U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 03:27 AM

33 posts, read 47,880 times

Advertisements

its september now. is it too late to grow these? i mean still a while before last frost. and i can move plants to indoor if need be. i'm thinking about growing these for myself and my cat.

anyone have experience with catnip? does the plant wither over winter but come back to life in spring? do you need to do anything to perserve it over winter like watering or something?

i'm kinda new to planting...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2013, 04:07 AM

8 posts, read 9,113 times
Catnip is easy to grow indoors as long as there is enough light. You must have a sunny window for this. I think it's not too late to grow them this September. Once you have a few of them growing outside, you can let them wither and die during frost. They will come back with a sweet vengeance during the warmer months.

You can also bring them inside your house near a window where there is enough light or at least maintain a 60 to 70 degree temperature. Cover them to keep them warmer.

Old 09-17-2013, 10:16 PM

mm..does each seed represent one individual plant? so even for backup, 3 seeds in one pot is plenty to reach germination phase, no?

how many seeds in a pot when starting out?

Old 09-18-2013, 12:29 PM

5,048 posts, read 8,402,431 times
My neighbor grows her catnip indoors. And some kind of grass as well. In her sunroom. She got the makings for it at Petsmart. But they sell it with a large container. So large the fit her cats who pawed around on it and she was afraid they would use is as a bathroom. So she went to smaller containers. With indoor growing, you have to be aware of whether your cat is just going to town on that catnip too.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
My neighbor grows her catnip indoors. And some kind of grass as well. In her sunroom. She got the makings for it at Petsmart. But they sell it with a large container. So large the fit her cats who pawed around on it and she was afraid they would use is as a bathroom. So she went to smaller containers. With indoor growing, you have to be aware of whether your cat is just going to town on that catnip too.

you can fence the pot ya know. that how you keep the bad guys out.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:20 AM

5,048 posts, read 8,402,431 times
Yes, it's cute. They have brought their outdoor yard fencing idea indoors in miniature. A miniature house might follow.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
Yes, it's cute. They have brought their outdoor yard fencing idea indoors in miniature. A miniature house might follow.
if a simple idea work, it works. no sense being rigid on a concept that fails. people that don't like to adapt, too bad for them.

Old 09-24-2013, 04:48 AM

anybody had experience growing eggplants here?

Old 09-27-2013, 01:47 AM

95 posts, read 154,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsomeanswers View Post
anybody had experience growing eggplants here?
What do you need to know about eggplants?

Old 09-27-2013, 10:07 AM

5,075 posts, read 9,825,308 times
Are you in an area where growing grass is legal? If not, you should probably keep it indoors and away from windows even it if is 'just for yourself'.

As for the catnip, it's best to plant it in a pot to begin with and keep it out of reach from the cat until it's large enough that him munching on it won't destroy the entire plant. This can be difficult because some cats will eat a little bit and others will go on a sweaty depraved binge until every last leaf is chewed down to the stem. In the latter case, keeping it out of reach is the only option. Realize if you do plant it outside neighbor cats will find your stash. In some climates (you didn't mention location) the stuff grows like a weed. After a few years you'll have it sprouting everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden