Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2013, 01:46 PM

6,870 posts, read 7,812,978 times

Advertisements

We've had a tree taken down leaving a new sunny spot in the yard. I want to put some dwarf blueberries there.

Went to Lowe's...they had three varieties of blueberry bush. One was a dwarf variety:Sunshine Blue The tag says it must be Cross-pollinated with another variety to produce quality fruit.

I interpreted that to mean I could not buy another Sunshine Blue. There was a list of varieties on the tag that are recommended. The other two varieties that Lowe's had were not on the list, which was okay because they were not dwarves and already really lanky. BUT Sunshine Blue IS on the list.

So can I buy 3-4 Sunshine blues and get berries? Or keep looking for another dwarf on the list?

Home depot had no blueberries at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 04:54 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,374,897 times
You will need to buy another variety in order for the bushes to produce fruit.

For example, I have Tifblue and Powderblue varieties, which are recommended for my area. Suggest you go to a reputable local nursery to buy plants - they'll know what produces well in your area.

Here's a link to the Alabama Extension, listing varieties which grow in different areas of Alabama:

ACES Publications : FRUIT CULTURE IN AL: SELECTING ADAPTED VARIETIES : ANR-0053-F

Old 09-19-2013, 06:29 PM

4,482 posts, read 9,242,769 times
If you're in the Raleigh area, here's information for that region: http://www.smallfruits.org/CoAgentTr...WOPENHOUSE.pdf

When we were in the foothills in NC we grew Powderblue, Tifblue, Climax, Premier, O'Neil, and Legacy. None of ours were dwarf plants, but the Legacy acted like one, staying under 18 inches and making about one berry each year. The O'Neil grew to about 4.5 feet high and produced a little in the four years we had it. The others (all rabbiteyes) grew well and were extremely productive. My favorites were the Tifs and Powders.

Unless Raleigh is very different from Hickory, though, this is not the time of year to plant blueberries. I agree with Reactionary: go to a nursery where you can get some good advice.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:45 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,730,277 times
You read the tag correctly. Pollination is more successful when the pollinators go to different varieties. With a few exceptions most blueberries either cannot be pollinated by their own pollen, or have poor results. You may still get fruit but it will not be as big or have as good taste. This is typical of several fruit trees as well.

It will depend on where you live if fall planting of blueberries will work well or not. The above linked resources from the previous posters will help guide you.

Old 09-21-2013, 08:44 AM

I'm a little confused about the fall planting. In NY we always planted bushes in the fall, it was much less stressful for them than planting in the spring. It gave them time to get some fall rain, set up some buds ,then be dormant in the winter, and actually bloom in the spring. Same with perennials. If you plant in the spring you might get some spring rain but then have to water and water and water all summer.

It's not like I'm planting marigolds or tomatos, so more info on why fall planting would not be good would be appreciated.

Old 09-21-2013, 10:54 AM

4,482 posts, read 9,242,769 times
I don't have a complete explanation, but maybe you can put something together from these thoughts:

In California I planted blueberries in December. In Western NC the best time was late February/early March. In Washington, it's a little later. Of course, Lowes and HD will have them much later than that, because they want to sell plants and people aren't thinking about planting during the winter.

I think the idea is to plant them right at the end of their dormant season. Then they aren't being transported or messed with while they are still trying to grow. They can be planted earlier in the dormant season, too, but in some areas the ground will be frozen at that time (probably not in the Triangle). You're right that you don't want to plant blueberries in the spring - it gets too hot too fast, before they can get established. But you should at least wait a couple months.

Don't worry about the buds - you're supposed to take them off the first year anyway, to let your plant get established.

Watering is different in NC. You don't have a consistent dry season and wet rainy season. You may or may not need to water during the summer.

Usually you want your shrubs to develop deep roots. Blueberries are different because their roots are naturally shallow.

And yes, a lot of bushes can be planted in September, but it's not best for blueberries.

Here's some more reading material: Blueberry Growing in the Piedmont | North Carolina Cooperative Extension

Old 09-21-2013, 01:12 PM

thank you! All very helpful info...which has led me to believe that I probably won't be able to grow blueberries in this particular spot ;-(

Old 04-16-2014, 04:14 PM

Okay, fast forward 7 months... I planted ONE blueberry in the fall (because I already had it) and it looked pretty awful two weeks ago. Went and bought two more of the same variety, planted them. I had decided if they didn't work for me I'd take them to my mom's house. Then went out of town for a few days. When I came home, the fall plant was looking MUCH better and the two new plants had blossoms all over them. EMERGENCY! I need that other variety so they can cross polinate!!! So I went hunting for a DIFFERENT variety and realized that what I really needed was something that bloomed at the same time (duh!). So I bought the only variety on the list that was also in bloom. Brought it home, set it between the other flowering ones. Went inside to change into gardening clothes, started thinking about asking y'all how I was going to get these to start cross pollinating. Did I need to tickle the flowers with a paint brush? Put on some Marvin Gaye for them?

But when I went out 10 minutes later, a bumble bee had already found the new plant.

Old 04-17-2014, 12:51 AM

1,965 posts, read 3,286,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Okay, fast forward 7 months... I planted ONE blueberry in the fall (because I already had it) and it looked pretty awful two weeks ago. Went and bought two more of the same variety, planted them. I had decided if they didn't work for me I'd take them to my mom's house. Then went out of town for a few days. When I came home, the fall plant was looking MUCH better and the two new plants had blossoms all over them. EMERGENCY! I need that other variety so they can cross polinate!!! So I went hunting for a DIFFERENT variety and realized that what I really needed was something that bloomed at the same time (duh!). So I bought the only variety on the list that was also in bloom. Brought it home, set it between the other flowering ones. Went inside to change into gardening clothes, started thinking about asking y'all how I was going to get these to start cross pollinating. Did I need to tickle the flowers with a paint brush? Put on some Marvin Gaye for them?

But when I went out 10 minutes later, a bumble bee had already found the new plant.
I was going to mention this because I just now saw this thread but you caught it. Good. With the rabbiteye that I have, some are early, mid, or late season bloomers. Their natural pollination mechanisms should be sufficient to attract natural pollinators.

Only thing is that mine have not grown at all in the 3-4 years they have been there. I suspect it's because of a treeline nearby that may be sapping energy and sunlight. I may move them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden