Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 12:59 PM

3,972 posts, read 4,253,478 times

Advertisements

Here in 7b, I never leave ceramic pots of any kind out during the winter. Too many experiences with cracking and breaking. Glad it has worked out for you, although I give you props for being willing to run out and cover them when it goes below freezing. That happens too much here and I am sure I would get lazy or forgetful and that would be the end of my pots!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2016, 03:28 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
Any time I've left something out over the winter, it fills up with snow and ice and gets wrecked.

The expanding ice will crack the planters and so will the snow when it melts and turns to water, then freezes up again. I put everything into the shed yesterday and what wouldn't fit may not last through the winter. In winter there is no way to get to the back yard because the snow can be waist high and frozen--you just cannot get through it. What's done is done and I'll see what it looks like in the spring. I did turn some big pots upside down--maybe they'll survive.

Old 11-20-2016, 03:56 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,099,795 times
After what I paid for a few of my pots leaving them outside would be like leaving a child outside, I don't think of it. I out them on a dolly and roll them to the interior wall of the garage, plants in them and cover with towel.

Old 11-22-2016, 12:01 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,694,370 times
I only have a couple and I leave them out all winter.
I am in zone 5b so lots of potential for freezing temps well into spring.

Both were sold as frost and freeze resistant and so far they've been fine since I bought them several years ago.

Old 11-23-2016, 10:46 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,103,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
After what I paid for a few of my pots leaving them outside would be like leaving a child outside, I don't think of it. I out them on a dolly and roll them to the interior wall of the garage, plants in them and cover with towel.
I prefer plastic or wood, but the ceramics, glazed or not stay outside, except those few with perennials that have to come in for the winter.. I never buy them larger than about 3 gallon size, and they are not that expensive to replace every 2-3 years when they fall apart. It's just too much bother to bring them in, and take up storage space. Most of my ceramics are bonsai pots and some of them have made it 20+ years outdoors all year without any signs of failure, but they tend to be better made than the typical home center bargain pots.

Old 11-24-2016, 02:49 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,918,476 times
If you get a frost once in awhile and the pots contain soil and moisture, they might crack. If they're empty, then you might be ok.

Old 11-24-2016, 02:57 PM

10,089 posts, read 6,422,760 times
I just bought two ceramic pots that are supposed to be "frost proof" from Lowes, so I'm going to try leaving them out this winter. However, if the temps get down in the 'teens, I'll move them to the garage.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:37 AM

678 posts, read 437,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
After what I paid for a few of my pots leaving them outside would be like leaving a child outside,
I don't think of it.
I out them on a dolly and roll them to the interior wall of the garage, plants in them and cover with towel.
oh boy, talk about putting someone on a guilt-trip w/ "like leaving a child outside".
Here in zn.8A it's been in low 20's forever seemingly, & yesterday it got down to only 13 ! but
since no garage, & the shed's shot, the ceramic pots are tucked against South-side of house.
How many planters can you move inside a house? oh brother !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden