U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 07:18 PM

3,339 posts, read 6,585,928 times

Advertisements

If you don't want to grow edibles in them, cannas are fantastic in them! And you don't need to break your back digging them up at the end of the season. Just pull them out of the straw -- easy peasey! I masked my compost bins with these a couple years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
My first straw bale garden, photos.-img_1612.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 11:46 PM

9,530 posts, read 8,378,867 times
These gardening photos are great. You are all very creative. TinaMcG, I really like the flowers in that straw bale. I like how the straw is elevated to give the area a natural landscape.

Old 05-24-2013, 06:24 AM

6,191 posts, read 13,683,847 times
Very pretty!

I found this blog a while back; she really made a nice garden with her bales.

The Dirt I Occupy: The Amazing Straw Bale Garden

Makes my row of bales along the fence look very...plain.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:36 AM

440 posts, read 924,297 times
Quick update on my Straw Bale endeavor. Found out mushrooms really do well. If only they were edible. Book says "do not eat them". Maybe someone can figure a way to grow edible mushrooms.

Beans, peas, lettuce, radishes, beets, carrots, are sprouting. Strawberry plants are really doing well. I have 2 tomatoe plants in one bale, doing well.
But the mushrooms are raising havoc. More in some bales than others.
Had to cover plants last night due to frost warnings.

Had wood stove going yesterday morning and this morning. Wood heat feels good.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:43 PM

3,339 posts, read 6,585,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Very pretty!

I found this blog a while back; she really made a nice garden with her bales.

The Dirt I Occupy: The Amazing Straw Bale Garden

Makes my row of bales along the fence look very...plain.
Wow wow wow! That is some straw bale garden!!!! I've often thought of making a maze with them. We sure have the room, but the distance to the nearest hose bib is a setback. Pain in the neck to water.

Chiro, you wait until yours are grown in and then tell me they look plain!

Old 05-27-2013, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportFury59 View Post
Quick update on my Straw Bale endeavor. Found out mushrooms really do well. If only they were edible. Book says "do not eat them". Maybe someone can figure a way to grow edible mushrooms.

Beans, peas, lettuce, radishes, beets, carrots, are sprouting. Strawberry plants are really doing well. I have 2 tomatoe plants in one bale, doing well.
But the mushrooms are raising havoc. More in some bales than others.
Had to cover plants last night due to frost warnings.

Had wood stove going yesterday morning and this morning. Wood heat feels good.
SportFury, my mother and father-in-law were knowledgeable wild mushroom foragers and my FIL grew (edible...) 'shrooms under their bed for a couple of years. Anyway as far as I know mushrooms are a sign of healthy bales and it's OK to either leave them or weed them out. I had a few mushrooms too.

Lack of foresight: I didn't realise what a long, long shadow my neighbor's 100 ft tall ash tree cast. So direct sun doesn't start hitting my bales until about 11 am, then the trees on my property start filtering the sun by 4-5 pm. But it is still "bright shade" so I think it's fine.

Twelve days after planting. We're still having some cool cloudy days (this is May in Michigan, after all) and some overnight temps down in the high 30s/low 40s (ditto) but nothing has died yet, everything is growing and we've got some hot, sunny days in the forecast.

Old 05-31-2013, 12:53 AM

9,530 posts, read 8,378,867 times
Looking good, Chiroptera!

Old 05-31-2013, 02:17 AM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON!"*"CHRISTE, ELEISON" KYRIE, ELEISON!"0)
2,498 posts, read 4,634,964 times
Thumbs up Thank you

Quote:
I didn't do anything fancy with the layout; just placed them in a line along a portion of fence where they'll get full sun and I will have easy watering access.
Hopefully I'll be planting my veggies next weekend as long as the weather forecast is nice!
I'll update this thread periodically with pics.

Great thread, please post more pictures Thank you

Old 05-31-2013, 06:15 PM

I'll take more photos tomorrow!

Each of my okra plants died. I had two in a huge planter, and two in a bale. Actually one of the ones in the bales might still make it but it's still puny and struggling. I've never planted okra in my life, so maybe they're a special-needs veggie. Need to research. They were very tiny, just-sprouted seedlings with only two leaves. Maybe I should have left them in the pots for more hardening-off time.

However everything else is growing well, although the basil is getting some dark spots on the lower leaves. Tomatoes and bush beans are going nuts, the lone eggplant is about to flower and the cilantro is getting bushy.

We've been having sun mixed with wild wet weather, including a tornado that came down about a half mile from my house on Tuesday night and took out a lot of buildings and trees. Not optimal sun exposure for sure.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:22 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON!"*"CHRISTE, ELEISON" KYRIE, ELEISON!"0)
2,498 posts, read 4,634,964 times
Wink Pictures please, thanks. Just a reminder.

Do not forget the promise about the pictures

By the way, the bales are actually on the outside of your fenced yard, right? Because you said the dogs
in the back yard are yours, right? So, have the neighbors complained about seeing the bales there? As
they walk by...

Is it hard to obtain organic bales? Many thanks

Quote:
I'll take more photos tomorrow!

Each of my okra plants died. I had two in a huge planter, and two in a bale. Actually one of the ones in the bales might still make it but it's still puny and struggling. I've never planted okra in my life, so maybe they're a special-needs veggie. Need to research. They were very tiny, just-sprouted seedlings with only two leaves. Maybe I should have left them in the pots for more hardening-off time.

However everything else is growing well, although the basil is getting some dark spots on the lower leaves. Tomatoes and bush beans are going nuts, the lone eggplant is about to flower and the cilantro is getting bushy.

We've been having sun mixed with wild wet weather, including a tornado that came down about a half mile from my house on Tuesday night and took out a lot of buildings and trees. Not optimal sun exposure for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden