Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 02:18 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,803,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
I have 2 persimmon, 4 mango, 1 starfruit, 6 goji berry, 2 citrus, 2 guava, 2 Barbados cherry, and I pomergrant. all of these are in containers. I am in texas zone 8. you can go well with fig ( not really rare) maybe the Barbados cherry. those are superfruits. 1 small cherry = 15 oranges in vitamin C. but I think they are more tropical and might freeze at 40 degrees. unless you get them indoors during cold spells

I think the persimmons, goji berries, and pomegranate can go in the ground. They can take the cold of San Antonio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 09:47 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,734,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I think the persimmons, goji berries, and pomegranate can go in the ground. They can take the cold of San Antonio.
Persimmons and pomegranates do well outside in Austin which is basically the same climate. Satsumas and Kumquats will also do well.

I have a couple small olive trees that are doing well but not yet ready to produce fruit.

Pawpaws do well in Louisiana so should hold up in the southeast.

If only I could grow durians and mangosteen! Maybe if I move to Hawaii?

Old 06-02-2015, 08:08 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,395,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
I planted 2 Asian pears last year. One I bought from a local nursery called the Shinseki. The other I had to buy online called the Olympic, a.k.a. the Korean Giant. I learned that I had to "train" the pear branches by bending them, otherwise they grow straight up. No fruits yet though.
Thanks HB2HSV! You are a fountain of knowledge. My pear trees DO grow straight up, which is nice to know if I ever want to plant a fastigiate-type fruit tree...but not so great for reaching the pears.

I got one of those things you use to pick up trash to pick them...but HEY TRAINING! I'll try that. Let me know if you have any tips on how to go about it.

Old 06-02-2015, 11:20 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,955,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Thanks HB2HSV! You are a fountain of knowledge. My pear trees DO grow straight up, which is nice to know if I ever want to plant a fastigiate-type fruit tree...but not so great for reaching the pears.

I got one of those things you use to pick up trash to pick them...but HEY TRAINING! I'll try that. Let me know if you have any tips on how to go about it.

WOW, a 2 year old thread

A bit of progress report on my asian pear trees. The Olympic has produced lots of pears last year and the Shinseiki is just starting to produce this year. I think it may have to do with the size of hole I dug when I planted them. For the Olympic I dug a 6 foot diameter hole but for the Shinseiki I only dug a 3 foot diameter (I was tired and it was getting dark ). I think I will need to expand it this year for several of my fruit trees.

So "training" the fastigiate-type fruit tree (good word. I had to look it up ). The easiest way I've found for me is, when the branch is still young and easily bendable, I'd loop a string around the branch and weigh it down with a brick at the bottom so the branch spread out around a 45 degree angle. I'd leave it there for several months until the branch hardens, then repeat with other branches.

The other part is about prunning. Basically, the fruits do me no good if I can not reach them. It will be donated to the birds. Also, I'd want to be able physically get in close to the center of tree to pick my fruits without being blocked by lots of branches. There is also a tree-health benefit to prunning as well.

Here a good video on pear tree prunning. He looks a little weird but I actually learn a lot from this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTPvrlTeD3E

I hope you are getting your fruits by now !

Old 06-02-2015, 03:34 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,246,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Don't you wish I knew? I got them at a big box store, and I don't recall the variety. It was before I wised up and started keeping my plant tags.
if it's from a local big box store, its likely the orient pear which is not exactly the same as an oriental pear. Orient pear (pyrus communis) is a cross between an oriental pear and a common pear

Buy affordable Orient Pear trees at our online nursery

I made a mistake and purchased one of these at the local big box store, but where I live just about everything will succumb to fire blight.

These are said to be very fruitful so you don't need to cross pollinate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden