Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 09:51 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,044,778 times

Advertisements

I have no earthly idea what I have in my garden, but it is a winding weeding (or maybe ground covering) that has taken over my garden. It is choking my plants and has overtaken my whole garden. I've let it go too long and I have a huge job to get done. Is there anyways to prevent unwanted weeds~? I don't use chemicals, so is there another way to prevent them~? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 12:33 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,847,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
II don't use chemicals, so is there another way to prevent them~?
NO !

But ... you can do it without having it *all over*.

Buy a good Broad Leaf weed killer, the liquid kind.
Now put some in a plastic baggie.
Take that winding weed and without pulling it away from the plant stick it in the plastic baggie, and wrap a string around it.

The poison is absorbed by the leaves and thus kills *just the weed* !

Old 07-21-2013, 02:23 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,126,424 times
Can you post a photo of it?

Old 07-21-2013, 04:26 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,373,116 times
I will guess that what you have is bindweed and getting rid of it is a huge battle that I have not won yet.

I don't think that you can beat it without the use of chemicals unless you are able to dig, dig, dig, dig and then dig some more - probably every day throughout the growing season.

I think there are several threads here that offer some suggestions on how to deal with it.

Old 07-21-2013, 05:12 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,346,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
I have no earthly idea what I have in my garden, but it is a winding weeding (or maybe ground covering) that has taken over my garden. It is choking my plants and has overtaken my whole garden. I've let it go too long and I have a huge job to get done. Is there anyways to prevent unwanted weeds~? I don't use chemicals, so is there another way to prevent them~? Thanks.
Could be bindweed, but your description of how rampant it is sounds a bit like a parasitic plant called dodder. I know dodder is now being found in Michigan, and I hear it's new to Kansas, so chances are it's in your neck of the woods. It's awful.

Old 07-21-2013, 05:17 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,346,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
NO !

Take that winding weed and without pulling it away from the plant stick it in the plastic baggie, and wrap a string around it.

Good advice. I like the plastic bag idea. To the OP: no, you can't prevent the weed without some sort of chemical like Preen. Some say corn gluten meal is a good pre-emergent, but at best, it's only so-so. And I don't mean corn meal. Corn gluten meal.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:10 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,943,221 times
I have a variety of cardboard that I cut as needed to shield desirable plants so I can use roundup of weedy vines... it is very hard to get rid of and I have new outbreaks every year to deal with.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
NO !

Can't and won't use chemicals~! I have a dog and he'd get into it. I can't prevent my neighbors from using it, but they do along the fence line. Plus so many neighbors use a lawn company and I have to keep my dogs out of their yard in fear it will kill him like it did a neighbors dog, they think~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartygurl View Post
Can you post a photo of it?
When I get a chance, I will. I have to figure out how to post a photo here too. Never have before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
I will guess that what you have is bindweed and getting rid of it is a huge battle that I have not won yet.

I don't think that you can beat it without the use of chemicals unless you are able to dig, dig, dig, dig and then dig some more - probably every day throughout the growing season.

I think there are several threads here that offer some suggestions on how to deal with it.
I've been digging, but more-less pulling it out of the garden and going within the plants and pulling of which I end up pulling some of the good plants too~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
Could be bindweed, but your description of how rampant it is sounds a bit like a parasitic plant called dodder. I know dodder is now being found in Michigan, and I hear it's new to Kansas, so chances are it's in your neck of the woods. It's awful.
I have no idea what it is or if I have ever planted it. It's spread to my concrete nearby and is coming up rapidly like it is spreading~!

Old 07-21-2013, 11:00 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,082,704 times
Since bindweed is a perennial, Preen will not work on it. Perennial weeds are especially hard to kill, so you might first cut if off at the base. Then, if there is any re-growth either keep cutting it away until it starves the underground stem, or, wipe on a dab of round-up weed killer (don't touch any part of the neighbor plants), and wait a couple weeks. Repeat if needed. Bindweed has a flower that looks like morning glory.

Also, round-up will not poison your dog. It acts by stopping a biochemical reaction that does not occur in animals, only in plants.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Since bindweed is a perennial, Preen will not work on it. Perennial weeds are especially hard to kill, so you might first cut if off at the base. Then, if there is any re-growth either keep cutting it away until it starves the underground stem, or, wipe on a dab of round-up weed killer (don't touch any part of the neighbor plants), and wait a couple weeks. Repeat if needed. Bindweed has a flower that looks like morning glory.
It's not that easy as you say. I'm going to take some photos now and post them here shortly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden