Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2013, 09:44 PM

138 posts, read 379,140 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
gardening newbie and looking for some help. Planted a Russian pomegranate tree in my yard two weeks ago. According to my research, russian poms will be okay in my area (long island). It is planted in a spot that gets full sun at least 5 to 6 hrs a day. However, since the two weeks it's been planted in my yard, it has not grown at all, and leaves are turning yellow and falling. I have read about transplant shock and hopefully that is what my tree is going through now. If it really is just transplant shock, when should I start seeing signs of growth? many thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 12:19 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,733,082 times
The middle of summer is not the best time to plant things. Transplant shock is exacerbated by the intense sun and heat, that's why you should usually plant in the spring or fall.

Trees dropping leaves when transplanted is pretty normal though, and some trees like pomegranates drop leaves more readily than others. So, there's not necessarily anything wrong aside from it being planted at a bad time.

It could be getting too much water though. They don't like to be kept too wet, and a lot of people when they plant trees fill the hole with compost and overwater. Filling the hole with compost is not the best idea because water tends to pool in the compost/rootball area since it's light and loose compared to the hard native soil around it, creating a "bathtub effect." You should mix compost in with the native soil creating a more uniform medium for the roots to grow into with more consistent drainage.

Another concern with potted trees is that the roots also become highly tangled circling around a tiny pot. Before planting a potted tree you should inspect the root ball, and untangle the roots and do some pruning, if necessary, before planting or you can end up with a stunted root-bound tree.

Your tree should be fine though. I would just keep it mulched well (but not with the mulch touching the trunk) and don't let it dry out but don't over water either. Pomegranates are pretty tough trees, it should bounce back, though it's hard to say when.

Old 08-05-2013, 05:41 AM

138 posts, read 379,140 times
Thanks for the advice. After mulching and watering just once a week, I now some new growth! A very rewarding feeling!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden