Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 06:34 PM

320 posts, read 2,528,619 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the feedback everyone, very helpful. I was also concerned the French marigolds might be a bit small, but the planting beds themselves are not very huge. The American marigolds are larger, but at least locally seem to be only available in solid colors. My wife likes the varied color of the French marigolds.

I like the idea of zig zagging as well, and if I was planting 2 or more rows in parallel I might try that (where the second row is offset from the first), but in these beds there might only be room for one row. Are you suggesting zig zagging that single row?

Thanks for this input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 06:35 PM

320 posts, read 2,528,619 times
By the way, I live in Southern California -- I'm thinking these marigolds would last & bloom into the fall perhaps?

Old 06-07-2013, 08:21 AM

3,942 posts, read 2,342,896 times
Planted Marigolds in mid May. I think I see some sprouting out of the ground but nothing tall or blooming yet. Give it more time?

Old 06-07-2013, 09:09 AM

2,063 posts, read 7,779,594 times
Quote:
I think the recommendation on these is to plant them 5-6inches apart, but that can leave things looking a bit sparse, so I am curious if these plants will expand.
The single biggest landscaping mistake I have seen that is common to people planting plants, shrubs or trees is planting too many too close together. Tina did a whole thread on that.

Motifone There are quite a few varieties of French Marigolds being sold. As a rule of thumb for an unknown variety a gardener can assume that they can get as big as 12 inches tall by 12 inches wide. This is why the tag can be your best guide. Depending on the variety they can get as big as 18 inches tall and 15 inches in diameter and they can be as small as 6 inches high and 6 inches wide if planted in perfect conditions. If the tag recommends them 5-6 inches apart you can assume they will be more like the latter and you should plant them about that distance from each other. By August they will have reached their maximum size and depending on weather conditions should keep flowering for quite a while longer. For most gardeners it is limited to when the first frosts arrive but in California, if you are in an area without frost, I am not sure if they eventually peter out or continue. Bulldogdad should know if he sees this.

Quote:
I randomly threw a Marigold seed packet last spring in a flowerbed and they came up huge. Fast forward to this spring, I started getting little seedlings all over and the interesting thing is, is the seed packet said they were annuals. It was a nice surprise.
Txtoal the definition of annual is that it generally lives for one year and dies in its native habitat. Seedlings are the new generation from seeds that it left behind and they too will only live this year. There are exceptions where an annual will survive a mild winter and grow a second year. I have several begonias that are now 3 years old for that very reason, even though they, too, are "annuals." Enjoy the happy surprise! Perennials are plants that are expected to come back year after year from roots or other underground parts, or that stay evergreen over winter.

Quote:
Planted Marigolds in mid May. I think I see some sprouting out of the ground but nothing tall or blooming yet. Give it more time?
quiet life I think you are expecting a miracle. Generally the earliest you can see a bloom on most of the marigolds planted from seed is about 7-8 weeks after they have been seeded. Usually this is stated somewhere on the packet, along with the approximate correct seeding time for when your area has its last average frost date. Most people who start their garden from seeds count backwards from this expected frost date to start their seedlings indoors and have them large enough to transplant and begin blooming when the weather is warm enough.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&Em View Post
quiet life I think you are expecting a miracle. Generally the earliest you can see a bloom on most of the marigolds planted from seed is about 7-8 weeks after they have been seeded. Usually this is stated somewhere on the packet, along with the approximate correct seeding time for when your area has its last average frost date. Most people who start their garden from seeds count backwards from this expected frost date to start their seedlings indoors and have them large enough to transplant and begin blooming when the weather is warm enough.
Well, divine intervention would have been nice Last frost was over 3 weeks ago and we have been getting plenty rain in northeast PA lately. Was hoping for an early bloom. Yes, I know. Wishful thinking. I'll practice patience from now on. I believe they are on track because I see some sprouts. Looking forward to some blooms in July

Old 07-29-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
Well, divine intervention would have been nice Last frost was over 3 weeks ago and we have been getting plenty rain in northeast PA lately. Was hoping for an early bloom. Yes, I know. Wishful thinking. I'll practice patience from now on. I believe they are on track because I see some sprouts. Looking forward to some blooms in July
Well July is here and behold my Marigolds. Not bad
Attached Thumbnails
Spacing & Growth rate for Marigolds (sold as packets)-img_0074.jpg   Spacing & Growth rate for Marigolds (sold as packets)-img_0073.jpg   Spacing & Growth rate for Marigolds (sold as packets)-img_0075.jpg  

Old 07-29-2013, 10:21 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,062,587 times
When I used to buy annuals, I always pinched out the center growth. This is hard to do for many people, especially if it means pinching out a flower or a bud. But this ensures a busy, more robust plant. Some plants get so leggy in the nursery if they aren't given enough light so this is an essential step.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:30 AM

Are you saying they are bunched too close together? I could dig out and plant them somewhere else?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden