Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 01:29 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,761,684 times

Advertisements

Here in Alaska and probably in other northern latitudes, autumn is quickly approaching. Trees and bushes have begun to change colors and my thoughts go to harvesting my garden and what the forest provide.

This is a joint/communal thread where I hope that Members will share their tips and information on how you harvest and freeze your summer bounty. Please Share!

I will make the first contribution.

I grew broccoli in my garden this year. To my delight, I discovered that the broccoli leaves taste very similar to collard greens (they are in the same Family). I have enjoyed the bounty of these leaves throughout the summer. Now that autumn approaches and shortly to be followed by the white stuff, I will need to harvest my vegetables before or after the first couple of hard frosts.

Below are a couple of videos on how to freeze collards (or broccoli leaves) using slightly different techniques. I will integrate both techniques when I freeze my broccoli leaves. I look forward to enjoying these incredibly healthy and tasty leaves throughout the winter.

Freezing Collards Greens - YouTube

putting up collard greens - YouTube

Last edited by Naturen; 08-22-2013 at 01:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 01:34 PM

83,511 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Awesome thread as I asked the question about preserving in my Veggie thread. I'm curious what everyone else does. Will check out the video when I get back.

Ironically I just pulled up all my Collard Greens. (we don't use them much) but want to know how to keep peppers and String beans lasting through winter. Is it just a matter of "freezing" them?

Fall is coming here too.

Old 08-22-2013, 01:52 PM

In the past, I grew sugar peas but ate them all up.

Some suggestions for green beans:

Without blanching, sounds like a winner to me:
How To Freeze Green Beans Without Blanching - An Oregon Cottage

With blanching:

How to Freeze Green Beans - YouTube

Old 08-22-2013, 02:14 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
I wash and dry off all berries and then place them on a cookie sheet single layer to freeze them individually. Then I put them in a freezer bag or container. This makes it easy to portion out just a few for pancakes or milkshakes or a bunch for a recipe.

Old 08-22-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I wash and dry off all berries and then place them on a cookie sheet single layer to freeze them individually. Then I put them in a freezer bag or container. This makes it easy to portion out just a few for pancakes or milkshakes or a bunch for a recipe.
I have used that method with blueberries and cloud berries and it worked great.

I plan on harvesting high bush cranberries and rosehips - do you have any experience with these?

Old 08-22-2013, 06:09 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
No sorry but why wouldn't it work too? I freeze almost everything on cookie sheets first so they separate easily: broccoli, peas, carrots,butterbeans, etc. I get so frustrated with a big ole mess of something frozen when I don't want to use it all at once.

I buy stew meat and chicken breast on sale and cut it up and then freeze separately, then in bags or containers and it works just fine.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:19 AM

1,378 posts, read 3,211,877 times
I have started freezing tomatoes. I have SO many. My neighbor said that she just puts some in a ziplock and freezes them. When you want to use...defrost in micro and the skins slip off easily. Use as you would canned tomatoes. Of course, I haven't tried them yet. Still so many fresh ones.
I did look it up online and others do the same.
Anyone try it??

Old 08-23-2013, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
No sorry but why wouldn't it work too? I freeze almost everything on cookie sheets first so they separate easily: broccoli, peas, carrots,butterbeans, etc. I get so frustrated with a big ole mess of something frozen when I don't want to use it all at once.

I buy stew meat and chicken breast on sale and cut it up and then freeze separately, then in bags or containers and it works just fine.
Did you blanch your vegetables first before placing them on the cookie sheets for freezing?

I have always blanched these vegetables so if there is another way that works and cuts down on the time, please share.

Thanks!

Old 08-23-2013, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadylady View Post
I have started freezing tomatoes. I have SO many. My neighbor said that she just puts some in a ziplock and freezes them. When you want to use...defrost in micro and the skins slip off easily. Use as you would canned tomatoes. Of course, I haven't tried them yet. Still so many fresh ones.
I did look it up online and others do the same.
Anyone try it??
Lucky you to have such a bounty! I did not grow any tomatoes this year but it sounds reasonable to just freeze them.

Do you cut them in quarters, remove the seeds, etc.? Please share!

Thank you!

Old 08-23-2013, 04:37 PM

Default Freezing Fresh Parsley

My garden produced more parsley than I can possibly use before the first hard frost. The weather forecast is predicting overnight temperatures in the 30s this weekend.

Looking forward to great parsley this winter by freezing it using this method:

How to Freeze Fresh Parsley - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden