Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 10:40 AM

510 posts, read 905,242 times

Advertisements

Forgive my ignorance--I am a novice gardener.
I had a volunteer tree cut from my front yard (right up against the front porch) and it turns out a climbing rose was wrapped around it. In the past six months that stalk has grown rapidly. So now I have one shoot that is about five feet high and two short ones (about a foot long). I feel like I should get a trellis but I am not sure how to make it work aesthetically. Should I buy a rectangular shaped trellis and wrap or weave the long stalk around it? I have looked online but I cannot figure this out!
I hope this post makes sense. My challenge is that I only really have one substantial stalk.
Thank you.

Last edited by EveKendall; 05-15-2013 at 11:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 11:28 AM

32,632 posts, read 47,975,309 times
What sort of trellis would you like? You can use anything from a couple of metal posts and a bit if rusty fence wire, all the way to a beautiful gazebo.

The rose will fill in. I would take some soft cotton fabric and tie the stalk to the trellis. That will get it started in the right direction. Tie it loose and use 100% cotton, which will eventually rot off.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:40 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Right now this topic is extremely exciting to me.

I have always dreamed of a climbing rose but due to the houses and apartments I lived in here was no place to have one.

I have now been the owner of a climbing rose (New Dawn) for three days.

My husband built the trellis and he knows far more than I do. What he did was to buy wooden criss cross lengths from Home Depot. I don't know what it's called but people will cut it and use it under their deck to close the space in. Kind of flimsy, criss cross strips of thin wood.

They come in certain lengths and he cut them and nailed them so that there is a double layer, making it stronger. Then he set one end into the ground and arched the other end over so it touches the house. It's like a half arch made of a double layer of this criss cross material. (I feel foolish because I don't know what to call it.)

He then planted the rose right at the place where the arch goes into the ground. He says as it grows we will train it to go over the arch towards the house. Now this didn't cost much as we are on a budget but you can spend $1000 and up for a trellis.

This is a do it yourself prefab cheap method of getting a nice trellis. Maybe I can get a picture of it--or maybe you'll just want to pay the money and buy a free standing trellis. I've seen some pretty ones that are like an archway and you plant the roses on each end. Mine is fine for my purposes --and cheap.

Old 05-15-2013, 01:18 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times
climbing roses dont actually"climb" like vines do, they use the thorns to "hold on" and often esepcially as they get larger need to be tied to hep support.
personally i like to keep old pantyhose for this purpose, cut into strips, soft enought o not damage the stalks, strong enough to not give une thewight and stretch enough to give plenty of grow room. (obviously tie loosly)

you ca use ANYTHING for trellis, a frine do mine found a realy cool twin bed iron headboard at a garage sale for $10 and shes using that a a trellis...im on the look out for old wooden ladders to use for the ones on the back of my house
theres pre-fab, pre made...home made...
another frined bougth a 16ft cattle panel for $20 form tractor supply...suming you can get the dang thing home...she ue a couple small t-posts hammeded in on 2 corners and attatched one end (short end) of the pannel to that, the 2 more t-posts about 6 ft away and arched the pannel, some cable ties hold the whole thing in place its suprisingly sturdy, shes got roses and clematis growing over it and a little bistro set under it

Old 05-15-2013, 05:01 PM

I was trying to describe the trellised arch dh built and I looked out the window at it--he actually took an upright and nailed another piece of wood to it at an angle to form the half arch. THEN he nailed the criss cross trellising under and over the wood. (If it ever stops raining I can try to get a picture.)

Old 05-16-2013, 03:17 PM

It wasn't raining today so I took some pictures of it. I just couldn't explain it. This is only on a little cottage so it's good enough. He took an upright and he took a smaller length of wood to start the arch and then another piece to finish it. It looks sort of crude now but the rose is planted on the lower right and should completely cover the arch. It is attached to the house so he didn't have to make another vertical side.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:08 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,456,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
It wasn't raining today so I took some pictures of it. I just couldn't explain it. This is only on a little cottage so it's good enough. He took an upright and he took a smaller length of wood to start the arch and then another piece to finish it. It looks sort of crude now but the rose is planted on the lower right and should completely cover the arch. It is attached to the house so he didn't have to make another vertical side.

Nice

Old 05-17-2013, 06:27 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,456,256 times
I grow roses and have several climbers. It really depends on your location, aesthetics and personal taste.
The simplest - buy a trellis (any big box store) from metal or wood. If close to a wall or similar, you can simply use nails and a soft piece of string. It does the job beautifully. Or, use a pole or obelisk. I have 2 such obelisks in my garden and love them:

Garden Obelisk - Trellises at Simply Arbors

Here are 2 videos from Paul - a real rose expert:

Training A Rose On A Trellis - YouTube

How To Pillar A Rose - YouTube

Last edited by oberon_1; 05-17-2013 at 06:41 PM..

Old 05-18-2013, 07:41 AM

Those are interesting videos--I'll make sure dh watches them too, especially the part about going sideways so you don't just end up with blooms up at the top. (I'm glad you approve of our simple trellis arch, that made me feel even better about it.)

Anyone know how long until we get ROSES??

Old 05-18-2013, 08:33 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,577,469 times
You could use something like this free-standing trellis. I was only familiar with trellises that went up against walls. But when I moved into my new house, I found that what I thought was a rose bush must have been a climber. It's planted in a bed that's edging my patio, with no support at all -- just flailing all over the place! So I bought something like the trellis in the link at my local hardware store (about $25), cut the rose back and "trained" it to grow up and through the trellis. It's really thriving now! (my trellis is about 4' tall, and the rose is now maybe 5' tall)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden