U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2013, 03:20 PM

36,435 posts, read 41,656,980 times

Advertisements

We've spent weeks (actually 4 years) researching deer fences online as well as seeing some in our community. We only have one shared property line with neighbors and they are kinda picky. So we will put something nice in the front -at the end of the driveway- and along this property line. For the other two sides we have plenty of trees to run heavy plastic netting from tree to tree. We could do this ourselves as long as we stay with 5-6 ft posts if needed. We could not do it ourselves if we have to use 7-8 ft posts but we certainly have enough trees for that to work. We also want to keep our two small dogs inside our property for 3 or 4 day potty trips when we can't walk them.

Also considering the double fence idea which is that two fences even as low as 4 or 5 feet but that same distance apart will keep them out as they won't jump into small spaces. Has anybody here done the double fence idea? Our calculations show that most of the cost is labor and not so much materials and if we do it ourselves and/or get a neighborhood teen to help we could get the job done over a few weekends and for less money.

Also read about only 1 electrified wire working which of course doesn't have to be really high. We might do a combination of several methods. I'm interested in what has worked for others. Our lot is so wooded that the little aholes would not have any room to get a running start to jump over anything more than 5-6ft high.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 03:49 PM

341 posts, read 386,378 times
Is a wooden fence optional for you? Deer will not jump a solid fence unless they know what's on the other side, so a wooden fence built 6-7 high would be sufficient in addressing the problem, and it would save you the effort/cost (and space) of a double fence.

Old 08-13-2013, 04:03 PM

13,175 posts, read 10,585,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavadora View Post
Is a wooden fence optional for you? Deer will not jump a solid fence unless they know what's on the other side, so a wooden fence built 6-7 high would be sufficient in addressing the problem, and it would save you the effort/cost (and space) of a double fence.
I have seen healthy deer jump ten foot fences. But, yes, 6-7 foot should be sufficient. Just don't plant their favorite food right next to the fence. They are known to pull plants right through the fence - like raspberries or tomatoes.

I do have one ten foot circle, with only a four foot high fence, and it is effective - like the OP said; they don't like to jump into confined spaces. The ten foot circle has roses and rhododendron that they love to eat.

Old 08-13-2013, 04:06 PM

We picked this lot because it is so wooded and pretty and I really don't want anything solid to block the view. We also have a bunch of coyote and i don't like not knowing what might be on the other side of that solid fence. Thank you for your suggestions.

Old 08-13-2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
We picked this lot because it is so wooded and pretty and I really don't want anything solid to block the view. We also have a bunch of coyote and i don't like not knowing what might be on the other side of that solid fence. Thank you for your suggestions.
Yesterday my wife made this one partial circle of four foot high fencing to keep the deer from standing up on their hind legs and grabbing pears - as you can see; it did not work!

Old 08-13-2013, 04:42 PM

What a lovely picture. Deer are pests in our area, too.

It would cost a fair shake more to do, but how about something more industrial in design, such as a chain-link fence, where fencing is higher and stronger and secured to sturdy poles?

That way you wouldn't have to compromise the country view you enjoy.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavadora View Post
What a lovely picture. Deer are pests in our area, too.

It would cost a fair shake more to do, but how about something more industrial in design, such as a chain-link fence, where fencing is higher and stronger and secured to sturdy poles?

That way you wouldn't have to compromise the country view you enjoy.
Thank you! But we have almost given up. If it isn't the deer; it's the squirrels, crows, raccoons or woodchucks. I have been trying to get a picture of a woodchuck up the tree - they do climb fruit trees. My wife wrapped the fence from Japanese Andromeda to Japanese Andromeda - but did not put fencing in between the two shrubs. The deer watch everything we do and wait for a mistake. Humans only work on one of these problems for a short time - deer work at it 24/7.

I did catch up with one visitor today and he promised to give up apples!

Old 08-13-2013, 07:34 PM

6,474 posts, read 13,416,443 times
Hmm. I am a fencing ho. I love that horizontal "modern" fencing, even in a rural setting, but I also love the new-fangled fences a lot of gardeners are using around their veggie gardens. I priced some for my vegetable patch, and it seemed to be pretty reasonable. It is 6 foot tall (or taller...permits may be involved) posts, wood on top and bottom, and maybe the middle, and then chicken wire, or some sort of mesh in between.

When I was planning my fencing, I took pictures of the yard, then I drew different types of fences on the pictures, so I could visualize what they'd look like. You could try doing that. I also checked out pinterest for ideas.

You can make it look chic with a simple design and gates, plus you'll still be able to have your view. I think maybe a very big "lattice" or x design might look nice.
From Dirt Simple (Love this blog):
Fence | Dirt Simple

Another example in an ornamental landscape:
Garden Fence Ideas (6) : Home & Landscape Design

Wooden lattice...looks expensive:

Old 08-13-2013, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fisheye
If it isn't the deer; it's the squirrels, crows, raccoons or woodchucks.
Don't give up whatever you do... stay strong and keep them all thinking. So destructive those woodchucks are, but so cute, too. Love the picture.

Quote:
Originally posted by kinkytoes
Wooden lattice...looks expensive:
That lattice fence is stunning.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:12 PM

Chainlink is prohibited by HOA even though it couldn't be seen from the street but I don't think there is tall enough chain link anyway. Yes there are some beautiful fence designs available. I'm just wondering if anybody has had success with double fence concept.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or