U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2013, 12:51 PM

3,339 posts, read 7,184,932 times

Advertisements

I just got inside from an exhausting day of shearing back perennials for rebloom, pruning roses, removing rosette-infected roses...and found this sent to me by my brother. These people must really love the one job I dislike the most in the garden!

Flickr Search: Mosaïcultures
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 01:35 PM

36,434 posts, read 41,656,980 times
Fascinating but extremely labor intensive. Imagine the crew needed to keep a whole public garden looking neat with this kind of theme? One of two around a corner would be a nice surprise but I would never pay to visit a Topiary Garden. I like to see combinations of colors, textures, heights, etc in a real garden. Thanks Tina for sharing this site.

Old 07-28-2013, 02:11 PM

6,413 posts, read 8,859,324 times
My specialty is hedges, I get them nice and tight when I cut them. I have about 150 feet of hedges on my property and over all of the yards I maintain, I have about 1500 feet of hedges that I trim annually and seasonally. When I moved to my property in 2000, there was a 41 foot long dragon hedge already on the front corner of the lot. It defied county code and because of its lawsuit liability, I cut the bush down to 3 feet tall to comply. It took me 6 hours with old fashioned non powered hedge shears to get it to the right size. I was called the Dragonslayer by many of my neighbors who did not remember my name and am still called that and have a garden service by that name. Seven years ago we had stop signs installed at the corner and now I have been able to let a new dragonbush take shape. Last year I got it to the right height to start forming the face and humps on its back and this year started working more on the face. It used to have a frown and I turned it into a grin instead. I currently have at least 38 yards and am a one man crew and do about 17 yards each week at about 35 hours a week.
Attached Thumbnails
Topiary on Steroids-dragonhedge2000.jpg   Topiary on Steroids-dragonhedge2000cut.jpg   Topiary on Steroids-newdragonbush3.jpg   Topiary on Steroids-newdragonbush2.jpg  

Old 07-28-2013, 03:06 PM

OMG, Dragonslayer!! Wow, what talent!!

Old 07-28-2013, 04:25 PM

36,434 posts, read 41,656,980 times
Anybody ever hear of Pearl Fryer, The African American gentleman who has the most wonderful Topiary Garden in Bishopville, S.C.? I was lucky enough to visit his garden before he got so famous (I think 60 minutes or some show like that profiled him). Just a simple man with a great deal of talent and desire to please others and express himself. . I hope his health allows him to continue to do this extraordinary work.

Pearl Fryar's Topiary Garden - YouTube

He even had a documentary made about him and his garden.

http://www.docurama.com/docurama/a-m...rl-dvd-cd-set/

Old 07-28-2013, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
OMG, Dragonslayer!! Wow, what talent!!
One neighbor said she and her husband jokingly said that I can probably cut hair too and I replied that, Yes, I can cut hair too. I taught myself how to cut hair 25 years ago, I started doing hedges when I was 10 and I am 53 now. I got my first garden job when I was 8 and when I was 12 I had a four unit complex that I did the lawn and the landscape.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:21 AM

You could cut hair! You're Edward Scissorhands by the looks of it!

Old 07-29-2013, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
You could cut hair! You're Edward Scissorhands by the looks of it!
Thats what my neighbor called me, Edward Scissorhands. I have thick hair that grows at least 14 inches a year. I used to go to super cuts about every 5 weeks for a hair cut and started watching in the mirror on their technique with scissors and clippers. I prefer scissors and am pretty good at it. I use clippers on my hair when it is short and scissors on the ends when it is long, for the next few years I am growing it for locks of love. I have been doing my spouses hair for more than 20 years and now and then a few friends.

I have 40 plus/minus yards that I maintain and I keep the lawns and hedges nice and trim, right now I maintain about 7 acres over all and have about 1500 feet of hedges, maybe a bit more, some are small and some are taller than 20 feet and longer than 200 feet, one yard alone has over 500 feet of hedges and I do both sides.

Old 07-30-2013, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Thats what my neighbor called me, Edward Scissorhands. I have thick hair that grows at least 14 inches a year. I used to go to super cuts about every 5 weeks for a hair cut and started watching in the mirror on their technique with scissors and clippers. I prefer scissors and am pretty good at it. I use clippers on my hair when it is short and scissors on the ends when it is long, for the next few years I am growing it for locks of love. I have been doing my spouses hair for more than 20 years and now and then a few friends.

I have 40 plus/minus yards that I maintain and I keep the lawns and hedges nice and trim, right now I maintain about 7 acres over all and have about 1500 feet of hedges, maybe a bit more, some are small and some are taller than 20 feet and longer than 200 feet, one yard alone has over 500 feet of hedges and I do both sides.
Okay then, maybe you can recommend the best and most lightweight hedge trimmer. What I really need isn't so much for hedges and shrubs as it is for cutting back perennials, so I want something more light-duty. I am really tired of bending over for hours, shearing and shearing. If I could stand and do the job, that would be even better. We have hundreds and hundreds of groundcover sedums that are down blooming and we spent time last weekend string trimming them, but it looks a mess. I'd rather shear them.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:19 AM

43,012 posts, read 89,018,139 times
Tina, where is that topiary garden located?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden