Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 08:42 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,947,168 times

Advertisements

I don't know, I think it looks kind of tacky, myself. I dislike painted stone; the natural color looks so much nicer, IMO. The best way it might work is at the end of a driveway in an area where there are no street lights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 08:51 AM

16,073 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I read once where they're going to start using glow paint for highway markings.
Glow in the dark or reflective? Glow in the dark would seem kind of pointless since most of it stops glowing after a few hours.
I agree that I like the look of natural rock so probably wouldn't like this. Although if it were something that would wash off in the rain it could be a fun thing to do for an evening party, glowing paths and twinkle lights in the trees.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:57 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
In the picture it looks almost clear which I guess would be impossible but what do I know. I would not like to compromise the look of natural stone but if it could be incorporated into a sealer or something like that it would be fine.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:28 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,353,821 times
I like it! Rust Oleum is coming out with some really interesting products lately. I love their hammered-metal finish spray paints. I reclaimed a very ugly rusted green propane tank cover with a hammered bronze finish, and it's really beautiful now. I can see a number of uses for this.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:34 AM

222 posts, read 470,932 times
Default This is not glow in the dark paint or any paint at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Boy- I just may have to try this.

I have seen this before and the photographer explains how he did it;

David Tejada's stone garden pathway is a shot that makes you look twice -- and then again, and again, and again. Here he explains how he captured this intriguing effect with the light.

Painting with Light

David Tejada: This is in my backyard. I thought, "I think I'd like to try some light painting. It seems like a fun thing to do."

This was shot with the D70 and I have a 20 mm lens on it. It's a vertical shot obviously. I'm kind of pointing down with it, looking down on the stepping stones, walking through my backyard out to this field in the backyard. The sun had set, maybe 30 minutes prior to taking this, so it was quite dark out.

I stopped down my lens to about F22 or as far as it would go. Then I opened the shutter. I placed it on bulb so I opened the shutter and walked out into the scene with a one million powered candle flashlight and I lit every one of those stones as I walked along the left-hand edge of the path. I would just go boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom hitting every one of those stepping stones.

Then when I got up to the fence, I'm continually moving. I would pass my light off to the left-hand side along the boards, went on the right, did a little circle around each of the flowerpots and then painted the door of the gate as I was going out to the field, turned off the flashlight, walked back to the camera, and closed the shutter.

P#42: Light Paints a Stone Garden Pathway - 7 Photography Questions

Old 08-25-2013, 11:07 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
Thanks for more info. The photo talk goes right over my head but it's a neat concept.

Old 08-25-2013, 11:22 AM

222 posts, read 470,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Thanks for more info. The photo talk goes right over my head but it's a neat concept.
This short video explains it visually.

Tamron How-To: Paint with Light - YouTube

Old 08-25-2013, 11:58 AM

8,016 posts, read 5,859,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I read once where they're going to start using glow paint for highway markings.
They should.....that would certainly help some of the drivers I've been around recently!

Old 08-25-2013, 02:34 PM

21 posts, read 35,059 times
If it is fun and you are not going to upset your kind neighbors, then go for it. If they are not kind, go for it.

Old 08-25-2013, 04:47 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,992,335 times
I love it. At first, I thought it was going to be that neon pink and yellow paint...you know, all Cyndi Lauper ghetto! I actually would do that in my backyard patio. Thanks for posting this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden