Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 10:03 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,176,537 times

Advertisements

Here Just North of Indianapolis, In Noblesville Indiana I noticed, Golden Euonymus(Marginally Hardy to area,Zone 6), Liriope Muscari Varigata grass(Marginal), and 3 different Varities of Crape Myrtles being sold!! The Cultivars of Crape Myrtle I saw were 'Seminole', 'Victor', and 'Centennial'; never thought people up here would have the nerve to sell Crape Myrtles in Central Indiana!!!However, I see they can attain large shrub size near Cincinnati,Ohio in a town called Lawrenceburg,Indiana, so apparently they survive just fine near the Ohio river in extreme southern Indiana. I know a man who touts crapes as being "root hardy" here in central Indiana, but I wonder just how far north are these Crape Myrtles considered to be "root hardy"? Down in Indianapolis, I noted the that they were selling Hardy Cultivars of the Southern Magnolia tree such as the 'Edith Bogue' and Eagle Creek Nursery was daring to sell the 'D.D. Blanchard' cultivar as well as the aforementioned 'Edith Bogue'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 05:30 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,542,496 times
Avocados and date palms.

Old 10-05-2013, 10:12 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,091,536 times
soursop(zone 11b)

Old 10-07-2013, 09:01 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,327,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
soursop(zone 11b)
Mmmmm Soursop! For anyone else who may miss the tropics, and is forced to live in a cold area, the native American Pawpaw tastes almost exactly like soursop. Plus the leaves are big and relatively "tropical" looking.

Our nurseries seem to be pretty responsible, and I haven't seen too many plants sold as hardy here. Normally they sell perennials from warmer zones as "annuals." For instance, begonia, elephant ears and cannas.

I did buy a parrots beak "on sale" from a local nursery. I was pissed. It was marked only as "perennial." Sadly, not in my zone. By the time I'd researched it, I'd already taken it out of the pot, divided it into several pieces and planted it. Now I try to take a list and resist buying unknown plants.

Old 10-08-2013, 02:52 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,485,402 times
Here in NW Ohio, zone 5b, I believe, a friend of mine grows banana plants. She has one that's taller than she is.

Old 10-10-2013, 08:18 AM

452 posts, read 706,399 times
KuKui (Candlenut) trees (also zone 11b) in 9b (naturalized now...finally)

Old 10-10-2013, 12:11 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,091,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Mmmmm Soursop! For anyone else who may miss the tropics, and is forced to live in a cold area, the native American Pawpaw tastes almost exactly like soursop. Plus the leaves are big and relatively "tropical" looking.

Our nurseries seem to be pretty responsible, and I haven't seen too many plants sold as hardy here. Normally they sell perennials from warmer zones as "annuals." For instance, begonia, elephant ears and cannas.

I did buy a parrots beak "on sale" from a local nursery. I was pissed. It was marked only as "perennial." Sadly, not in my zone. By the time I'd researched it, I'd already taken it out of the pot, divided it into several pieces and planted it. Now I try to take a list and resist buying unknown plants.
I wonder If I can buy some of that pawpaw to eat. I've never heard of it before but if it tastes like guanabana(soursop) I definitely want to try it .

Old 11-08-2013, 12:23 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,176,537 times
Fuzzymystic, I forgot to mention that people here in the Indianapolis area also have been successfully growing Banana plants for years(since about 2005 or thereabout) I believe the brand of Banana plant that your neighbor is growing is the same as what people are growing in Indianapolis, which is the Japanese Hardy Banana(Musa Basjoo), and just FYI, Northwest Ohio, most of it anyways, is Actually a Hardiness Zone 6a, under the Revised 2012 USDA Hardiness Zone map.

Old 11-08-2013, 01:02 AM

1,965 posts, read 3,288,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
Fuzzymystic, I forgot to mention that people here in the Indianapolis area also have been successfully growing Banana plants for years(since about 2005 or thereabout) I believe the brand of Banana plant that your neighbor is growing is the same as what people are growing in Indianapolis, which is the Japanese Hardy Banana(Musa Basjoo), and just FYI, Northwest Ohio, most of it anyways, is Actually a Hardiness Zone 6a, under the Revised 2012 USDA Hardiness Zone map.
You're right, these are grown as perennials in colder areas.

Regarding Edith Bogue, I wonder how the Edith Bogue fares farther up north during snowstorms. The long, sweeping limbs of the southern magnolia tend to get pretty weighted down when rare snowstorms come down south.

In NC, I attempted to grow a cold hardy variety of almond (hall's I think) twice and failed. It was sent bare-root and froze due to my negligence the first time. The second time the scion died and only the rootstock sent up some leaders. I also attempted a pomegranate which never yielded fruit. Here in L.A., I've seen people attempt to grow things that require greater chill hours with some limited success such as apples, lilies, and some varieties of peaches.

As any gardner knows, just because something doesn't grow in a particular area, doesn't stop the nursery from trying to sell it there!!!

Old 11-08-2013, 01:13 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,316,782 times
don't know if this exactly qualifies for inclusion in the discussion but I'm still very pleased and rather surprised that a variety of plants (oaks, pines, maples, magnolias) from relatively high elevations (4500'-7000' or more) in the humid/summer wet climate of the "cloud forests" of northern and central mexico ( roughly lat. 25 to 20 north) can do as well as they do in lowland coastal Oregon with a distinct summer dry period at lat. 43 north (a roughly 1300 miles distance between the their homeland and my garden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden