Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2013, 07:07 AM

2 posts, read 4,196 times

Advertisements

I have an invasion of digger wasps in my back yard! They are all over! How do I get rid of them??
It is very hard to find their nest as there are holes all over the yard. I also have dogs and need a safe way to get rid of these pests. Thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails
Digger Wasp Help Please!!-pic2.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 07:15 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,351,151 times
I had to look up digger wasps to see what they were. Cicada killer wasps, those gigantic and menacing looking buggers that make their nests underground and appear this time every year.

Believe it or not, they are harmless to people. We field this question on the Master Gardener hotline every summer. Their stingers are too blunt to sting us or our animals. All they do is kill cicadas. So if you decide not to remove the nest (my recommendation), you don't need to worry. I figure if they don't harm us or our pests and don't destroy our gardens, let them be. We have a news in a bed outside our front door, and it can be annoying, but I'm not removing it.

Cicada Killer Wasp and Other Digger Wasps | Iowa Insect Information Notes

Old 08-28-2013, 08:31 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Must be a different variety than the diggers we had in CA. We had many people getting stung while sitting watching their kids' soccer games. I had someone go buy a dozen cans of spray, and 3 of us got armed with shovels. While we dug several others sprayed, and that nest turned out to be 3' x 4' and 18" deep. Even without the stinging it could have been a hazard if it caved in.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:20 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,951,486 times
I have never really had an issue with the giant cicada killer wasps, they are just scary, but have had severe problems with small ground hornets that nest (around here) in old mole tunnels. I wait until activity is low (sun down) and pour kerosene into the nest to burn them out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden