Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2013, 09:15 AM

2 posts, read 5,695 times

Advertisements

Hello I am a first time gardener and am having some problems with a out of control rutgers tomato plant.

It has taken over almost my entire garden now and I don't know what to do, it has 5 or 6 tomatoes on it and I am hesitant to move any of my plants due to moving a few not long ago and they died and my cucumber plant is starting to grow a vine that is wrapping around the tomato plant.

What do I do????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 09:36 AM

83,343 posts, read 74,706,710 times
Great forum to post this in is the Garden forum. Many great people on there.

First off, DO NOT transplant it late in the game now, you'll probably end up shocking the plant.

You can train the cukes to climb up a trellis so start building one or buy one for them.

You can prune the Tomato plants if they are really overgrown and too much for your space but leave the branches with the fruits and flowers on them. Pleas ewatch some Youtube videos on pruning before you do it. You can ruin the plant and stop the yeilds.

Old 07-20-2013, 09:46 AM

13,345 posts, read 26,850,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frye5929 View Post
Hello I am a first time gardener and am having some problems with a out of control rutgers tomato plant.
Next season, you could look for a "patio tomato" which will stay a reasonable size. Rutgers is an "indeterminant" tomato, which means it keeps growing. The PP gives good advice about pruning.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:09 AM

34,737 posts, read 56,545,451 times
I am going to move this to the gardening forum where it will get more answers. Jay

Old 07-20-2013, 05:01 PM

2 posts, read 5,695 times
That would be great thank you

Old 07-21-2013, 12:12 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,311,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Next season, you could look for a "patio tomato" which will stay a reasonable size. Rutgers is an "indeterminant" tomato, which means it keeps growing. The PP gives good advice about pruning.
Oy, I decided to try a patio tomato this year in addition to all the ones I have in the ground. I just thought it looked interesting.

I wouldn't bother with it again. The plant is very very stocky and way too compact, and the tomatoes are misshapen and taking forever to do anything. Mind you, I do know how to grow tomatoes; my dad was an old Italian who grew tomatoes for sauce every year, and I've been doing them all my life. This patio tomato is just a collosal waste of time.

Old 07-22-2013, 06:01 AM

33 posts, read 47,833 times
I read on You Tube where You can cut the top of the plant off then it will put all of it's energy into producing tomatoes.

Old 03-31-2014, 03:22 AM

2 posts, read 3,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frye5929 View Post

It has taken over almost my entire garden now and I don't know what to do, it has 5 or 6 tomatoes on it and I am hesitant to move any of my plants due to moving a few not long ago and they died and my cucumber plant is starting to grow a vine that is wrapping around the tomato plant.

What do I do????
Hey,
Don't worry about it. You can manage your entire garden effortlessly. Just place proper stake or wooden cages around the plants then you see the difference.

Old 04-01-2014, 01:18 PM

13,036 posts, read 17,954,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alice1234white View Post
Hey,
Don't worry about it. You can manage your entire garden effortlessly. Just place proper stake or wooden cages around the plants then you see the difference.

Hey there. Just an FYI as a newbie you would not know this. Take a peek in the upper left corner of the post and you will see a date when the original and then the latest post was made. Your response will bring an old post to the top so to speak, but the problem or original reason for the post is often done with months later.

Welcome to one of the bet sources of info I have found.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden