Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2013, 08:49 AM

1,531 posts, read 2,419,220 times

Advertisements

I have a water filter that uses salt. Somehow it ends up draining into the sump pump well and then is discharged out to my lawn along with the rain water coming from the leaders and gutters. Seems when the salty water hits the grass it kills it and I have a "death zone" on my lawn. Any ideas on that would grow facing that salty enviroment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 10:29 AM

2,063 posts, read 7,783,567 times
It would be easier to make suggestions knowing where you live (USDA zone) and the type of soil you have as well as what grass you have.

It sounds like you have a softener that uses sodium chloride. Often the recommendation is to switch to a potassium chloride system. If you have the sodium system you can pick from lists of salt resistant plants and grasses for your area and hope the can handle the salinity. Sometimes using extra unsoftened water in addition to what is coming through the rain sources may be enough to moderate the toxic effect on the plant roots.

Here are a few places you can start with to find your answers.

MRWPCA Water Softener Salt Reduction Information

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/files/librar...t%20Plants.pdf

Salinity Management Guide: Choose salt-tolerant plants

Old 08-28-2013, 12:07 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,352,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caco54 View Post
I have a water filter that uses salt. Somehow it ends up draining into the sump pump well and then is discharged out to my lawn along with the rain water coming from the leaders and gutters. Seems when the salty water hits the grass it kills it and I have a "death zone" on my lawn. Any ideas on that would grow facing that salty enviroment?

You have a water softener or water filtration system that sends the brine onto your property rather than into a municipal sewer system? It drains into the sump pit somehow? You need to figure out how all that works. That is an extremely important thing to know when you own property.

Get rid of the softener or filter system. Get rid of the source of the salt. Seriously, it is a completely unworkable situation. That is way too much salt for you to ever deal with effectively. We are on septic and looked into getting a softener for hot water. The plumber said it would be fine. I called our county environmental department and got a completely (and more accurate) take. There is SO much salt and it absolutely kills every type of vegetation. You will have a dead zone that just grows and grows. The setup you have now could even disqualify you from passing a home/property inspection or finding a buyer if you were to try to sell your house.

Our county environmental manager told me we could direct the brine into our septic field, because technically it isn't illegal. But he also said we would have to redirect it somewhere else when we decided to sell the house.

Nothing will grow in that dead zone, and it will only get worse the longer you keep allowing salty water to dump there.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:11 PM

222 posts, read 470,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caco54 View Post
I know this is a lot of questions, but to better help you they are necessary.

Are you sure this is the scenario? How large is your sump pump well? Does the water softener regeneration discharge water, typically 40-70 gallons, run directly into the sump pump well? Do you know about how often it regenerates? How much salt are you using?

Usual discharge water salinity concentration varies from 0-7,000 ppm at the very upper range, for brief periods, during regeneration. Are you on septic? It could be that your percolation field is near your dead spot if your softener discharge water runs directly into your system.

As if that wasn't enough, sometimes water softeners are incorrectly connected to the entire water supply instead of just the inside hot water. Is your 'death zone' in just one area or is the entire lawn affected? Is the rest of the lawn healthy or are their yellow tips on the grass blades?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden