Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2013, 05:15 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,255,145 times

Advertisements

Last fall after we moved here (Pacific Northwest) I bought a Stihl trimmer from the local guy (not Home Depot or Lowes). He showed me how to use it and sold me the nylon line for it (Stihl "Premium Quality Trimmer Line," .080"/2.0 mm).

I can now start the trimmer without much trouble, and I am getting better at bumping it to feed the line, so I'm making progress. But -

I spend a lot of time messing with the line. Sometimes it melts onto itself or onto the plastic spool, then won't feed. It breaks far too often. It gets caught beneath itself in the spool. How can I better manage the line? Is there a better brand? I already keep it out of the sun and in the garage (cool), not the hot shed, and I don't put much on the spool at one time.

Also, when I put the spool on the trimmer, how tight should I tighten the cap thing? I don't make it tight, because it needs to move when bumped - but how much should it be able to be moved?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 08:02 PM

54 posts, read 104,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
Last fall after we moved here (Pacific Northwest) I bought a Stihl trimmer from the local guy (not Home Depot or Lowes). He showed me how to use it and sold me the nylon line for it (Stihl "Premium Quality Trimmer Line," .080"/2.0 mm).

I can now start the trimmer without much trouble, and I am getting better at bumping it to feed the line, so I'm making progress. But -

I spend a lot of time messing with the line. Sometimes it melts onto itself or onto the plastic spool, then won't feed. It breaks far too often. It gets caught beneath itself in the spool. How can I better manage the line? Is there a better brand? I already keep it out of the sun and in the garage (cool), not the hot shed, and I don't put much on the spool at one time.

Also, when I put the spool on the trimmer, how tight should I tighten the cap thing? I don't make it tight, because it needs to move when bumped - but how much should it be able to be moved?
You will like this video. The cap should be tight.

Using String Trimmers - YouTube

Old 06-15-2013, 08:28 PM

36,499 posts, read 53,845,993 times
Stihl has several helpful you tube videos as well as a good reputation for help either on line or phone

HOW TO Replace STIHL Grass Trimmer Line - YouTube

Old 06-16-2013, 09:51 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,255,145 times
Thanks. The second video is like my trimmer. I'm doing all that right, though.

Why is my line melting and sticking? Is that normal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden