Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2014, 04:15 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times

Advertisements

Our landscape company planted five gardenia bushes last February, and they bloomed last year. Not a lot, but they bloomed. Everything else they planted has done well to very well, so I guess the landscape guy knew what he was doing.

This winter, in our record cold weather, we noticed they gardenia's were getting yellow leaves, and dropping leaves. Now, they have dropped most of their leaves, have very little new growth, and look spindly. To be honest, they look like they are dying.

Did they get shocked by the cold and do they need replacing? (We did lose three rosemary bushes the same way, but so did nearly everyone in our neighborhood.)

If they need replacing, suggestions for something else that will bloom easily besides Azalea's (we already have plenty of those).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 05:45 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,910,766 times
Jk,
I live in AIken,SC, which is about 14 miles from Augusta Ga.
I am in zone 8, and the winter was horrible down here.
All my gardenias lived, but looked a sorry for awhile.
I don't know your zone, but I do know that gardenias are very hardy
plants. Are you watering them when it doesn't rain?
Do you have them on a sprinkler system for your lawn?
Gardenias really should be hand watered, because they rot so easily.
Try hand watering them and spply about 2-3 inches of mulch around
them and see if they perk up for you.
I've seen gardenias with only a couple of green leaves left come out ok.
If they don't improve for you, you might try replacing them with
a Hawthorne.
Look Hawthorne up online. Nice evergreen bush, inexpensive, loves
sun, and easy peasy to grow.
They usually come in white or pink.
I have Indian Hawthorne in white, but they may have even more colors
available.
Then there is always albelia.
Very nice bush, easily trimmed, pretty fragrant white flowers, evergreen,
I have "Kaleidoscope", it has multiple color leaves on it.
Also very easy peasy to grow.
Sorry about your gardenias.

Old 05-10-2014, 03:28 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Our gardenias here in GA suffered a similar fate this year. The nursery told us to be patient and they should come back. Fingers crossed.

Old 05-10-2014, 03:33 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
I'm within spitting distance from you and mine did just fine through the winter but very few blooms. They are 6 years old. I did however lose a bunch of perennials I'm in the process of replacing.
Have you gone to Tony Avent's Plants Delight near you? Not to be missed.

http://www.plantdelights.com/

Old 05-10-2014, 04:22 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Our landscape company planted five gardenia bushes last February, and they bloomed last year. Not a lot, but they bloomed. Everything else they planted has done well to very well, so I guess the landscape guy knew what he was doing.

This winter, in our record cold weather, we noticed they gardenia's were getting yellow leaves, and dropping leaves. Now, they have dropped most of their leaves, have very little new growth, and look spindly. To be honest, they look like they are dying.

Did they get shocked by the cold and do they need replacing? (We did lose three rosemary bushes the same way, but so did nearly everyone in our neighborhood.)

If they need replacing, suggestions for something else that will bloom easily besides Azalea's (we already have plenty of those).
Have you fed them? I have one huge plant that I keep in a big pot. About 5 years old. I top it off with African Violet soil each spring. We don't freeze too bad down here, but I still keep it covered if there is any danger of ice.

It is just now starting to bloom. Has lots of buds. I applied the African violet soil about a month ago.

Old 05-10-2014, 06:07 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,384,266 times
Maybe it's chlorosis?

http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/plan...s-and-iron.htm

Gardenias like acidic soil with a lower PH, and need special fertilizer that doesn't have too much phosphorus.

I have trouble growing them in Clay soil.

Old 05-10-2014, 06:30 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
I have trouble growing them in Clay soil.
I don't know what to attribute my lovely gardenias to. Just luck I guess. I doubt very seriously the landscape crew amended this horrible clay soil when they planted them as part of the foundation planting. I haven't fed them in 5 years. Thanks for reminding me I need to do that.

Old 05-10-2014, 08:09 PM

186 posts, read 436,292 times
Give them a chance, I have 3 very large August Beauty gardenia out front and they have looked horrible (lost foliage, blacked branches), they are about 8 years old and very well established. But just today I noticed them shooting out teeny green leaves getting ready to "re-leaf" themselves (location = Charlotte). My "frost-proof" gardenia are getting ready to bloom and didn't seem to take the beating the August Beauties did, just in case you need to replace. I feed mine Holly Tone twice a year after bloom.

Old 05-11-2014, 10:23 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I'm within spitting distance from you and mine did just fine through the winter but very few blooms. They are 6 years old. I did however lose a bunch of perennials I'm in the process of replacing.
Have you gone to Tony Avent's Plants Delight near you? Not to be missed.

Plant Delights Website
Yes, we went last year and purchased some things that are doing splendidly. We wanted to go back this spring, but were out of town last weekend, and have other plans this weekend. Maybe in July.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden