Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 11:07 AM

4,490 posts, read 4,979,166 times

Advertisements

Husband just sprinkled seeds under our huge trees in the front.
We have a large supply of basil, dill, and parsley now.
We also have Rosemary that has taken over half the side of our home.
Love the smell after it rains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 05:25 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,393,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
I'm growing Thai basil, Holy basil, Genovese basil, globe basil, purple basil, lemon basil, Cuban oregano (varigated and regular), Greek oregano, Mexican oregano, sage, pineapple sage, thyme, fenugreek, lemongrass, curled parsley, winter savory, summer savory, dill, culantro, fennel, French tarragon, spearmint, peppermint, chocolate mint, rosemary, garlic chives, green onions, Mexican mint marigold, hoja santa, epazote, bay laurel, kaffir lime, lovage, chervil, zatar, and ginger. All are in pots or in a (slightly) raised bed.

Not growing cilantro. I kind of gave up on it since every time I try to grow it it goes to seed at 5 inches tall a couple weeks after it sprouts
Glad to see I'm not alone. I've only grown it once, but it went to seed really fast. Dried cilantro doesn't taste the same.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:08 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,733,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Glad to see I'm not alone. I've only grown it once, but it went to seed really fast. Dried cilantro doesn't taste the same.
Yeah and it's like 59 cents for a big bundle of it at the grocery store near my house, so I figured why bother? I only use it a few times a month anyway. You have to sow seeds every few weeks to keep a supply going. More trouble than it's worth.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:23 AM

83,502 posts, read 75,252,292 times
I grow mine in pots only. I feel like they'll be less suseptible to bugs and ground diseases plus its easier to have the pots on the deck and pick them. :-)

Pretty much everything. Basil, Lemon Balm, Mint, Chives, Rosemary, Oregano, Parsely, Anise, Teragon

Old 06-05-2013, 05:59 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,393,675 times
I'll add basil. I just picked a little one that reseeded from last year.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:38 PM

Added another one today, spicy orange creeping thyme. Its smell is amazing. Growing your own food is like taking the red pill in the Matrix. It opens your eyes to the incredible amount of foods there are beyond the measly 0.1% that they sell in the grocery store.

Old 06-09-2013, 03:35 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,211,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, today I made myself fine cup of peppermint tea from the mint in my garden. It was so delicious!

I am going to get online and find some other herbal tea mixtures. I used to drink a glass (ok, two glasses) of wine nearly every night, but I've been trying to lose a few pounds before vacation, so I switched to hot tea, and I am really loving it. So now that I have all these herbs, I think I'll try some home made herbal mixtures.

I'll let y'all know if I hit on a good one -meanwhile, if you have good herbal tea recipes, pass them along!
Try to find Rooibos seeds, Rooibos Tea Plants | eHow. Tastes more like tea should taste that common tea does.

Old 06-10-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsson View Post
Try to find Rooibos seeds, Rooibos Tea Plants | eHow. Tastes more like tea should taste that common tea does.
An herbal tisane tastes more like tea than real tea does?

I like rooibos "tea" but I find that statement a little strange.

Old 06-10-2013, 01:41 PM

589 posts, read 1,347,201 times
I have Pineapple mint, spearmint, rosemary, basil, chives, marjoram, and sage. All in one long rectangular container. The chive flowered once, then turned yellow, and I thought I was going to lose it. But now it's perked up and bright green again. I use them all for cooking and flavoring, and I like to just pull mint leaves to chew.

I tried last year to grow from seeds and they all failed. I do better with starter plants, and the ones that grow best for me aren't the ones from the nursery or the local university ag dept. I do best with the fresh, roots still on, herbs at the grocery store. Pick them up, plant the same day, and they just seem to thrive.

I couldn't find cilantro anywhere this year. I love it, I use it often when cooking, and I couldn't grow it this year.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:57 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,250,461 times
Well, I have three new "herbs" as of yesterday afternoon - sort of.

My milk goat had her babies (triplets). I wanted to go with 'B' names this year (last year's twins are Aspen and Artemis), so I named them Basil and Borage (the girls) and Bergamot (the boy).

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden