Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 02:11 PM

22 posts, read 77,609 times

Advertisements

I live in a very deer-dense area in a suburb of Austin. "Deer Resistant" usually don't do the trick...they eat them anyway. I'm looking for more ideas of actual "deer proof" plants. The only ones they don't seem to be eating are the Lantana, Lavender and Vinca. Any other suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 07:39 PM

1,378 posts, read 3,210,897 times
Rosemary! We've planted a lot of it.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:45 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,347,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austintxgal View Post
I live in a very deer-dense area in a suburb of Austin. "Deer Resistant" usually don't do the trick...they eat them anyway. I'm looking for more ideas of actual "deer proof" plants. The only ones they don't seem to be eating are the Lantana, Lavender and Vinca. Any other suggestions?
No plant is listed as deer proof. Deer resistant is the best you'll get. If their food sources are low and there are too many competing for so little food, they will eat anything.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:19 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
get in touch with your county extension office (dept of agriculture). they should have a sheet for deer resistant plants for your area. I can tell you they don't like fuzzy plants like lambs ear, any of the ornamental grasses are usually good, herbs but be careful cause they spread, coreopsis,amsonia blue star, false baptisia, ajuga, st. john's wort, . if deer are hungry enough they will eat anything and everything.

Last edited by no kudzu; 06-15-2013 at 08:55 PM..

Old 06-15-2013, 08:33 PM

54 posts, read 105,504 times
Here is a lil oriental deer scarer called a deer clacker. It produces a sound that is suspose to scare off deer. Maybe??

My Japanese Deer Clacker - thetwocrows' Photos

Make a Shishi-odoshi "deer scarer" bamboo water fountain - YouTube

Another handy item I have used to keep raccons out of my yard is the Scare Crow. This might work for the deer as well. it uses a transistor battery to operate it with your garden hose.It is infra-red which means it takes the heat from an object to make it work, not motion per say. So falling leaves won't turn it on.

ScareCrow Sprinkler - Motion Activated / Motion Sensor Sprinkler Animal Deterrent | Do My Own Pest Control

How to keep animals out of your garden - the Scarecrow Sprinkler review - YouTube

Wish you well! I wish I had deer to eat everything I could feed them!!!

Old 06-15-2013, 08:40 PM

1,378 posts, read 3,210,897 times
We do have ajuga and St. John's wort. They haven't bothered them. We have deer in our yard every day. Today, my husband was splitting wood and it didn't bother her at all.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:21 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,855,288 times
I know a 30/30 would not work in a residential neighborhood, but have you considered some target practice with a bow and arrow?
uh

Old 06-15-2013, 09:45 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
You can find a spray on deer repellant at HD or the local nursery or hardware. We used a couple before we found the one that worked for us. You have to spray every three weeks or so, and you should not spray right before a rain. If you can break them of the habit of browsing your ornamentals, they might not come round as often. But this could take a year or more. So, spray conscientiously.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:45 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleharley View Post
I know a 30/30 would not work in a residential neighborhood, but have you considered some target practice with a bow and arrow?
uh
yes actually I have considered that but then what would I do with the carcass? Nobody would come get it and I don't want it rotting on my property. And besides kids play in woods around here. Every year there is a government sanctioned culling of a huge herd in Duke Forest but it does little good. we need to bring back their natural predators.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:52 PM

54 posts, read 105,504 times
Here is another way we used in Vietnam to alert us to critters from the jungle. Behind me is a line of bamboo poles with beer cans on them

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps79c06e07.jpg

Which is where this idea comes from!!

How to Keep Deer Out of Your Garden. DIY...easy, fun and cheap! - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden