavy as that honeysuckle. Both are good looking and both smell wonderful.

Is there any reason you can not plant a few of each kind? Also, I would try to plant different varieties to try to spread out the flowering season for longer.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:34 AM

7,867 posts, read 5,670,185 times
Additional note; that huge volume of scented vine might be overwhelming if all in bloom at the same time. Consider alternating the heavy scent with something else that is pretty but not so strongly scented. How about climbing roses? Very pretty and often planted with honeysuckle.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:38 PM

3 posts, read 10,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Myself, I would have several varieties of grape growing on that nice trellis.

I'm partial to star jasmine. It won't get as large or heavy as that honeysuckle. Both are good looking and both smell wonderful.

Is there any reason you can not plant a few of each kind? Also, I would try to plant different varieties to try to spread out the flowering season for longer.
I was told I should pick one because having both would not be good. My husband doesn't want a solid block of green (which is what we will get with the star jasmine after it flowers) and that we should go for the honeysuckle. Most people have said frost won't be an issue and I will need to keep pruning.

Old 05-03-2013, 05:48 PM

24,826 posts, read 30,109,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Additional note; that huge volume of scented vine might be overwhelming if all in bloom at the same time.
I cannot fathom a scenario in which this would be objectionable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden