U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 12:54 PM

2,429 posts, read 3,058,661 times

Advertisements

For me: fritillaria and allium.

I think I'm going to give FRITIALLARIA another try. I tried once, a couple of years ago. None came up. I think they rotted from overwatering. I had them in pots in the garage through winter. Come spring NOTHING!
I'm looking for the imperialis tall varieties, which I don't think most stores carry. But I have a couple of nurseries I go to. So MAYBE they'll have them. I've never seem them, but I've never look too hard for THOSE in particular.

I had success with some ALLIUM bulbs last year. I'm going for more this time, even taller ones. I wasn't particular about WHICH ones I bought before, this time I'll know WHICH I want. So I have to see if the nurseries have those in particular.

The more I learn -- from just googling various sites, the more I know about WHICH things might be worth trying. I've gone back and looked at a thread on where to buy bulbs. I may order from one of the places recommended here.

The only thing is that specialty bulbs aren't the least expensive. I wish they were cheaper but I'll buy anyway. And I only buy 5 or six -- so not in volume. Trying my hand at growing a few things is a hobby so the cost is part of my "entertainment" budget. Last year I bought some amaryllis bulbs for 15.00 A PIECE! (That was at a high end nursery, so due to their markup I'm sure)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 01:19 PM

3,442 posts, read 5,435,885 times
I'm going to order some from Dutch bulb's catelog. There are some very nice looking iris. The ones I already have and have had for 5 years or so, are the plain purple and I also have a large peach one that is fragrant. The ones I plan to order have 2 colors which I thought was unusual. I think this outfit is in IN or IL.

Old 09-07-2013, 02:58 PM

3,339 posts, read 7,189,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
For me: fritillaria and allium.

I think I'm going to give FRITIALLARIA another try. I tried once, a couple of years ago. None came up. I think they rotted from overwatering. I had them in pots in the garage through winter. Come spring NOTHING!
I'm looking for the imperialis tall varieties, which I don't think most stores carry. But I have a couple of nurseries I go to. So MAYBE they'll have them. I've never seem them, but I've never look too hard for THOSE in particular.
Good luck! I never had success with them. I paid a small fortune for a dozen, two came up, one flowered and didn't come back the following year. They were the 'Imperialis" ones. Never again. That was such an expensive mistake. And worst of all, my husband thought the flower looked "creepy".

Old 09-07-2013, 07:36 PM

6,474 posts, read 13,422,991 times
I'm not sure. So far these are winning:
Crocus - Def no gold ones. Maybe king of the striped and some giant purple ones.
Tulips - leaning toward kaufmaniana
Daffodils - Some naturalizers, but trying for paler yellow or some unusual forms.

Old 09-08-2013, 09:15 AM

TineMcG,
One website I went to said the fritilalria bulbs do NOT keep well. and recomomended not getting them until you're ready to plant. The bulbs I bought before were from a local nursery. And might have been in my garage a month before I even planted them. I'm hoping that ordering them online they'll be "fresher" because at least one middleman will be eliminated (I'm thinking so, anyway). So yeah I'm willing to give them another shot. I'll likely order three bulbs of two varieties, or maybe 2 each of three kinds to see if I have better luck with one variety than another.

Same with the allium which I'm expecting good things from, since the allium I picked up before just from a local nursery were great.

I tired delphinium and foxglove both -- in plants and seed -- THREE times before I just gave up. So I am willing to give a plant a few chances.

Old 09-08-2013, 04:34 PM

3,674 posts, read 5,857,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
I'm going to order some from Dutch bulb's catelog. There are some very nice looking iris. The ones I already have and have had for 5 years or so, are the plain purple and I also have a large peach one that is fragrant. The ones I plan to order have 2 colors which I thought was unusual. I think this outfit is in IN or IL.
Can you give the company name?

Old 09-08-2013, 08:34 PM

2,063 posts, read 6,248,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
Can you give the company name?
Not all mail-order companies are alike when it comes to plants and bulbs. If you are referring to the company that uses dutch bulb as dot com name rather than a description of the source of the bulbs you may want to read up on many problems others have had with them. For many years I used the company when they were based on LI in NY and called Van Bourgondien. Twenty years ago I would have recommended them since I ordered there almost every year. They are no longer family owned and there have been many problems. One of the best places to actually see the reviews so you can tell apart grudges from truly bad products and service is Dave's Garden. Here's the page for the company: The scoop on 'Van Bourgondien Dutch Bulbs (dutchbulbs.com)' If you follow the links to the company it is owned by you'll see a whole list of names in catalogs and all of them have far more negative reviews that positive. Take what you want from this but keep it in mind when picking where you order from.

If you are new to buying products for the garden on line whether bulbs, plants or seeds you can always check their Watchdog rating from the previous year. They are based on the results from the reviews. It is not a guarantee but it might make it easier to start on the right foot.

Announcing the Garden Watchdog Top 5 Awards!

Fritallaria will have conflicting advice in how to grow them that makes it hard on people to be sure they are doing it right. I don't have any right now. From what I remember before the supposedly deer proof flowers became deer food they do best in places that don't get wet very much in winter. If you have soil that tends to be soggy all winter or in between cold spells it may cause it to rot quickly. They like moisture but only when it drains away rapidly, too. On the other hand they are not happy being completely dried out which is probably why they didn't like sitting in a cold garage in dry pots.

Allium are a lot of fun when they pop up between other plants and they gradually multiply. Good luck with the new bulbs for all of you. I went overboard the last few years and have enough Darwin and species tulips, a dozen different kinds of daffodils, Chionodoxa, snowdrops, dutch iris, siberian iris and 3 (or 4?) different alliums, and I'm sure a few more if I really start thinking about it. I think I'll be saving my pennies for some bulbs to plant in the spring now.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:32 PM

7,025 posts, read 10,333,679 times
So, people actually order bulbs on-line, all the time? I did that once, but the prices were ridiculous.

I live in the small State of Delaware, and we have Amish markets, Festivals, FFA Clubs, 4-H Clubs, U.S.D.A. Rural Development, Master Gardener Clubs and Cooperative Extension. Our local farm markets rent out tables to gardeners and farmers where they sell their prize winning bulbs, tubers, and plants. Gardeners bring their awards, ribbons, and photos with them, to document what they are selling. Master Gardeners also trade their bulbs/tubers for others. One week there could be an iris trade, the next a caladium trade. The roots/bulbs/tubers they sell are very reasonable, and as I said in another thread, there are sales where tulip bulbs go for 10 cents each sometimes. Everything I've bought over the years from these markets has bloomed profusely and they've grown to be absolutely gorgeous plants. And then, we all know one another, which makes for great camaraderie.

Does anybody have anything like this in your state? We are an agricultural state so perhaps that's why gardeners/farmers I know don't order on-line.

Last edited by rdlr; 09-08-2013 at 11:19 PM..

Old 09-09-2013, 02:08 AM

Wow, J&Em, thanks for your expertise -- but you're not giving much confidence in the frutillaria. I don't mind giving plants 2nd and 3rd chances, but I like to think I at least have a shot at success. Thus my THREE shots at delphinium I've never been one for 'finicky' growers -- strictly easy care. But I think the fritillaria are so gorgeous. AND of course I'd like the neighborhood attention of having something no one else has (How shallow) I'm still undecided. I'm ordering in a week so I've got that much time to make up my mind.

I'm a newbie, novice member of the Pennsylvania Horticultural Society and found a bulb seller in its GreenScene magazine, I'll be ordering from for the first time -- IF local brick and mortar places don't have what I want. It's been my limited experience most nurseries don't have the most exciting and rare stuff. They seem to carry the same things I've seen before...and only a few exciting rare standouts they may vary or think may sell each season.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:17 PM

2,063 posts, read 6,248,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
So, people actually order bulbs on-line, all the time? I did that once, but the prices were ridiculous.

I live in the small State of Delaware, and we have Amish markets, Festivals, FFA Clubs, 4-H Clubs, U.S.D.A. Rural Development, Master Gardener Clubs and Cooperative Extension.......

Does anybody have anything like this in your state? We are an agricultural state so perhaps that's why gardeners/farmers I know don't order on-line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
Wow, J&Em, thanks for your expertise -- but you're not giving much confidence in the frutillaria. I don't mind giving plants 2nd and 3rd chances, but I like to think I at least have a shot at success. Thus my THREE shots at delphinium I've never been one for 'finicky' growers -- strictly easy care. But I think the fritillaria are so gorgeous. AND of course I'd like the neighborhood attention of having something no one else has (How shallow) I'm still undecided. I'm ordering in a week so I've got that much time to make up my mind.

I'm a newbie, novice member of the Pennsylvania Horticultural Society and found a bulb seller in its GreenScene magazine, I'll be ordering from for the first time -- IF local brick and mortar places don't have what I want. It's been my limited experience most nurseries don't have the most exciting and rare stuff. They seem to carry the same things I've seen before...and only a few exciting rare standouts they may vary or think may sell each season.
I didn't mean to rain on your parade. Some plants just don't mix with their owners very well and some grow like weeds.

If I can buy locally, trade with another gardener or catch a garden sale I prefer it to ordering from elsewhere. Sometimes if you want something unusual or hard to come by in your region the only choice you have is to order it on line or through a mail order catalog.

In red above your reference to Master Gardener "clubs." I am a Master Gardener and there are plenty of them in every state and we are part of the Cooperative Extension program from state universities. They are not a club and many members of the association would not be pleased to be labeled a garden "club" since it takes quite a bit of time and classes to become one, requires many hours of volunteer work and continuing education to remain one. Different states might have different requirements but all do require some knowledge and a lot of time and willingness to become expert in at least some aspects of gardening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden