Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 05:47 AM

24,392 posts, read 23,048,028 times

Advertisements

My mother's cousin had a weekend bungalow she leased out in Lancaster County. The neighbor amish kids would break in and watch her TV and help themselves to anything they wanted and I lost a spade I used to dig up earthworms for fishing to them. It was a nice place out in the country along a large slow moving creek.
An amish farmer had a barn there and a pig pen along with fields of corn and watermelon and cantelopes. He was kind of a jerk who wanted the land to use and when my cousins lease was up he bought it and tore down the bungalow cut down trees and put up another barn. A nice country oasis was gone.
When we'd have weekend picnics there we'd help ourselves to his fruit as payback for the theft and breakins. We'd take a watermelon or cantelope and give what was left to his pigs and watch them fight over it. A pig will eat even the rind. We'd also take ears of sweet corn and give his pigs a treat.
I "fertilized" his cornfield once so its not like we never gave anything back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 01:58 PM

7,974 posts, read 7,347,835 times
This didn't happen to ME, but a friend of mind who lives up the road had two women and several children strip his garden and load his vegetables in a wagon and leave - in broad daylight. Some neighbors saw this, called him at work, and asked him if he'd given permission for his garden to be picked. He was irate about it and called the cops. The cops got to them before they even got home with their wagon. They said they were told at the local food bank that it was a "community food bank garden" and food bank recipients were free to pick it (which was absolute BS). Most of what they took wasn't even ripe.

Luckily my gardens are way in the back of my property, well hidden from the road. The only way they'd have of getting to them would be across our driveway where we'd see them first thing, or across the vacant property next door. There are many ground hog holes there, and they'd likely break an ankle stepping in one, so it wouldn't be worth their trouble.

Old 08-08-2013, 02:02 PM

364 posts, read 559,970 times
A friend of mine had a problem while living in an on-campus apartment complex. He grew spices outside in pots, and they disappeared constantly. He preferred far spicier food than most Americans, and the area was mostly Asian, so I guess that explains that.

Old 08-08-2013, 02:05 PM

7,974 posts, read 7,347,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
When I lived in town a couple illegal women would bring their kids with bags and send them into my yard to steal apples off the trees when I wasn't home. The thing that really got me was the apples weren't near ripe. I caught my son with his paint ball gun aimed at them one evening and stopped him from firing just in time. I confronted them but they didn't speak any English. I got a neighbor to translate and told them to wait till the apples were ripe and come to the door and they could pick some but according to another neighbor they still came at night and took green apples.
I can't believe they didn't get a bellyache and the runs from eating those!!!!!

Old 08-08-2013, 04:12 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,420,846 times
just by my dog - he likes ripe cherry tomatoes andd english cucumbers

Old 08-08-2013, 04:45 PM

30 posts, read 137,340 times
Interesting stories! Question about birds eating fruit. Does anyone use bird nets and do they work?

Old 08-09-2013, 04:08 AM

45,336 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klutzy View Post
Interesting stories! Question about birds eating fruit. Does anyone use bird nets and do they work?
I have on my dwarf cherry. Does netting work? Yes. Is it a pain in the ass to put on and then take off? Doubly yes.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:55 AM

4 posts, read 7,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiazer123 View Post
Did you get the stuff back?
Didn' get anything back except one night the mysterious blue tote was returned. I had a description of the pick-up truck they used and the woman, but no license plate number.

Old 06-01-2021, 11:41 PM

66 posts, read 54,540 times
Neighbors kids kept harvesting strawberries from my raised beds (6ft fence was no deterrent) so I planted broccoli/cabbage instead. Zero problems .

Old 06-02-2021, 12:20 AM

36 posts, read 26,017 times
Every year the children of the neighbors eat everything they can reach, like locusts. On the one hand, it is annoying, but on the other hand, these are children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden